View Full Version : high chair-easy to clean

nbrux
07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I would like some advice on high chairs. I'm looking for the following:
1. easy to clean
2. able to fold for storage
3. can be used with the tray or pulled up to the table
4. quality workmanship that will last through multiple children
5. less than $200 (less than $150 ideally)
6. can be used starting at 6 months

Here are what I've found so far: Anka, Keekaroo, Bloom Nano, Contours Perfect Fit, Valco Baby Astro. Any thoughts on theses? Pros/cons?

twowhat?
07-29-2009, 11:14 AM
IKEA Antilop. I know you have to be the type of person who is OK with the minimalist style. But I am, and I love this high chair, especially if you are waiting to start solids until 6 months. Many babies sit unsupported at that age, so unless you are planning on using the high chair for bottle feeding, you don't need the recline feature.

Price: $20. Plus $5 for the tray. To me, it's even worth paying IKEA's hefty shipping fees if you don't have an IKEA near you and this chair will work for you.

Easy to clean - heck yeah. I HATED cleaning our FP Healthy Care chairs and they are supposedly more easily cleaned than most!

Folds for storage - not really but you can pop the legs off and it takes up WAY less room than my Fisher Price Healthy Care chairs that DO fold for storage.

Can be used with a tray or pulled up to a table - yes. In fact, we've toted these chairs along to restaurants when our twins were too small to sit safely in the restaurant high chairs that only have a strap between the crotch to keep kids from sliding through. We also tote them along to friend's houses, etc.

Quality workmanship - yes! I can see this chair lasting pretty much forever. It's very stable too despite being lightweight. Our large dogs can bump on them and they don't come anywhere near tipping. In fact, I trip over the legs all the time because they are splayed widely for anti-tipping. And interestingly, even colored foods like carrots don't stain the white chairs. I do clean them a couple times a day but still...I would have thought the white plastic would stain.

Hopefully someone else can comment on the chairs you're considering!

Piglet
07-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Totally not what you are thinking of, but I love, love, love my FP Healthy Care BOOSTER. It is a breeze to wash (I have been known to throw it in the dishwasher on super hot). It takes up no space and has a removable tray. I had one from DS2 that still looks brand new after 2 kids abusing it. I even bought a second one because we have company over and even though it is 3 years newer, they look the same (new).

twowhat?
07-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Oooooh, I just looked at the FP booster...that looks nice. That might be my next purchase when my girls are a bit taller:)

AnnieW625
07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Totally not what you are thinking of, but I love, love, love my FP Healthy Care BOOSTER. It is a breeze to wash (I have been known to throw it in the dishwasher on super hot). It takes up no space and has a removable tray. I had one from DS2 that still looks brand new after 2 kids abusing it. I even bought a second one because we have company over and even though it is 3 years newer, they look the same (new).

:yeahthat:

We had a traditional wood high chair because we wanted that traditional furniture look, but if space was really an issue then I would just get the Healthy Care booster chair. We also recently bought DD a Stokke Trip Trapp. They are usually $250, which I know is more than you want to spend but the seat will last you years, and it fits right at the table. Right now it's $249 on Amazon. I however bought mine when Gap.com was having a 30% off everything special last spring and paid $175 for it. Unfortunately Gap.com's price is now $275. The infant set is $70 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1ZLHI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00009IMB4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13HZ1ZH2C1CY3KREG3K4

Svan also makes a similar baby to toddler chair but this one has a regular tray, which might be easier to clean and more comfy for the baby vs. the Stokke. I believe this chair is also at table height so it's easy to store at the table. It's $259 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K8CLE0/ref=s9_simb_gw_xu_s0_p75_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0CX8WMQVRZJF5PA6Z3YD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

newg
07-29-2009, 12:18 PM
We have the chicco polly high chair.....it folds pretty flat (legs come together, so only the chair itself sticks out)......you can adjust the height of it up and down, adjust the handles and it fully reclines so if you want your DC at the table before they are eating and sitting up they can lay in it and take a bottle.....pretty easy to clean as far as highchairs go....oh, can be used with or without the tray and it comes with two snap-on "tops" to put ontop of the tray....which I am loving right now...DD has a messy lunch and I just take the snap-top off to wash in the sink (dishwasher safe too)...and then I can still leave the tray on for safety....
It's also JPMA certified...
Don't remember how much though....I know it's less than $200 'cause my MIL bought it ;)

babychi
07-29-2009, 12:31 PM
I also am curious about highchairs...have narrowed it down to the Valco Baby Astro and Chicco Polly due to price, quality, and design. Love the look and functionality of the Valco but have yet to see it in person or read many reviews on it.

Chicco Polly owners - do you find it easy to clean? I love Chicco products but have seen some negative reviews on how impossible the Polly can be to clean the seat and straps (lots of crevices apparently). Thanks! :)

AnnieW625
07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
A friend of mine had the Polly and didn't care for it. I don't recall why she didn't like it, she just didn't. She went straight back to using her her Healthy Care booster.

nbrux
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I ruled out the Chicco (and most other overly padded high chairs) because of the time it takes to get crumbs and food out of all the crevices between the cushions.

Does anyone have any experience with the Anka? It has many of the features I'm looking for and a style that would fit in with our house.

wendibird22
07-29-2009, 07:37 PM
I have the Polly and like it EXCEPT for cleaning it. Yes, it has many, many cracks and crevices, even on the plastic parts, which I got tired of trying to clean with a toothpick! We have the FP booster and love it. DH and I were just commenting on how we will probably just use the booster for DC2 and not even bother with the high chair at all. The booster is just sooooo much easier to clean. When we started using it with DD we used the tray, now she just sits right at the table with us. Plus I love that we can stick it in the car when we are going somewhere that we aren't sure if they will have a high chair or booster.

newg
07-29-2009, 09:22 PM
We have a rather high kitchen table, so DD sits at table level in the Polly...in our FP travel booster she would not sit at table level.........the Polly does have cracks for food to collect but I just just my dust buster to suck up the crumbs......I don't have any other highchairs to compare it to though.....it's not the greatest I'm sure, but I picked it out while on bedrest so never had the chance to make comparisons.