PDA

View Full Version : We have 0 name ideas.

srhs
07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
That's right: 0.
We had a name we were very ambivalent about--liked it for a lot of reasons but disliked it for some reasons. The dislikes have overtaken the likes.

I like NO other names (or can't use them for whatever reason...doesn't go with last name, someone else in fam, etc.)

No first names. No middle names. I'm pretty sure this is a problem.

WatchingThemGrow
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a problem.
.:stork-boy:08/09
:ROTFLMAO:
Sounds like time for a name thread! It only takes a few hours if you give good parameters. I never wanted to do one myself as I thought we could do it ourselves since we already named 2 DC. Sure enough, the mamas here helped us with some ideas, and it was fun to hear all the suggestions. Granted, we had the medical staff make tally marks on the list of names DH wrote on the whiteboard after delivery, but I do like the things people said on here about the name we ended up choosing, even though I initially thought it was the most boring, mundane name ever.

SnuggleBuggles
07-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Go to a baseball game! Go and listen to all of the players get announced and see if you like any of those names and they will usually lead to some similar names in your brain that you can fool around with.

Or, you could do what I did and had dh and I pick numbers from 1-100 and then looked up the corresponding names on the SSA name database. (you could even pick up to #500 but I noticed after a while the names were repetitive, just with "creative" spellings.)

We went to the birth center with 5 possible names for ds2. We didn't even have a middle name picked out. It took us till he was 7 hours old to decide on something. I kind of liked not going into the birth with a name and getting to meet the baby first. Some names we ruled out right off the bat when we met him. There's no shame in not having a name picked out before the baby is born or even needing a few days after!

Beth

Twoboos
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
You could watch movie credits. Lots of names there, all scrolling right by! :D

HIU8
07-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Do you have a letter in mind--meaning a letter used in either family for numerous names, or naming after a relative? Have you looked at the top 100 names from the census for 2008 yet? Do you have a favorite book/character?

I love the name threads on the board. We didn't have a choice really (we name after deceased relatives - the actual name or the first letter). Both DS and DD are named for grandparents and aunts. I find it fascinating to be able to really start from scratch with names.

sste
07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Highly rec. the book "Baby Name Wizard."

Staraglimmer
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.babynamegenie.com/

This site really helped us. We looked it over for names. The genie himself is ok, but the site offers good advice. It also has polls. We saw DD's name on someone else's poll.

KpbS
07-23-2009, 11:58 PM
What about entering your former fave into http://www.nymbler.com/

This site is kinda uncanny to me. It is so cool to see names that I really do like suggested to me by way of another name I really like. Check it out.

GL

maestramommy
07-24-2009, 07:20 AM
When we were looking for names the second time around Dh went on a race site, and started looking at all the names of female finishers. We saw a lot of interesting names!

rwiklendt
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Funny, I thought you were looking for names that started with 'O', not that you had zero names! :ROTFLMAO: FWIW, I was going to post Oliver!

LarsMal
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Just talk to my husband- the man will name your baby in a matter of minutes! He spent more time on baby name sites than any woman I know! We jokingly call him the "Baby Name Guru" and I have friends who have actually called (either for themselves or a friend) to check with my DH and see if the name works! He's helped name several babies now!

Good luck!!

srhs
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Just talk to my husband- the man will name your baby in a matter of minutes! He spent more time on baby name sites than any woman I know! We jokingly call him the "Baby Name Guru" and I have friends who have actually called (either for themselves or a friend) to check with my DH and see if the name works! He's helped name several babies now!

Good luck!!
So what's his fee?

LarsMal
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
So what's his fee?

Chocolate cupcakes should do it!

american_mama
07-26-2009, 11:53 PM
>> Just talk to my husband- the man will name your baby in a matter of minutes! He spent more time on baby name sites than any woman I know! We jokingly call him the "Baby Name Guru" and I have friends who have actually called (either for themselves or a friend) to check with my DH and see if the name works! He's helped name several babies now!

That is hysterical. When I emailed people to tell them I was pregnant, I also asked for name ideas. My cousin-in-law said that her sister loves to talk names, considers it a hobby, and she gave me her email address. So I had a running email conversation with the sister, a virtual stranger, throughout the whole pregnancy. It was quite fun.

Gena
07-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Everytime I see this thread I misread the title and think that you can only come up with names starting with the letter "O". I thought maybe you only liked names such as Oscar and Orianna, but they somehow don't work with your last name.

Anyway, there have been somne good suggestions here. I hope you find something you like.

hellokitty
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
What about entering your former fave into http://www.nymbler.com/

This site is kinda uncanny to me. It is so cool to see names that I really do like suggested to me by way of another name I really like. Check it out.

GL

:yeahthat: This is how I found our name for DS3. I was totally stumped as to what to name, yet another boy, since we used up our favorite names for DS1 and DS2 for first and middle names. Turns out that the name we picked this time seems to be one that everyone is really keen about. I did not realize how well it would go over. The only one who questioned it was my mom of course, but EVERY time she hears the names I pick for my kids she questions it. So, she's the one with issues.

fivi2
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Do a baby name thread in the Lounge - those are fun!

scoop22
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
we went into both deliveries with no names. it will come to you. i stressed for weeks. dh didn't want to pick a name before. MORE STRESS! hugs :hug: i know it is tough. you want the best for your little one. i am positive you will choose a great name!!!