PDA

View Full Version : Britax Chaperone vs Chicco Keyfit 30 for preemie

audys
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi, I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant and on bed rest in the hospital because my water broke 10 days ago. Looks like I'm going to have a preemie on the way although we hope to make it to 28 or 34 weeks before his arrival.

I'm researching infant car seats for preemies to take the lower weight limits and I seem to be settling on either the new Britax Chaperone vs Chicco Keyfit 30.

Any experiences with either of these for low-birthweight babies and/or preemies and how they did?

Anyone have a Britax Chaperone and they can share with me how they like it?

Thanks so much! Audrey

AnnieW625
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
The Britax Chaperone is really new, but it's just an updated Companion; however I do think it does have a few things the Companion doesn't. A friend of mine with early birth twins had Companions and seemed to like them, but it's really a either you liked the Companion or your didn't. The carseat forum moderator here Julie says that the Keyfit 30 is a really good seat for premies.

I would also post this and or look for reviews of the Chaperone on car-seat.org forums/site.

Good luck with your bed rest.

lorinick
07-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I would go with the Chicco it's tried a true and a great seat. The new Britax seat is to new to get any great feedback with real life people using it. I work part time at BRU and it just came in and the base is really large it does even seat on the shelf correctly due to how large the base is. I have not tried installing one in anyone's car yet. Maybe over the weekend.

codex57
07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah, KeyFit is tried and true. Just go with that one.

pastrygirl
07-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I bought the Chaperone, and returned it for the Keyfit30. I didn't like the way the Chaperone fit in my car; the base is very long, so it overhangs the seat (maybe by too much in some cars), the angle didn't look quite right even though the bubble indicator said it was fine, and it was really hard to get out of the base -- I needed to move the front seat up and use two hands. The seat itself was pretty bulky, too, especially compared to the Keyfit.

FWIW, I didn't like my Companion, either.

lorinick
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I bought the Chaperone, and returned it for the Keyfit30. I didn't like the way the Chaperone fit in my car; the base is very long, so it overhangs the seat (maybe by too much in some cars), the angle didn't look quite right even though the bubble indicator said it was fine, and it was really hard to get out of the base -- I needed to move the front seat up and use two hands. The seat itself was pretty bulky, too, especially compared to the Keyfit.

FWIW, I didn't like my Companion, either.

The seat is very long as I said it doesn't fit on a BRU shelf with the other seats.

kijip
07-24-2009, 01:58 AM
I have seen an under 5 pounder (my niece) in a KeyFit 30 and she fit well. I don't know how big premies are before they come home from the hospital and need a carseat. She was a month or so early. My guy was 6 pounds, 2 ounces when we brought him home (again, just shy of full-term) in a KeyFit and it worked really well.

tnrnchick74
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Most preemies have to be AT LEAST 4 lbs before they come home (in order to have enough fat to maintain body temp) but most are 5-6 lbs, depending on how long they were there, what complications, etc.

For our parents who actually research carseats, the keyfit is the popular choice. I just saw a little one go home in a SS1 also...THAT was a weird look as the baby was swallowed by the seat!

audys
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I was enthralled by the fancy foam insert that goes in the Britax and how it raises a preemie up (see photos here: http://carseatblog.com/?p=2714). Anyone use the infant insert on the Keyfit? How does it work? Is it just a head support or does it go under the body and raise the baby up so the straps fit better like the Britax?

From what I've read, the baby will probably be 4-5 lbs when we go home and some have respiratory issues so good support is a big deal.

I have one 5yr old DS and he was a full term baby weighing 6 lbs 2 oz so he fit into everything well. This is turning into such a different experience!

TIA for your feedback. I love these boards and the parents that help others of us out, Audrey

lorinick
07-25-2009, 04:02 PM
The Key Fit does have an infant insert. And work great with preterm babies. Babies usually can't go home until they weight 4.6lb. And the seat is great for that. But if you want to spend the extra money to buy a Britax infant seat go for it, but eh Chicco seat is a great choice and is tried and true. I didn't really see anything great about the video clip you posted. Maybe I missed something.

audys
07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi, the Britax infant insert is a special piece of foam that goes under the car seat cover and raises up the small baby's whole body so the straps fit better and gives the baby has good back support (see link above). There are two photos on the web site that show this (not so much the video) with a preemie doll. Very clever.

I'm wondering how the Chicco keyfit infant insert works? I had a Peg Perego Primo Viaggra for my DS and the "infant insert" was just the U shaped foam around the head.

The Chicco is cheaper than than the Britax but has no rebound bar. The Britax sounds bigger and we have an Odyssey van. We'll need to check them out in person.

Thanks for all the feedback so far and more is welcome! Audrey

babychi
07-25-2009, 05:38 PM
The KeyFit has a removable head/body infant insert, whereas the Peg's SIP headwings are not removable. I've been told this helps you use the KeyFit longer than the Peg, since it allows more room for the baby to grow.

I was at BRU last night and saw the Chaperone in person...it's a HUGE seat. Personally, I'd feel better going with the KeyFit, especially since there are a lot more (and almost always positive) reviews on it.

stracedh
07-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Just saw your thread. Not sure if you made your decision or not. I have the Keyfit 30. I absolutely love it. It is super easy to use! My ds was only 3 wks early. At discharge from hosp he was 19" and 5 lb 8 oz. He fit well, but I did use 2 thin receiving blankets rolled together for a short time to stabilize his head. The newborn insert was great and I think can be used up to 11 or 12 lbs. I am still using the head support. It is not overly bulky but adds a little cushion and seems to help if ds is sleeping. He's 16m now. I have no idea how to post pics but if you want to see a pic of him in it when we left the hospital, pm me with your email.

sunshine873
07-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Audrey,

My heart goes out to you. I've been in your exact spot. My water broke @ 22 weeks and I held on for 4 more weeks until my DD was born @ 26 weeks. 1 lb, 8 ozs then. 10 lbs, 13 oz now (6 months later) & doing great.

Hopefully you're still hanging in there. Every day helps, so try to stay calm!

Anyway...to your question. I bought the Keyfit for my DD. She was 4 lbs, 3 ozs and 16" long when she came home. She looked so tiny in the big seat, yet well protected. The infant insert does lift them up from the bottom in addition to extra padding on the sides. The car seat expert nurse in the NICU did add in some cloths on either side of the headrest, since DD was so tiny. But really, I was thrilled with the fit. (see pictures)

In addition to that, it's super easy to use. It snaps in & out of the base easily and it's easy to put into a car without the base too. Sure, it doesn't fit into a whole lot of strollers, etc. But when you're at the point you're in, that just doesn't seem quite as important...does it? :)

Best of luck to you and your LO. Keep on baking!

P.S. If you need to talk (while on bedrest, the NICU roller-coaster or anything else) feel free to PM me!