PDA

View Full Version : Hydrocortizone safe?

emily
07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Is hydrocortizone safe to use on DD's irritated skin? She's 15 mos.
Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2009, 10:51 PM
My ped ok'ed it when we had a need around 12m old. You should be fine at 15m though it would be a good idea to have it looked at by the Dr. to diagnose and confirm treatment.

Beth

tnrnchick74
07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
What type of irritation are you putting it on? If its diaper rash, especially caused by diarrhea or acid poops (like when you child overdoses on oranges), etc I suggest liquid antacid. Dab it on, let it dry a bit - it will change the ph and help heal certain irritations. Maybe petroleum jelly would work?

cestkaren
07-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Our ped recommended it to us when DS was only 4 months old on some irritated skin from the carrier. We used it daily for months, no problems here.

ett
07-25-2009, 08:48 AM
It is safe for a 15 month old, but I agree with PP that I would have the ped. diagnose the problem just to make sure it is the right amount of medication to but on. Hydrocortisone is a steriod so you don't want to use it continuously over a long period of time.

emily
07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks. It looks just like a minor irritation made worse by her scratching and picking at it. Will try the hydrocortizone for a day or so. If no improvement, go to the doctor.

ett
07-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks. It looks just like a minor irritation made worse by her scratching and picking at it. Will try the hydrocortizone for a day or so. If no improvement, go to the doctor.

Just make sure that you don't put in on broken skin as more will be absorbed into the body.

ckso
07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Our ped ok'd it too at about 3-4 months for eczema. I use it sparingly though...and only if it looks like it's bothering her. If it doesn't bother her, I use Aquafor...great stuff.