PDA

View Full Version : Preschool/Babysitting WWYD

AbbysMom
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I've been struggling with this one for a while and thought someone here might have a suggestion for me. Sorry it's so long!

My 2.5 year old is signed her up to start pre-school when she turns 2.9 (in October) primarily so that she could socialize with other kids and get used to not being with me. But I've been nervous about leaving her at the preschool b/c she is so young and really has such a hard time being away from me and would have 3 years of pre-school which I think is a lot.

One of my neighbors was a 1st grade teacher. She and I have been throwing around the idea of having her do a "pre-school" with the 2 of them. She's done it in the past with her older son and a classmate (who both dropped out of preschool) and I know from seeing her with her daughter that her kid loves to read and they do fun educational stuff. I like the idea b/c even if my daughter she misses this year of actual pre-school, she still has 2 more years before kindergarten.

If you were me, would you send her to an actual pre-school? My husband wants her in the preschool to play with more kids but I just feel uneasy about it. Someone make this decision for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

justlearning
07-28-2009, 01:37 PM
The situation you described with the babysitter/teacher sounds ideal to me! It's nice that it'd also allow you more time with your girls.

If your husband is concerned about social interaction with other kids, what about inviting some kids over for playdates? You could also leave them in many other places with kids without you if desired (e.g., YMCA while working out, the kids' area while attending a MOPS meeting, church kids area, etc.).

Meatball Mommie
07-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I'd go with your gut and have her do "preschool" with the babysitter she's familiar with. She will get some time away from you, which is one of the things you'd like to happen, and she will get time with another child, just not a whole room full of kids at the same time. In my opinion, you would do her more of a favor (esp. since she will have plenty of time to socialize in the coming 2 yrs of preschool) to get her comfortable w/ just being away from mommy. Kids her age are still doing the whole "parallel play" thing, so not a huge deal not to be around a whole bunch of kids. Sounds like a wonderful solution to me.

deenass
07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
No kid is going to miss out on something in life because they didn't go to pre-school when they turned two (and this si coming from a mom who will be sending her two year old to school 3 mornings a week in the fall and also sent her now 6 year old when he was 2 as well). At that age pre-school is about being with other kids, other adults, seperating from me and giving me some time to get some stuff done. It sounds like the "pre-school" with ehr teacher babysitter achieves those goals for you (and then some b/c of your 10 month old also being with them).

Go with your instinct, if you don't think she is ready and you ahve another very good alternative (which it sounds like you do) then proceed and know that she will be well taken care of with someone she likes (and who likes her) and will have fun with a friend and her sister.

edurnemk
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I think there are plenty of other ways for kids to socialize. I take DS to Gymboree and other activities, playgroups, the park, etc and that's done wonders for him. If your DD is shy maybe you can find activities for her in addition to the setup with the babysitter, so she can slowly get used to being around more kids. Then next year she may be more comfortable going to school

brittone2
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I also wanted to give you some encouragement...from age 1-2 DS was a bit like what you describe. He's 5 now and is very outgoing, etc. He changed quite a bit from say 3.5-now.

We never did preschool, etc. as we homeschool. He just needed time to blossom on his own. He would have hated preschool at 2.

Our social time has always been informal playdates with neighbors and friends, and DS has a lot of "friends" out and about in the community. He has people he counts as "friends" that are of all ages (including good friendships with kids in my neighborhood ranging from 5-16 yrs old).

JTsMom
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I agree with all of the pp's- listen to your gut. I can't imagine anything that she would get out of preschool that you couldn't provide in other ways (either with the babysitter or just with playdates or mommy and me type classes). If she was the type who would enjoy it, it would be a different story, but why push her to do something she won't like?

AbbysMom
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone! My husband was surprisingly receptive to the idea - what a relief. I've talked to our babysitter and hopefully we can work it out for the fall. I appreciate your thoughts!