PDA

View Full Version : Will we need a double stroller?

sarahsthreads
07-24-2009, 11:02 PM
And if so, which one...?

Last time we went to WDW with DD1 she was 20 months and we bought our Mac Triumph specifically for the trip. LOVED it. Absolutely got our money's worth out of it (and have used it a lot since, as well.)

This time, we'll be going with a 5.5 year old and a not-quite-2 year old. Initially I thought we'd just bring the Triumph, but I actually think the big girl is going to want to ride a lot too. We have a second hand Joovy Caboose, but there is no way I would even considering bringing that, it weighs a ton and is cumbursome to fold.

I would consider getting a second hand or older model double stroller like my Triumph if that will make our lives easier...my cousin is expecting twins, so I might be able to pass it along to her since I don't think we'd get everyday use out of a double.

So, should I? And what's like the Triumph but double? The things I really love about it are 1) the weight (or lack thereof), 2) the incredibly fast fold/unfold, 3) the carry strap. Not in love with the tippiness, but I don't tend to hang things off the back anyway.

Sarah :)

Momof3Labs
07-25-2009, 07:28 AM
When DS1 was 5.25yo at Disney, he walked a lot of the time but wanted to ride later in the day and especially later in our trip. We had two singles so that we could split up (DS1 could go on the thrill rides, and didn't need a nap some days) but we also had 4 adults on that trip. We also left one single in the room on the days we didn't think he'd need a ride.

As far as which stroller to bring, where are you staying? Are you renting a car?

sarahsthreads
07-25-2009, 07:50 AM
We'll be staying at one of the moderate resorts (unless there's a *really* good deal on a monorail resort before we book!) and not renting a car. We'll be on and off buses a lot!

I feel like if we brought two singles we'd always have to have both with us - DD1 would definitely want to ride if we left the second one back at the room!

fivi2
07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I definitely recommend two singles. A double is a pain at wdw, imo. We went right before my twins turned 3 and took two umbrella strollers. We frequently parked them at a ride in the middle of a few attractions and then walked around without the strollers. So, I never really felt tied down to my stroller.

But we are definitely not the disney experts and have not gone with older kids!

egoldber
07-25-2009, 12:53 PM
We frequently parked them at a ride in the middle of a few attractions and then walked around without the strollers.

This is what we do as well. We'll park it in a central location in Fanrasyland (typically the carousel) and then leave it until we're done with all of FL. Then move it to Tomorrowland, etc. That was we can get from one big area to another really quickly, but don't have to deal with dragging it from ride to ride.

If you go for a week, especially at a hot time of year, your older child will almost certainly want to ride towards the end of the trip or later in the day. It's hard work walking around WDW all day!

bubbaray
07-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd recommend 2 singles or your Joovy. We will NEVER take our Volo again, its FAR too tippy. Man, I dislike Macs for that reason alone.

We saw a ton of Joovy's at DL in April. Next time we are likely taking our P3.

sarahsthreads
07-27-2009, 09:33 AM
So it sounds like two singles may be the way to go. I dunno, though, if DD2 isn't walking yet (the kid's more than content to be carried everywhere) it might be hard for both of us to have to wrangle a stroller because someone will have their arms full of baby, too...

We still haven't quite decided when to go (another post entirely) so I have a bit to think about it.

Thanks!

jjordan
08-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Two singles, and if you anticipate carrying the baby, bring a pouch sling or something similar (in addition to the stroller). That worked great for us when we went in January (dd was almost 3 and ds was 6 months).