PDA

View Full Version : SECOND UPDATE:Somebody slap my landlord, please.

MamaMolly
07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Well in spite of all warnings to the contrary my LL has decided to come. She said she has photos of the house empty she can show the prospective buyers/tennents. And that furniture just makes a place look strange.

Honey, I'll tell you what is strange!! My LL is strange. That woman is a nut.

Anyway, I'm very glad to note that the other unit down the street is for sale $20k less than this one AND has a $20K back to the buyer at purchase. So it is really like it is $40K less. Har-de-har-har.

I didn't sleep well but composed a lovely email to the LL that pretty much said it is your house, if you want to come you can but this is what it will look like. Funny, I haven't heard back. :hysterical:

Thanks for all your advice and support. I agree she gave us plenty of notice, but I'm on bedrest tomorrow, light duty for a few days after, so we aren't going to be improving things much before she gets here. Oh, and I told her that too. So she gets what she gets.

I'd try harder if she hadn't been such a $h!t about extending our lease. She basically told us that she wouldn't extend our lease for 4 months until we leave and to suck it up. So we were looking at paying for a move, new place and all the $$ it takes to get it up and going for 4 months. Such a heartless attitude after two years of telling us what great tenants we were and how lucky she was to have us. She didn't have to extend the lease, but the way she went about it was pretty nasty.

Funny thing is that it turns out that when you totally overprice in a down market there aren't people beating a path to your door to purchase or rent your craptastic townhouse. So we've been able to stay here for and extra month and a half. At a serious increase in rent, of course.

I'm interested in seeing if she comes, but not really stressing at this point.
Cheers,
Molly

Dear Landlord,
You've GOT to be kidding me. You email me on a TUESDAY NIGHT that you are going to be in town for the weekend and want to show the house?:ROTFLMAO: I laugh because the other options aren't pretty.

We are moving out in less than a month. We are packing for an overseas move. Where we have to pack our food for two years along with all our regular stuff and you want to show the house NOW????

Oh, and since you didn't ask, let me add that we are smack dab in the middle of an IVF attempt. ANd that my MIL is here 'helping' which really means she is facilitating DH not doing any parenting? ANd DD is acting like a nut?

How in the name of all that is Holy do I tell her she is welcome to come but she'll need a snorkel and sherpa to get through the house????

OMG. Where is that eye twitching smiley???

:54: here I come.

KpbS
07-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh WOW! Big hugs. That is insane. If it were me, I'd just go about your packing and planning and not worry a bit about this recently announced showing. I would let her know that you are in the midst of packing and just let her deal w/ it.

:hug:

MontrealMum
07-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Ugh! I remember back about 10 years ago now, when we were renting from some real winners. Not my story, yours, so I won't go into it. The day we were moving out - everyone had been duly informed and notified - they decided to show the house! WTF!?! The LL's son rang the bell minutes before our truck showed up to tell us - no notice or anything (we have a rental board here in QC, all this stuff is very tightly regulated). I was at the end of my rope, moving is stressful enough. So, I told him, fine, show the place, but don't expect anyone to move out of your way or stop if a fridge is coming down the stairs ;) Somehow, the place didn't get shown that day.

Do you have a fridge? :p Dogs are good too in this situation :)

almostamom
07-22-2009, 01:17 AM
If the LL insists on showing the property, they get what they get - oh well!! On a side note, how in the world do you pack food for two years???? I can't even begin to imagine the planning, organizing, and packing that you are doing right now! Hang in there!

Linda

citymama
07-22-2009, 02:38 AM
I SO hear you. My evil former landlady (she really was evil) showed our apartment 8 days after DD was born, giving us about 28 hours notice. We were nice enough to give her 90 days notice before leaving (why oh why did DH mention it?), and she promptly turned our place into a showroom. (DH put a huge sign outside our door asking all prospective renters to take their shoes off and Purell their hands with the handy-dandy Purell container at the door!)

Hugs to you and sorry you are having to deal with this at such a rough time.

LarsMal
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Ugh, what a PITA!

I agree with pp- just tell the LL they they are welcome to show the house, but you are in the process of packing so it's not going to be in the best shape. The LL should understand- after all the reason they need to show it is because you are moving out!! Just shove stuff to the side so they can walk through, but don't worry about the rest!

GL! I didn't realize you were moving so soon.

bubbaray
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
That SUCKS. Remember, you can still drink until implantation.... Biiiig glass of wine. And possibly a second.

DebbieJ
07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I think she has given you plenty of notice. Of course since you are in the middle of packing, the house won't be quite "show ready" but she'll just have to deal with it.

egoldber
07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Given that they know you are moving and packing, if they want to show the house in that condition, that is their problem, not yours :)

mommylamb
07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm also curious about the packing food for 2 years thing.... where on earth are you going?

niccig
07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I SO hear you. My evil former landlady (she really was evil) showed our apartment 8 days after DD was born, giving us about 28 hours notice. We were nice enough to give her 90 days notice before leaving (why oh why did DH mention it?), and she promptly turned our place into a showroom. (DH put a huge sign outside our door asking all prospective renters to take their shoes off and Purell their hands with the handy-dandy Purell container at the door!)

Hugs to you and sorry you are having to deal with this at such a rough time.

And I thought only our landlady was that bad. DS was a month old and we bought a house. The landlady was someone DH used to work with, who had moved interstate. She said her friend would show the house, well he put signs on the front lawn with OUR phone number in huge numbers and his cell number in tiny writing. The phone was ringing off the hook..so DH changed our answering machine message directing all phone calls to the friend's cell phone and we didn't answer the phone. This and other things really get me angry, but she had a large bond from us, and we needed it back. Finally we moved out and a week later she emailed us saying that we needed to let the plumbers in to do some work before the new tennants moved in. DH told her firmy but nicely (she still had our bond) that we were no longer living in her house and we didn't have the keys as had mailed them to her (lie as we hadnt' done it yet) and that I with a 1 month old baby and a new house with our own plumbing issues, would not be at her house to let the plumbers in.

I really think some people have no clue. So, OP tell the landlady that she can come over but as you are in the middle of packing, there are lots of boxes everywhere...