PDA

View Full Version : Buying a digital SLR - Canon or Nikon?

WatchingThemGrow
07-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I've always wanted a Rebel since Andre Agassi advertised them 20 years ago. Is there any reason I should get one of the Nikons or something other than this Canon XS (http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNDRXSS1855)?

Also, what's the best way to learn about real photography? I have an SD1100, but i feel the need to improve the quality of my pictures. Maybe buying a DSLR will help, but I need to take a class, do a tutorial or something I'm sure.

bubbaray
07-25-2009, 12:40 PM
LOVE my Canon XTi, which was from 2 yrs ago.

DH's dad did all the warranty service for Canon & Nikon for over 30 years. He said just pick whichever one feels best in your hands, the quality is comparable. THe only reason, other than feel, to stick with one over the other is if you have lenses to fit one particular brand.

HTH

belovedgandp
07-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I have a Rebel xti that I bought right about 2 years ago. I love the thing. I personally went with the Canon because my digital point-and-shoot cameras before it had been Canons, the menus were similar and seemed more familiar to me. It was purely a familiarity, comfort thing.

BillK
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
:yeahthat:

What they said.

I have a Nikon D50 - and my sole reason for choosing it was simply because it felt more natural in my hands than the Canon. Nothing wrong with either one - it's whatever feels better to you. I'd go handle both (Costco usually has both of the lower to mid level models of each brand).

I do find the Canon software slightly more user friendly than the Nikon - and unless it's changed - the Canon software converts RAW images to .jpg easier than the Nikon software.

alirebco
07-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I would go to a camera and look at both in person and hold them. See what feels better to you and then decided. Unless you already have Canon or Nikon lenses that you could use on your new camera. I have the XTI and love it but I grew up with Canons and my dad had the 5d.

m448
07-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm absolutely in love with my canon XSi. Before that I had an S3 for 2-3 years where I finally decided to buckle down and improve my photography. A close friend recommended starting with "Photographing Your Baby" - a short read with five principles to improving your shots. Checked it out from the library. Then I shot thousands of photos, applied the five principles and my photos did improve.

I got the Dslr bug this spring and after much research bought my canon on sale and haven't regretted it since. I blog and it's a great impetus for taking more random shots. I also keep up with a few newsletters aimed at newbie photographers. I've found for a broad beginning point to learning any new skill that that the "For Dummies" books are a great tool. It's how I started sewing, then knitting and crocheting. I found the DSLR dummies book a great jumping off point (again from the local library).

Now I'm just plotting future lens purchases. I've got the 50mm prime and the 55-250mm lenses in site. You're local so you may want to also check out Peace Camera in Raleigh. They advertise their weekly offerings on craigslist and have bodies as well as lens with frequent turnover from trade ins and sell backs.

WatchingThemGrow
07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
What about the ability to record video? We don't have a camcorder and I'd like something with higher resolution than my SD1100. Am I reading correctly that the Canon doesn't have that and the Nikon does? What's the lowest model Nikon that does have video capabilities?

m448
07-25-2009, 02:59 PM
the newest canon, the T1i has video capabilities along with the price tag. I didn't consider it since I still have my S3 and it has video but if I ever want to shoot more I'll likely get a flip or flip type camera.

WatchingThemGrow
07-25-2009, 03:12 PM
I think I'm getting more confused the more I read about all the choices. I feel like a newbie buying a stroller, lol.

geochick
07-25-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-slr-camera-reviews

Don't forget to read the FULL REPORT section. They have never lead me astray.