PDA

View Full Version : How to make peaches last??

jgenie
07-20-2009, 05:42 PM
We picked up our CSA share on Sunday and received 20 peaches. They were hard as rocks on Sunday, but are quickly ripening. Any ideas on how to make them last through the week w/out them spoiling? Should I put them in the fridge or leave them out? TIA

elephantmeg
07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I usually cut them up and freeze them for smoothies/cobblers etc.

ThreeofUs
07-20-2009, 09:05 PM
What Meg said. I blanch them, remove the peel, cut them off the stone, and flash-freeze on a cookie sheet (transferring to a freezer bag or container after about a day).

Peaches go bad so fast... but they're wonderful at that "fully ripe" stage, aren't they?!

Have fun!

tylersmama
07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Putting them in the fridge will buy you at least a couple of days, maybe up to a week. They need to be pretty close to ripe before you refrigerate, though.

urquie
07-21-2009, 03:22 AM
when i have a large amount of peaches, i usually stage them... some on the counter, some on the cool garage floor and some in the fridge. as we eat the ones on the counter, we pull form the garage and then the fridge.

jgenie
07-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the tips - I'm going to try to stage them - never heard of that - to see if we can stay ahead of them. I hate to freeze them when they are just perfect to eat raw, but will try flash freezing if they start getting too ripe. :)