PDA

View Full Version : Water bottle for back to school

janeybwild
07-25-2009, 08:32 AM
DD is heading to 1st grade and will need a water bottle. Up to now we've used a Fogoo/Funtainer which I love, but it seems too big/heavy. Also, I'm thinking a sport top would be better for this age (could be wrong on that though!). I just tried the Crocodile Creek water bottles which are a great size, but they sweat terribly and don't keep the drink cold. What is out there (non-plastic) for a smaller water bottle that:

-keeps the drink cold
-doesn't sweat
-on the smaller size
-easy enough to open for a 1st grader.

TIA!

MamaKath
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
We are looking for the same thing. I have found that the Foogos straw cups leak, so those are out. I am debating right now the Sigg, the Klean Kanteen and the LL Bean (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLBSearchDispatch?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&init=0&freeText=water+bottle&Go=)water bottle (love that they can be personalized). I will be watching this thread closely too!

janeybwild
07-28-2009, 08:49 AM
We are looking for the same thing. I have found that the Foogos straw cups leak, so those are out. I am debating right now the Sigg, the Klean Kanteen and the LL Bean (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLBSearchDispatch?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&init=0&freeText=water+bottle&Go=)water bottle (love that they can be personalized). I will be watching this thread closely too!

I haven't seen the Sigg or KK in person. Is the smallest size 12oz?

o_mom
07-28-2009, 09:34 AM
:popc1:

I was going to do the Funtainer as well, but it takes up so much room in the lunch box.

egoldber
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
The lunch box space issue is why I use the Rubbermaid Litterless juice box. It's so much more compact than anything else.

new_mommy25
07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
For your criteria I think the Funtainer is still your best bet. You could try something like a klean kanteen with a sleeve but it's probably about the same weight.

MamaKath
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
The lunch box space issue is why I use the Rubbermaid Litterless juice box. It's so much more compact than anything else.
Do you have problems with leaks? My foogos ones have leaked terribly.

justincase
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I am debating right now the Sigg, the Klean Kanteen and the LL Bean (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLBSearchDispatch?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&init=0&freeText=water+bottle&Go=)water bottle (love that they can be personalized). I will be watching this thread closely too!

Just FYI the LL Bean ones are made for them by Klean Kanteen. So if you want to go the LL Bean route because you like the option to have the engraving done (that's what we did for DS), then all other KK tops are interchangable so you can switch to a different sport top or sippy top (which is really an Avent sippy top) or whatever. DS loves his LLB one.

ETA: Oh, and, it surprised / irritated me that the engraving did *not* count as free monogramming with the LLB card. We went ahead anyway but maybe I can save someone else the surprise.

o_mom
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Do you know of any B&M stores that carry these?

egoldber
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I got mine at Wegmans, grocery chain.

Mine don't leak. But. If the straw is left flipped up for too long or if they get dropped, then liquid can leach up around the top causing them to leak. But 99% of the time they are fine. I have no qualms sending milk in their lunches in them.

ett
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
That's interesting that PP's have had problems with the Foogo's straw cups leaking. DS1 has brought his to school for a year now and we've never had a leakage problem. I wonder if it's because I have a newer model?

WatchingThemGrow
07-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Don't they have the litterless drink boxes at Target and WM? http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-31170-Litterless-Juice-Box/dp/B000VPBL98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248833888&sr=8-1

sariana
07-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I recently bought a new lunch box for DS at Costco. It came with a stainless steel water bottle with a twist-off cap. He thought it was so cool. There is a strap for it on the side of the lunch box, but we usually put it in the side pocket of his backpack.

o_mom
07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Don't they have the litterless drink boxes at Target and WM? http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-31170-Litterless-Juice-Box/dp/B000VPBL98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248833888&sr=8-1

I'll have to look there (no Wegmans here). I looked at the water bottle section in Target, but I have a feeling these will be with the Tupperware-type stuff.

Melbel
07-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I found lightweight eco canteen bottles at our Hallmark for 75% off ($2.50). Our kids love them. They do sweat some, but they keep the drinks (mostly water) nice and cold.

https://www.ecocanteen.com/index.asp?id=&refcode=GecoTM&gclid=COKVouPg-psCFRI7xwodXndATg

WatchingThemGrow
07-29-2009, 07:13 AM
I'll have to look there (no Wegmans here). I looked at the water bottle section in Target, but I have a feeling these will be with the Tupperware-type stuff.
that's where i think they were

MamaKath
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I found lightweight eco canteen bottles at our Hallmark for 75% off ($2.50). Our kids love them. They do sweat some, but they keep the drinks (mostly water) nice and cold.

https://www.ecocanteen.com/index.asp?id=&refcode=GecoTM&gclid=COKVouPg-psCFRI7xwodXndATg
What a great deal! I would never have thought to look at a Hallmark store for these.

MamaKath
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
At ours they are with the other Rubbermaid and food storage.

o_mom
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
At ours they are with the other Rubbermaid and food storage.

