PDA

View Full Version : Foghorn Leghorn has Eluded Me!

vejemom
07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, make the the Foghorn-ettes. I bought 4 new pullets (young chickens) today at Southern States to add to my little flock of three. I got two White Leghorns thinking it would be nice to get some white eggs, (I get blue and brown eggs at the moment) and two good ole' Rhode Island Reds.

Things are not going well. The current three hate the new interlopers. I was afraid to try to shut them together in the coop tonight because they might hurt each other. I decided to put the new 4 back in the cat carriers for the night. The Rhode ISland Reds let me pick them up and put them in the carrier. The Leghorns are a whole 'nother story. I'm rapidly discovering why most people don't have them. They don't like people and can run like a roadrunner. I tried herding them into a box. Not even close. I gave up and tried just herding them into the coop. Not a chance. I finally gave up altogether because 20 minutes is just too long to spend chasing pea-brained birds around.

They're currently roosting on top of the coop. I suppose I could go out there and attempt to grab them, but darn it, I'm annoyed with them. Not to mention that the fox probably doesn't stand a chance of catching them, anyway. I've never seen poultry move that fast! :ROTFLMAO:

StantonHyde
07-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Put food in the cat carrier and see if they go for it and then shut them in there. Chickens can be a major PITA but they can be awesome too! My favorites are Golden Bufforpingtons. sigh. I can't have any--too many coyotes, foxes, and raccoons around here.

MamaKath
07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Lol!!! I want to get some chickens so badly. It is fun hearing about your little roadrunners!!!