PDA

View Full Version : "On the Go" snack ideas please

jgenie
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
It seems we're always running out of the house trying to get somewhere and don't have time to pack snacks. I would love suggestions for things I can put in my diaper bag or keep in the car for when we're out and about and we get hungry. DS loves the Brother's fruit snacks - I don't like them for me so much. Other than granola bars, what other snacks would last if stored in the diaper bag or car? What do you keep handy? TIA

pinkmomagain
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Pretzels
Goldfish
Dry cereal
Nuts (for you)
Crackers

calv
07-21-2009, 09:47 AM
i pack a little cooler w/an icepak. '

grapes, or any fruit in a small container, yougurt, string cheese are always a huge hit in addition to the dry (no need to keep cold type of snacks)

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
I keep a box of Cinnamon Bunnies (Annie's brand) in the car along with a bag of pretzels. That way I always have something on hand to refill our little snack containers if we are out. Otherwise my list looks like Gina's. PSA- skip the fruit snacks. My dentist says they are the worst for their teeth b/c of all the sugar and how they stick in the pits of the molars. Now, if you brush soon after they'd be ok. :)

Beth

jgenie
07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I keep a box of Cinnamon Bunnies (Annie's brand) in the car along with a bag of pretzels. That way I always have something on hand to refill our little snack containers if we are out. Otherwise my list looks like Gina's. PSA- skip the fruit snacks. My dentist says they are the worst for their teeth b/c of all the sugar and how they stick in the pits of the molars. Now, if you brush soon after they'd be ok. :)

Beth

Do you think that includes the freeze dried or just the regular dried fruit snacks?

geochick
07-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Any nut allergies?

We keep a big container (Costco) of cashews in our car. My kids love them, and they are full of energy to get us through the between-meal-times in the car.

lil_acorn
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
crackers
goldfish
nutrigrain bars
cheerios

if it isn't gonig to be hot in the car:
banana or some other fruit

ourbabygirl
07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I do all of the above plus raisins or another dried fruit (cherries, cranberries). Triscuits are also good- have fiber, so they'll keep you full longer. I know it's not good for you, but I also bring one or two single serving packets (they come in boxes of 10 or something) of Kool-Aid to add to my water bottle if I need some flavor in the day. You can also get these in Crystal Light and Lipton iced teas.

baymom
07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
We do a lot of what has been posted and one more favorite of ours are the Clif for Kids bars. They sometimes like a bag of microwave popcorn, too.

boolady
07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Annie's bunny crackers (cheddar, cinnamon graham, etc.)
Z-Bars (the aforementioned Clif bars for kids)
small pretzels
Puffins or Corn Chex dry cereal
Baked pita chips

tiapam
07-22-2009, 12:34 AM
365 Cereal bars from Whole Foods - I like apple and berry best. These are just for me as DD does not like and DS only gets them at home in the high chair. They can get kind of squishy in a bag though, so I keep them in a little cubby in the car. For the kids, I try to always have goldfish, and they also both like saltines. And for me, pretzels and something sweet, like cookies or animal crackers. When it gets cold out, I like the mini chocolate covered Loackers from Costco. I never seem to have enough food in the car.

ahrimie
07-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I recently found Trader Joes' cereal bars and bought the fig ones (had the least sugar out of all the different fruit flavors) and my DD LOVED them. Actually, I think she loves anything in a shiny wrapper! :)

There, I also found "Apple Crushers" which is basically applesauce (there's one with carrots in it too that we bought and it's yum!) in a small capri sun pouch. It's good on the go because you can just squeeze it out.

We also do string cheese, cheerios, and yogurt.

sariana
07-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Do you think that includes the freeze dried or just the regular dried fruit snacks?

I had the same thought. The Brother's fruit snacks (crisps) are just freeze-dried fruit. They have the same amount of sugar as the actual fruit would have, nothing added.

I know that raisins and other sticky "condensed" fruits are murder on the teeth, but I think the crisps are different. They don't even need to be chewed because they eventually will dissolve.

hellokitty
07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
In a cooler you can bring fruit, like bananas, grapes, strawberries, and cheese.

TwinFoxes
07-22-2009, 09:20 AM
There, I also found "Apple Crushers" which is basically applesauce (there's one with carrots in it too that we bought and it's yum!) in a small capri sun pouch. It's good on the go because you can just squeeze it out.

These are our new favorite TJs buy. We get the apple/carrot ones because they still taste good but get some veggies into the girls. We squeeze them into oatmeal and I've used them on waffles. I'm thinking of using them in yogurt next. I haven't used them by themselves yet as a snack just because I don't think it would be easy for the girls at this age.