PDA

View Full Version : Ontario friends....call or write your MP's

Clarity
07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
My bff's mother shared this today as she knows the family: http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/668750

My heart just goes out to this family. No one should have to give up their parental rights so that their children can receive the medical care that they need.

(As an aside, I'll admit to being rather surprised this is a problem in Canada, given their healthcare system. I'd love to know more about how and why this sometimes is necessary.)

edited to be more specific

MontrealMum
07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
It sounds like a very sad story :(

Unfortunately, I can't comment much on why or how. Healthcare is provincial, and the family lives in ON; according to the article they are dealing with the Ontario goverment, not the Federal gov't.

I don't know how present-day OHIP deals with special needs people. I do know that other provincial governments have taken children away from parents who did not want to allow them to have lifesaving treatments, or ordered medical treatment through the legal system, but that's been done in the US as well.

Clarity
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I didn't realize each province had control over their healthcare. I changed my title to reflect that though. Thanks for the info!

bubbaray
07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Like the US system, not all services are covered by our insurance. Health care is not free here. It is universal coverage, meaning no one can be deemed "uninsurable". That does not mean, however, that all services are covered by the universal plan. It is most similar to an HMO in the US. Some services are covered, some are not. Many therapies are not covered or have long waits.

Molly is correct, healthcare coverage does vary somewhat by province. Certain things are covered by the Canada Health Act, but for the most part, the provinces (which are akin to but larger than US states) have control over what is covered and what is not.

For example, in my province autism ABA therapy is not covered. If parents want their children to receive that therapy, they have to pay for it out of pocket. There was a lawsuit a couple of years ago and the courts found in favor of the government -- it is within the gov't's jurisdiction exclusively to determine what is covered and what is not.

It is hard for individual families who encounter this type of problem, but for the great majority of people here, they do receive timely access to quality healthcare.

FWIW, for a family of four, our coverage costs $120 or so per month. DH's employer pays that. That is for the universal coverage. Extended health coverage (prescriptions, physio, massage, chiro, dental) is extra and generally provided by larger employers.