I hit up Target and Walmart, but they both carry an off-brand, not Rubbermaid. I think I'll go to the Container Store this weekend and see if it is worth the extra $1 to get Rubbermaid.

alien_host
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I couldn't find the Rubbermaid ones either at Target, and I have a $1 off coupon off a Rubbermaid food storage/drink storage item. Boo!

I'll have to check the grocery store I guess. Or CVS? I'm not sure where else to look.

MamaKath
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I hit up Target and Walmart, but they both carry an off-brand, not Rubbermaid. I think I'll go to the Container Store this weekend and see if it is worth the extra $1 to get Rubbermaid.
Hmm, I just got a couple tonight. When I just looked, you are right they are not labeled Rubbermaid. They are called Litterless Juice Boxes ironically.

Fwiw our Target seems to not be bringing in the uniform stuff like in past years, had very little Rubbermaid type stuff, fewer brands in the past in the otc pharmacy section (like feminie hygene stuff), empty aisles of toys. It is a newer Target (about 2 years old) in a nice area. I wonder if this is all Targets!?!? I am sure that it is the economy, but wow was it frustrating to try to get the few things I needed.

duckiegirl
08-15-2009, 07:15 PM
We LOVE our sigg water bottles. We've got them in pretty much all the sizes. The tops are interchangeable and very easy for kids to use. The adult sport top is a bit more difficult but they figured it out quickly. They also don't leak and the tops come apart completely for cleaning. The 0.3L is the perfect size to fit into the Laptop lunchbox http://www.reusablebags.com/store/laptop-lunches-bento-case-p-1908.html (these are worth every penny - they hold up well - we are on the third year of use with one of our sets and still looks brand new) My older son has the larger version - the 0.4L one that he also brings to school. Its great b/c they don't sweat. I fill them up with water in the evening and stick them in the fridge. The school sells organic milk so I never put anything other then water in them. The one issue we've had with them is my older son's really old one that he has hiked all over the place with has a few dents and dings - war wounds - and the paint is gone - not so much peeling off - just missing in those areas. Its not something that is flaking and going to cause a problem - it just doesn't look pretty. He doesn't care however. They also sell a glow in the dark cap that my kids love for side of the bed water bottles.

nellonello
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
A word of caution if you go with the KK and the sports top. We have a couple and they whistle a bit when drinking so my son's teacher vetoed them in the class.

MamaKath
08-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Hmm, I just got a couple tonight. When I just looked, you are right they are not labeled Rubbermaid. They are called Litterless Juice Boxes ironically.
So far these are working great for water/juice/milk! Hope they continue to hold up. :)

MarisaSF
08-19-2009, 11:41 PM
If you would consider BPA-free plastic, the Contigo spill-free cups are nice.
I got a four-pack at Costco for about the same price as one Kleen Kanteen (~$15?). http://www.gocontigo.com/ They don't sweat, have a rubberized bottom to prevent water rings on tables. They aren't insulated, but I put ice cubes in DD's water and it stays cool enough until lunch time (she won't drink water unless it's super cold). Most importantly, to DD, they come in purple. ;)

We have Kleen Kanteens, but I thought DD (5) was too big for the sippy top and too young for efficient use of the screw-off top. And like a PP said, the sport top whistles like a bird.

I personally use the Contigo SS travel mug for water every day. They are double-walled and keep drinks SUPER cold. I make ice water in the morning. Several hours later the ice is still solid!

MamaKath
08-20-2009, 06:53 AM
I got a four-pack at Costco for about the same price as one Kleen Kanteen (~$15?). http://www.gocontigo.com/
Were you able to find them recently? Which Costco? I can't seem to find them at any here (MD, NJ, DE, VA).

sewarsh
08-20-2009, 08:56 AM
i have Sigg, KK & Foogos. Since my 3YO drops them, the Foogos & Siggs have both broken. Therefore, i'm partial to KK and my DD loves it. plus you can get hte Avent sippy attachment for my 11month old DS to use. Another important factor to me is with the KK (& Foogos), the opening is wide enough to put ice cubes in and clean with ease as opposed to the Sigg where you have to melt the ice first in order for it to fit. annoying!!! Also, I called Thermos for new lid for Foogos since it cracked when dropped and they wanted me to pay for it + shipping. Sigg sent replacement for free. Appartently KK customer service is excellent as well.

fivi2
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Were you able to find them recently? Which Costco? I can't seem to find them at any here (MD, NJ, DE, VA).

Also curious as to which section in Costco?

vludmilla
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I haven't seen the Sigg or KK in person. Is the smallest size 12oz?

The 12 oz is the smallest size in KK's. We have two and really like them.

MarisaSF
08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Also curious as to which section in Costco?

I last bought them before the summer, but they'd been around for a loooong time before that. I haven't been to Costco in a while though so I'm not positive they're still there.

The kids' ones I found near the pharmacy stuff. I think they were near other Munchkin(?) take-and-toss type cups and baby formula or whatnot. The adult ones I've found both by the door and near housewares.