PDA

View Full Version : Help - Hosting a playdate tomorrow

jgenie
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
and I don't know what's for lunch. I keep thinking something will come to me, but so far no luck. It will just be another mom and child and DS & I. She's pregnant, so the usual sandwich fare won't work. Any ideas? I was thinking of putting beef stew in the crockpot, but I don't want her to feel she has to cook a meal when she hosts. Any ideas / thoughts?

Mods please don't move this - I'm hoping to get some traffic before going to the grocery store this afternoon. THANKS!!

brittone2
07-27-2009, 12:12 PM
chicken salad on croissant or nice roll? eta: and some fruit on the side? Fruit salad or just a mix of strawberries/blueberries? Or a green salad on the side?
A little place nearby does tarragon chicken salad (with grapes) in the middle of the plate, and then grilled pita wedges (could just heat in the oven) brushed with olive oil and a little parmesan cheese. They arrange the pita wedges around the outside of the plate. Yummy.

poppy
07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
We usually just walk over to whatever is nearby. We like to talk a walk with the kids and get something for lunch. Or just a snack, like a piece of cake.

If that's not doable, then something light should be fine.
Maybe bake a frozen pizza and serve drinks. Popsicle afterwards.

Jen841
07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Grilled cheese and soup or a salad always makes people happy here.

Pizza works too.

I am sure she will be grateful for whatever you serve. Crockpot, or not.

ltmommy
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Keep it simple. IMHO, half the time the other mother won't even eat. I hosted a playdate a couple of years ago for 2 of DD's friends. One of the moms had gone all-out the time before - a literal buffet of snacks (fresh popcorn, gummies, grapes, lemonade, etc.), and this was just snacktime. So I made soup in the crockpot, had chicken salad for sandwiches, a fruit salad for moms and kids, and sandwiches for the kids (peanut butter or cream cheese and jelly). One mom tasted a tiny bit of the soup (felt obligated I guess) and the other had a spoonful of the chicken salad. Of course then I didn't want to eat either!

If I were you, I'd make sure you had sandwich stuff and some fresh fruit on hand. Then at lunch she can either make her own sandwich, or she can decline and not hurt your feelings.

Pennylane
07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
chicken salad on croissant or nice roll? eta: and some fruit on the side? Fruit salad or just a mix of strawberries/blueberries? Or a green salad on the side?
A little place nearby does tarragon chicken salad (with grapes) in the middle of the plate, and then grilled pita wedges (could just heat in the oven) brushed with olive oil and a little parmesan cheese. They arrange the pita wedges around the outside of the plate. Yummy.

This is what I do too! I picked up a nice deli chicken salad, some croissants, mixed fruit, chips or pretzels and a nice refreshing drink. My favorite is sprite mixed with frozen lemonade, so yummy! I cut a few lemon and lime slices to float on top.

I usually do ham or PBJ sandwiches for the kids.

Ann

fivi2
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I think it is nice of you to consider cooking beef stew in the crockpot, but I couldn't imagine eating a hot stew in the middle of the day! (Of course we are in the 100s here). Sorry - I don't mean to offend, it would be lovely in the middle of winter, just seems too hot for summer!

I like the chicken salad, nice bread and a side idea. Something light and munchable - hummus with veggies and pita, quiche, etc.

alien_host
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Bagels, cream cheese, hummos? You could also put out sliced cukes, tomatoes to go with this.
Like others said, I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's Frozen Pizzas (Organic Cheese)?
A pasta salad if you think the kids would eat it?
Veggies and hummos....

all of these are popular here when we have playdates.

I usually also serve cut up fruit with whatever we have for lunch.

geochick
07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
We had a huge group of moms here this week with their kids for a play date. We did:

Homemade macaroni and cheese
Fruit platter
Cheese platter
Crackers
Chinese Chicken Salad
Milk
Juice
(and mojitos for the moms...but that won't work in your case)

SnuggleBuggles
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd do pizza or homemade mac and cheese. Have sandwich stuff on hand in case your mac and cheese gets snubbed, like mine did (kids only liked boxed m&c). I think that sandwich stuff is a-ok if you are looking to keep it no pressure and simple. In the future a weight will be lifted b/c you won't have to do anything fancy. Raise that bar as high as you want to keep living up to. :)

Beth

egoldber
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Our playgroup eventually decided to do no meal hosting and become BYO. There was just too much discrepancy. Some moms would go all out and some would put out a bag of Doritos and water from the tap, KWIM? And sometimes they hosted an 20 people showed up and other times only 2. So we decided to just simplify.

jgenie
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I decided on the chicken salad - why I didn't think of it is beside me. :shrug: I'll have fresh fruit, carrots, hummus, edamame, chips and soda or water and milk for the kiddos.

alien_host
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies!! I decided on the chicken salad - why I didn't think of it is beside me. :shrug: I'll have fresh fruit, carrots, hummus, edamame, chips and soda or water and milk for the kiddos.

sounds perfect! What time should I be there? ;)