PDA

View Full Version : How long did you use your Moby Wrap for?

zephyr
07-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Just curious. I am not pregnant *yet* but am already researching carriers. I didn't use them for ds but am really hoping I will for future babies. I see this one gets mentioned on the boards a lot. So how long did you use your Moby for? Was it mostly during the infant stage or did you continue through the toddler stage? Also how easy was it to use?

KBecks
07-21-2009, 12:32 AM
It is a lot of fabric to wrap. We used it mostly for the first 4-6 months. Our babe is 9 months now and I am done with it, but he is a large babe. I liked the Moby but I am not super into baby wearing.

catpagmo
07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Still using mine and DS is almost 5 months.

MomToOne
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I used mine for the first 2 months or so. It is really comfortable, especially right after giving birth. The weight is distributed evenly, and the baby is cocooned up nice and snug. However, it *is* a lot of fabric, and can be intimidating. If I didn't put it on correctly the first time, I'd have to redo the whole thing, and both the baby and I would get really frustrated and start to overheat.

I have heard good things about the sleepywrap which is a lighter, stretchier fabric. Also, if you can practice before the baby arrives with a teddy bear or something that would probably help a lot

hellokitty
07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
About the first 6 mo, then I switch to a mei tai.

zephyr
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks all! So I'm guessing the average is around 6 months. BTW, I like the idea of practicing with a teddy bear before baby arrives to get it right.

kijip
07-22-2009, 12:40 AM
6 months and still going strong. But my 6 month old is only now working on 15 pounds, so not the biggest of babies

ahrimie
07-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I could only do it up to 4 months or so. While I loved it, wrapping and undoing was a lot of work. Also, I'm very petite and slim naturally so I had a ton of fabric leftover. I wish there were a petite version... I seriously contemplated cutting some fabric off!

choopi
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I think I really only used my Moby for about the first six weeks when I really wanted my baby snuggled up in a cocoon. I did master the Hug Hold, but my dd would get impatient with me and cry when she had to wait for me to wrap and unwrap it. After that, I switched to the Bjorn Active and have been really happy with it.

I did try the Moby again a few days ago (my dd is now 5 months) and I had some trouble adjusting it so she could face out. She kept flopping forward. I think I need to practice, since it's a new wrap position. I love the Bjorn, but feel like I should give the Moby another try since it was expensive and I didn't get a ton of use out of it!

hobie
08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I used the moby for about 5-6 months, then switched over to a Beco (and a Yamo, and a few others ;) ).

Check out more carriers at www.thebabywearer.com ...there is tons of info over there!

elektra
08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Moby for the 1st 3 months. I used it on almost a daily basis for several weeks though! We are now using the ergo more.

sweetsoul99
09-02-2009, 04:56 PM
haha, congrats on getting a head start!! there is so much to think about!! My daughter used our Moby for 6 weeks. At which point she HATED facing in, and had to put her in the snugli so we could face out. (My snugli has a back strap so it's waaaaay better than a bjorn) She is now too heavy for that option, so I"m waiting for my Beco.

I'd definately recommend some sort of sling style carrier for the first bit, although my daughters put up with facing in in the soft structured carrier at first, it wasn't all that comfortable. they'd much rather be snuggled (but it depends on the baby)

okinawama
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I have a 20lb 5mo old and still go to it for certain situations! It was a LIFE SAVER in the beginning. If I couldn't get him to sleep I knew without a doubt he would sleep like a rock in that thing. Traveling with it is awesome, I have never had to take him out of it through security, it is so my go to carrier for travel. It is worth it's weight in gold, and practice before the baby comes is great, and will help you feel as comfortable as you possibly can.

hapimommy
09-10-2009, 01:56 AM
I used mine for one month, and thought it was a huge waste of money. My baby is really big and gets hot fast so he would start crying and squirming when I tried to stuff him in there. It also took forever to put on and to take him out.

eliasmom
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Still going strong at nearly 4 months! DS is much happier in it now when I wrap him really tight in the hug hold (he never liked his legs restricted in the frog-type position). It gets easier to wrap with practice.

I also have an Ergo and a new Beco. We have started using the Ergo for times when I need to get him in quickly. He is hit or miss in the Beco, mostly because he hates having fabric over eye level and he is still a little bit too short to have his head clear the top of the Beco.