PDA

View Full Version : Can't reach the seat belt buckles with the seat installed...

azzeps
07-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Ok, my title totally didn't explain what I needed, so here goes... I hope this is clear...

We have a Marathon seat installed rear facing in our 2006 Jetta in the center position. When I am sitting back there next to the car seat, it is nearly impossible to buckle my own seatbelt, because of the way the car seat is positioned on top of the buckles. They are almost underneath the seat. I have to get just the right angle and twist my hand just so in order to buckle my own seat belt. Does any one else have this problem? It would be so much easier if there were some kind of "extender" to put permanently in the buckle so that I could reach the buckle more easily back there.

Any suggestions?

Joolsplus2
07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
What might be 'just the thing' is to use a small rolled towel or small pool noodle section under the front of the MA base between the belt anchors. I'm assuming your seat is installed with the seatbelt, because LATCH use is not permitted in the center there...(?). But really that small pool noodle or towel has made buckles accessible to me in lots of cars, it just lifts the base out of the way an inch or two so the buckles are easy to reach. :)

azzeps
08-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Really? It's not supposed to be in the center with LATCH? I thought that was the safest position in which to put a car seat. It is a rock solid installation - the seat DOES NOT BUDGE when I try to move it around, that's how tightly installed it is. REALLY? You mean I've been driving around with my 17 month old thinking she's as safe as can be back there (rear facing still) and she's not? GAH. I'm so embarrassed.

sariana
08-05-2009, 03:51 AM
The LATCH systems are tested on the outboard seats. Using one anchor from each side is not the same as using both anchors together (from one side). Your car may be one of the few (I think there are a few) that has center LATCH. Chances are, though, that you are not "supposed" to use the center position.

But that does NOT mean that your child has been unsafe. "Not tested" is not the same as "not safe." Don't beat yourself up over this. It is just another example of how confusing the whole child restraint issue is and how changes meant to help (requiring LATCH e.g.) do not always work out as intended.

azzeps
08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
So should I leave it in the center and secure it with the seatbelt, or should I move it to one side so I can secure it with LATCH? I'm so confused. But then, I'm easily confused sometimes...