PDA

View Full Version : top tether question

clc053103
07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I just got my first new non-BMW car since DS was born and I need instal help. In any BMW I had the top tether strap going underneath the headrest and then hooked into the anchor. Now we got a cadillac and it seems that the strap fits better going AROUND the headrest on either side (this is on a MA if it makes a difference- but the seat that will "really" be there is a RN). If I put them under the headrest, the straps would sorta be pinched in. Is around the headrest acceptable? I can get it tight this way.

As a side note, new vehicle has a third row, and the seat that "moves" to allow entrance to the third row is passenger side outboard, the place where DS's seat has always been. Is it much less "safe" to move to drivers side outboard? I will try center first but if that blocks the passenger outboard seat's ability to flip forward (hoping not, since the RN is so narrow) is drivers side ok positioning in a RN?

Thank you!

WatchingThemGrow
07-21-2009, 08:18 AM
We usually remove the headrest for tethering and to make the seat sit flush against the car.

pastrygirl
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I would check the Cadillac's manual. My Subaru manual requires the head rest to be removed.

HIU8
07-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Yup, I have the headrest removed from my Odyssey and I store it in the house (along with the 8th seat and the plastic that covers the bar I use for RF my other seat).

clc053103
07-21-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks I will double check the manual- I had originally read the manual for install after what the dealer showed me were tether "anchors" weren't really anchors at all- I STILL havent' figured out what they really are.

So is the "safest" seat for a child seat center, then passenger side, then drivers side in that order outdated? I thought I read that somewhere.

Joolsplus2
07-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Center's safest IF you can get a good install. Either side seems to vary in safeness (statistically) from year to year, so just do what is most convenient...as long as it's installed and used properly, it really doesn't mater what side it's on.

:)

clc053103
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
thank you!! I will be "officially" installing the RN this weekend, will try center first (now that DS is old enough to climb over there himself) and hope for a good fit and no interference with the p/s seat operation!