PDA

View Full Version : need recs for dad's & grandma's cars

maydaymommy
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi,

We are basically car seat novices, due to the fact that we started with the Orbit infant seat and moved on to the Orbit toddler car seat. I don't know anything about the more typical options - not what to look for, not how to install, nothing.

DS is a smaller 2 year old (almost 27 months). He weighs just 26.5 lbs and is 34" (not sure of exact height right now, but he has never been more than 40th percentile in height, and usually closer to 20th.) He is rear-facing in his Orbit, and will stay so for quite a while. I also want him to be rear-facing in the new seats.

It's time for us to get a seat for Dad's car and a seat for Mom-mom's car. Here is some info about both:

Dad's Car - 2005 Honda Pilot. Can stay installed almost all of the time, since there aren't many additional passengers in his backseat very often.

Mom-mom's Car - New Infiniti EX or FX (?). It's a small crossover/SUV. I am concerned that she will be taking the seat out (uninstalling) frequently, due to the fact that she often drives other people around and also may want to put the seat in Pop-pop's car sometimes (some large Infiniti sedan). Mainly, I want a seat that is as easy to use as possible. I plan to have her get it checked by a car seat safety person, and hopefully she will be able to install it the right way, but I'm nervous.

TIA for any advice!

AnnieW625
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
If you want something that is really light try the Combi Cocorro, that might be a good seat for your mom's car. I think it weighs less than 15lbs!:) If car seat weight isn't much of a factor then check out the Evenflo Triumph Advance, the First Years True Fit, Britax Roundabout 50 (a Britax Marathon minus the fancy lockoffs), or the Britax Blvd (has more SIP padding, extra head wings, and a no rethread harness; honestly besides the RA 50 this is the best value seat that Britax sells, for $60 more than a Marathon you get soo much more; however you can usually find the BLVD between $250 and $309 at Albee Baby or Travelling Tikes or BRUS w/coupons).

Combi Cocorro: http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12

lorinick
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
I vote a Britax BV or MA. Both super easy to install and will last a long time. I like the BV because it does have TSIP wings and you never have to re thread the harness. It moves up and down with the dail. And since you have an Orbit lucky you money I guessing is not a factor. Go with the Britax BV.

maydaymommy
07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
And since you have an Orbit lucky you money I guessing is not a factor. Go with the Britax BV.

Haha. Ahhh, yes, the "old days." Now we'll spend what's necessary to keep ds son safe, but any savings is a plus!

I'm thinking Britax for Dad's car for sure, and the combi above looks like it may be good for my mother's car.

Do b&m stores (for instance, BRU) carry the Combi?

arivecchi
07-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I vote a Britax BV or MA. Both super easy to install and will last a long time. I like the BV because it does have TSIP wings and you never have to re thread the harness. It moves up and down with the dail. And since you have an Orbit lucky you money I guessing is not a factor. Go with the Britax BV. :yeahthat:

ahrimie
07-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll vouch for the ease of installing a Britax BV. I really like that you never have to rethread; you just turn the knob (without babe sitting in the seat). As long as you have those clamps in the seats (LATCH?), they're super easy to install.