PDA

View Full Version : Last minute WDW thoughts

egoldber
07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
We had originially planned a beach trip this summer at a friend's condo, but due to a miscommunication it fell through.

So we're considering a short WDW trip instead. It would be the very first week of September (school starts the next week this year) and only 5D/4N due to other conflicts.

Help me think this through. Am I missing anything?

We will use FF miles for the flights, so not interested in flight deals.

I am able to book on-line myself a Moderate for $432 or a Value for $312.

I called WDW travel last night and got a moderate package (room, free dining and hopper tickets) for $1500 at a moderate or the AP rate with dining for $880.

The AP rate is tempting. But we have leftover tickets we could use for a water park and then it would be nice to hang out at the resort and play at the pool for one day. So we could go to the park for only 2/3 days. There is food of course, but dining in sit down restaurants is really no fun with Amy, so we'd be looking at almost exclusively CS anyway.

We could also get AKL or WL for $671, which is a little tempting since we've never stayed either place.

I've checked dining on-line and there is availability, it's just limited.

Momof3Labs
07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I looooove AKL, the theming is just superb. The pool is really nice for kids, too - zero depth entry and such. Lots of kid activities throughout the day and into the evening, too. I really like their CS option (especially the African stew).

Its only downfall is that it is farther from the parks, but doesn't share the bus with other resorts. If you are only doing the parks 2-3 days, it might be a good trip to give AKL a try.

Another option - have you checked rates at the Swan/Dolphin? I think that they were running really cheap, too (119-129/night). Of course, dining isn't an option but I'm not sure if that is your best value or not since you have to buy the tickets to get free dining.

Fairy
07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Thoughts? Oh yes, I have thoughts. That's EXACTLY when we went last year. My first thought is that of intense envy. Can I carry your bags?

It would be the very first week of September (school starts the next week this year) and only 5D/4N due to other conflicts.

I think that's plenty, personally. You're in good shape. You can go to each park no problem. If you are interested in all of them. My first thought when you said first week in September is that it will be hot. I was under the illusion that it would be cooler by then. No. I melted. The nice thing about WDW, tho, is that they have so much seating and shaded areas. You should be ok. But just be prepared, it will be dead of summer kind of feel.

I can't help you with rates, as we stay for free on DH's Marriott points. I know it would be more convenient in one of the Disney properties, but there is so much expense saved there that we just can't rationalize it.

My next thought is do you really need park hopper passes? We did the park hopper, and we only used it once cuz we knew if we didn't we'd be wasting money. But the MK was an all day affair, the AK was an all day affair, and we really wanted to stay longer at HS but knew we "had to get to Epcot" so we left before we were ready. Might be cheaper to ditch the park hopper.

I hated Epcot. Other than the show we saw there and a couple rides, I was just as unimpressed last year as I was when I was 15. I realize I'm in the intense minority on this.

Enjoy, Beth!

egoldber
07-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Fairy, we have been many, many, many times. In general we DO like to park hop, but that's usually when we stay at an Epcot area resort and can easily stroll into Epcot at night. We love Epcot and we love parts of HS and Fantasmic is Sarah's fav night time show.

I honestly didn't even consider the Swan/Dolphin. I'll have to price that.

Yes, I know it will be hot. Which is why I'm thinking water park and pool amenities will be more important than it typically is for us on a WDW vacation. We usually go in late fall or early winter, so not usually a pool heavy vacation. Alhtough we went to a water park last year in early November and it was PLENTY hot enough for it.

I am very tempted by AKL, but DH is a bit put off by how far it is from everything.

clc053103
07-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a great trip! We will be there the next week!

I would consider doing WL for a few reasons- first off, it's convenient to MK which is the park you will likely spend most of your time- since it's a shorter trip, you won't want to be tied up with transportation. Second, if you plan to play by the pool WL has nice kids activities at the pool (for some reason, any of the hotels connected to DVC's seem to have this) and lastly, I know you will prefer CS a lot but a sit down that might be easy to do with kids is Whispering Canyon, it's reportedly a lot of fun with games and goofy antics, and it would be right in your hotel.

As a side note, right now is approaching the 45 day mark for that week- people who don't pay the balance due by that time will be cancelling their trips and subsequently, their dining will be cancelled. You may find more dining availability then too!

fivi2
07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
my sister and her family recently stayed at AKL and LOVED it. They were there at a slow time of year, but did not think the buses were a problem. I hear the restaurants there are nice too.

I also think the themeing at Wilderness looks pretty cool too! Tough decision!
I would go by which has the best pool, given the time of year.

We didn't do the dining plan.

eta: although, didn't Caribbean update their pool recently? And the Coronado pool pics look nice too!

egoldber
07-26-2009, 11:07 AM
We've been to CSR and the pool is nice, but not so great for toddlers. I think the zero entry area at AKL would be good for us.

JTsMom
07-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Good for you Beth! Hope you have a great time! :)

CBR did just revamp their pool recently. I think it's really cute. Definitely check out the pics and see if your girls would like it. There are some here, but you have to scroll down a bit.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/02/caribbean_beach_resort_pirate_1.html

I hear the resort is huge though, and I know you're not a fan of that.

Momof3Labs
07-26-2009, 05:42 PM
AKL does seem far out, but it is so, so quiet and peaceful. You really feel transported to another world. The theming and "feel" of the resort is so much different than the other WDW resorts we've stayed at. The pool area is fantastic for kids, and is adjacent to a nice little playground and a savannah viewing area.

The travel time to the parks, while it doesn't compare to the monorail or walking, isn't bad at all because you aren't sharing the bus with any other resorts.

If you do stay there and end up on the 3rd floor fairly close to the lobby, get a room change immediately. Almost everyone walks along that stretch and it can be pretty noisy all day long. The farther you are from the lobby, the quieter the rooms will be.

billysmommy
07-26-2009, 05:48 PM
It sounds like a great trip to try out AKL. That's a great price and since you're going to be spending time at the resort and pool it sounds like it would be a good time to try it out.

If you do decide to stay there I'd love to hear what you think of it :)

egoldber
07-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks all. :)

We've decided to so something else at this point. Maybe some time in the fall...