PDA

View Full Version : ot: when to call animal control?

AnnieW625
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
My neighbors left for vacation Sunday or Monday morning. They left their two small dogs in the backyard. We are not close to the nextdoor neighbors so they did not tell us how long they were going to be gone. The dogs bark all night long, and the first night we noticed they neighbors weren't home the dogs got out (they have a history of getting out) and ended up behind their house in the back neighbor's side yard. So it's now been four days and DH thinks he should call animal control. What would you do?

mytwosons
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I would have called the Humane Society when I realized they were on vacation and left their dogs outside. Some people should not have pets.

jse107
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Without hesistation I would call. I would also peek over to see if they have any food or water!

cvanbrunt
07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd call animal control and the Humane Society. I doubt the HS can do anything but they might have suggestions. Tell animal control the dogs have been abandoned. They should come pretty quickly.

ETA: When we had neighbors who had no business having dogs we called the HS and explained our concerns and what we had witnessed. They sent an employee over to talk to them about proper care, get them vouchers for vaccines and nuetering, etc. They didn't give our names.

TwinFoxes
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd call now. Call the humane society though, so they don't end up at a city shelter.

Are they still outside their own yard? Poor doggies, they're probably confused. I hope they don't wander further and get really lost.

bubbaray
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd totally call the HS. Poor doggies! My dog eats 2x/day and if I'm 5min late with his food, he freaks! He would go completely nuts if we left him alone for 4 days. Not to mention that he would definitely eat 4 days worth of food within seconds of our departure and then starve for the next 4 days.

Ceepa
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I'd call immediately.

AnnieW625
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks, I just placed the call and animal control said they would check the place out. They said they would leave a note on the door so I can check and see what they found when we get home tonight.

I am hoping that the owners would've left enough food for the dogs and that they know how to use a fawcet adaptor, but since I don't feel safe going into their backyard I have no way of knowing that otherwise.