PDA

View Full Version : Looking for breakfast recipes

jgenie
07-21-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm hoping to start making our pancakes and waffles from scratch using whole wheat flour and am hoping someone has an easy recipe to share. Also, I've heard you can bake bacon in the oven instead of making it on the stove. Does anyone do this? What temp and for how long?
TIA

misshollygolightly
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I make all our pancakes from scratch by following any basic recipe (the buttermilk pancakes one in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook is great--lemme know if you need me to post it), and replacing 1/2 of the flour in the recipe with whole wheat. Sometimes I add a T of wheat bran if I have any sitting around. Sometimes, just for kicks, I add 1/2 c of fresh blueberries, 1/4 c chopped nuts, or maybe a little vanilla and cinnamon if I want to shake things up.

I don't do bacon in the oven, but we do microwave it. Line a microwave-safe plate with at least a double-thickness of paper towels. Lay the bacon on the towels, and cover with another paper towel. Microwave for about a minute at a time until desired crispness (you may want to switch out some of the greasy towels for new ones as you go). Turkey bacon is also good done this way!

marie
07-21-2009, 08:05 PM
i cook bacon in the oven - 400 degrees. 7 minutes, rotate pan, continue baking for another 7 minutes. Check on it and decide if it needs longer depending on desired crispness. (I actually end up taking some off of the pan early since DH likes his bacon less burned, umm, i mean, crisp than I do!)

we use a great ALL whole wheat pancake recipe. it is from Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for (More) Food" cookbook.

ooh - i found a link for it:
http://www.recipezaar.com/alton-browns-fluffy-whole-wheat-pancakes-367290

we generally use King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour (it is made from white wheat instead of red wheat - still whole wheat, just a milder tasting wheat) and you can barely tell that they are whole wheat.

For waffles, I just usually substitute half of the AP flour with WW flour. If you have a recent edition of Joy of Cooking, there is a recipe for Honey Bran waffles that is good (AP flour, WW flour, cornmeal and oats).

In my attempt at losing weight, I've been eating steel-cut oats for breakfast every day instead of our usual pancakes, waffles, french toast, biscuits, etc. Boy, am i missing those right now!!

Happy Breakfasts! (it's our family's favorite meal of the day!)

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07