PDA

View Full Version : fp safe voyage seat cover coming off with padding beneath as well

neeleymartin
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
we have this car seat:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-2dPrice-Voyage-Convertible-Seat-2d-Tan-2f/dp/B000BF2VO2

we have been using it for just under a year. the top of the cover, where ds's head rests, doesn't stay over the back of the seat. i have also noticed that the foam beneath that is coming up with it.

should i be concerned about the safety of the seat? or is this just a cosmetic issue? thanks.

o_mom
07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Mainly cosmetic, IMO. I would check that the harness is routed through the same slots on the cover, foam and shell. If so, then you might double check with Britax who made the seat. It could be the elastic failing as well. They won't have any replacement covers, most likely, but a Roundabout cover would fit that seat (assuming you meant the smaller Safe Voyage and not the Deluxe with the 50 lb weight limit).

neeleymartin
07-28-2009, 07:02 AM
thanks. i'll call britax this am. it seems like the elastic is fine. it's almost like there is not enough fabric to go over the top of the seat. the elastic edge barely cups the edge of the seat. i am pretty sure it must be the deluxe, but it's not too *deluxe*. the seat is bare bones. we bought it to replace our roundabout ds outgrew. i believe that it looks like a marathon size. does that sound like the deluxe? thanks again. i can't wait for britax to open at 8:30. i'll let you all know how it turns out.

o_mom
07-28-2009, 07:19 AM
If it's the 'deluxe', it will have a 50 lb weight limit (the regular was 40 lb). In that case, if you want to replace it, look for a Marathon or Decathlon cover.

neeleymartin
07-28-2009, 07:22 AM
If it's the 'deluxe', it will have a 50 lb weight limit (the regular was 40 lb). In that case, if you want to replace it, look for a Marathon or Decathlon cover.

how do i figure out the weight limit? is it on the seat? tia

o_mom
07-28-2009, 07:28 AM
It should be on the sticker on the side of the seat.

neeleymartin
07-28-2009, 07:34 AM
It should be on the sticker on the side of the seat.

thanks momma!

WatchingThemGrow
07-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Is it his primary seat? If it is, I'd just look for a marathon on sale and buy that. The difference in quality/comfort seems like a lot to me. A friend has that seat and it seems like it would be hurt to sit in it.

Joolsplus2
07-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Often if you call Britax with a problem with one of their discontinued seats, they will offer you a new seat at a reduced price, like a Marathon for $125 (or I would hope a Roundabout 50, because it has three crotch strap positions and is comfier for bigger kids, but probably a MA because they have sort of an overstock problem sometimes). But truly, no need to buy an entirely new MA, when an MA cover would fit on the FP seat, and it's the same seat otherwise, just a different base :)

WatchingThemGrow
07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
is it just the MA cover that feels so different and padded, nothing more?

Joolsplus2
07-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm assuming there's a layer of gray comfort foam in the FP, which there may not be, but all other Britaxes have it. Yeah, the FP cover is really skimpy compared to the thick plush MA (And DC and BV and RA) covers.

neeleymartin
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Often if you call Britax with a problem with one of their discontinued seats, they will offer you a new seat at a reduced price, like a Marathon for $125 (or I would hope a Roundabout 50, because it has three crotch strap positions and is comfier for bigger kids, but probably a MA because they have sort of an overstock problem sometimes). But truly, no need to buy an entirely new MA, when an MA cover would fit on the FP seat, and it's the same seat otherwise, just a different base :)

i talked to britax this am. they do not have replacement covers nor will they discount a new seat. i am furious. spoke to rep and then the supervisor. wish i could say that i wouldn't buy a seat from them again, but alas i can't. they told me that b/c the seat is more than a year old, there is nothing they can do. it's out of warranty. meanwhile, i bought the seat only 9 months ago, or less. i can't stand the way this seat slouches down. i need another seat for dcp, so i am ordering a new marathon, or roundabout (he is so tall though, 38" at 2 yr checkup), giving the fp to my dcp. they also told me that a marathon cover will not fit. the harness slots don't line up or something like that. not what i have heard here. told them this, and they said they can't send out the cover b/c it hasn't been tested. oh phooey!!!

any advice? should i go roundabout50 or marathon. he is tall and lean. just looked on britax. not sure why i would get the roundabout50 over the marathon. the marathon has an upper weight limit that is higher and the height is the same. thanks

o_mom
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Did you tell them that you bought it only 9 months ago? The warranty is from date of purchase, not manufacture, so it should not matter that the seat is older. If you have proof of purchase that is less than a year ago, I would call back and try once more before you give up.

If you do get a new seat, either the Roundabout 50 or the Marathon are good choices. Unless you really need the lockoff, save some money and get the Roundabout 50. I would not get a regular Roundabout, though.

neeleymartin
07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Did you tell them that you bought it only 9 months ago? The warranty is from date of purchase, not manufacture, so it should not matter that the seat is older. If you have proof of purchase that is less than a year ago, I would call back and try once more before you give up.

If you do get a new seat, either the Roundabout 50 or the Marathon are good choices. Unless you really need the lockoff, save some money and get the Roundabout 50. I would not get a regular Roundabout, though.

i explained to them that it was only 9 months ago that i purchased and that i have proof of purchase. apparently if you buy from albeebaby.com (britax anyway) there is no warranty. britax is on my sh%* list right now. they really don't care if i ever buy a seat again, i am sure. there reputation makes sales for them. my experience will likely not change anything, not even for me. let's face it, their seats are the best.

Joolsplus2
07-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Bummer they didn't do anything to keep you a happy customer :(.
They frown upon mixing and matching seats and covers, but the MA or RA 50 cover WILL fit on your seat, and if you can find a nice one at the www.car-seat.org swap section for cheap you'd be good to go (or ebay or craigslist or just buy a new one...)

o_mom
07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
i explained to them that it was only 9 months ago that i purchased and that i have proof of purchase. apparently if you buy from albeebaby.com (britax anyway) there is no warranty. britax is on my sh%* list right now. they really don't care if i ever buy a seat again, i am sure. there reputation makes sales for them. my experience will likely not change anything, not even for me. let's face it, their seats are the best.

I would call Albee and complain as well - they are an authorized retailer, not some black market eBay seller. Grrr... for you. Add Decathlon to the list of covers that will fit if you look for a used one. Really, I might call Britax again as well. Their CS is sometimes hit or miss. I know people who call and get denied and then call right back and are taken care of.

jjordan
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm guessing that the problem is actually that since they no longer make the seat, they don't have any spare covers left to give out. It is NOT TRUE that albee is not an authorized dealer as I got warranty service on my BV that I purchased from albeebaby. I think perhaps the customer service rep you got wasn't very clear on the situation and what they should do about it.

Anyway, that stinks!!

Swimfreak78
07-28-2009, 07:21 PM
If it were me, I'd call again. I had a bit of trouble with my MA with a missing part and the first person I spoke to said I'd have to pay for it. I called back again around lunchtime and they sent me the part no questions asked for no charge. I'd also call albeebaby and talk to them about it. Best of luck.