PDA

View Full Version : Godparent Gifts

swrc00
07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Did you buy DC's godparents a gift? If so what did you buy? I don't think I received a gift for being godparents in the past.

DS's godparents are not a couple, so it needs to be two separate gifts.
On a side note the godmother and her husband are going through the adoption process right now. I was thinking maybe an adoption book. My other thought is this really neat wind chime made by a local artist. TIA

jgenie
07-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I didn't get DS' godparents gifts - I had planned to have a picture of him with them framed, but never got around to doing it. :( I like the idea of the wind chimes - it's something they can use for a long time and they will think of your DS when they see or hear it.

kijip
07-21-2009, 11:50 PM
The honor of being a godparent?

Please don't take this personally, but I think gift giving is getting a little bit out of hand in our culture. Being a godparent is an honor and a responsibility, the fact that someone respects me enough to ask me to be their child's godparent and include me in their family in such a special and meaningful way is good enough for me. I think the most precious thing you can give them is a letter explaining why you chose them. Maybe it's just me but it the every-occasion gift giving we see presently IMO cheapens some of life's most significant moments. Something sentimental seems best but don't those seem like something you would otherwise give a member of your family- photos, homemade gifts, holiday gifts that are personally suited to the recipient, invitations to dinner and holidays etc?

Happy 2B mommy
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
It never occurred to me to give DD's godparents a gift. DH and I are godparents to DD's godparents DCs. We consider it an honor and would never expect a gift.

The only extra "gifts" exchanged between us is that we give pictures of the kiddos that are given to family.

Reyadawnbringer
07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
yea, I agree with the PP's who said that the honor of being a Godparent is a gift enough. I am not a Godparent myself, but for my son's Godparents we wrote them a heartfelt thank you letter and included a few pictures from the baptism in the letter.

Also, as a gesture of thanks to both the deacon who baptised my son and my son's new Godparents we made 2 donations to the church (beyond our normal Sunday donations). They expressed their gratitude at the gesture because it was a way of thanking them, but also paying it forward.

Hope that helps.

On a side note though at the reception we held for them after the baptism THEY brought gifts for my son- not expensive gifts, but they were nice and religious in nature due to the occasion.

swrc00
07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
The honor of being a godparent?

Please don't take this personally, but I think gift giving is getting a little bit out of hand in our culture. Being a godparent is an honor and a responsibility, the fact that someone respects me enough to ask me to be their child's godparent and include me in their family in such a special and meaningful way is good enough for me. I think the most precious thing you can give them is a letter explaining why you chose them. Maybe it's just me but it the every-occasion gift giving we see presently IMO cheapens some of life's most significant moments. Something sentimental seems best but don't those seem like something you would otherwise give a member of your family- photos, homemade gifts, holiday gifts that are personally suited to the recipient, invitations to dinner and holidays etc?

This was exactly what I was thinking!!!! Thank you so much for writing it. :bighand: