PDA

View Full Version : Disney lodging/transportation questions

KrystalS
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
We are going to Disney in October and I have a couple of questions, kind of urgent because we need to book a few things. When you use Disney transportation do you have some kind of pass from your hotel that you use for the bus? Does every person in your party have to have a pass, particularly the younger kids?
I'm sure I'm about to get flamed for this but we are planning to stay in a regular room with 5 people, not just 4. Our fifth person is only 5 so we really hate to pay what it would cost us for a suite just got the 5yo. It's a big difference in the per night rate between a standard room and the suite.
Also if we use the Disney shuttle from the airport will this be an issue for us? Do they have a list of the people in our room and only allow those guests on the shuttle, even if its younger children?
One more question, we are getting the dining plan but we aren't planning to get it for the 5yo. Shes a very picky eater and I really don't think she would most of the food in the restaurants anyway. Will this be a problem when we make reservations?

JTsMom
07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
We are going to Disney in October and I have a couple of questions, kind of urgent because we need to book a few things. When you use Disney transportation do you have some kind of pass from your hotel that you use for the bus? Does every person in your party have to have a pass, particularly the younger kids?

No, there is not pass. You just get on.

I'm sure I'm about to get flamed for this but we are planning to stay in a regular room with 5 people, not just 4. Our fifth person is only 5 so we really hate to pay what it would cost us for a suite just got the 5yo. It's a big difference in the per night rate between a standard room and the suite.
Also if we use the Disney shuttle from the airport will this be an issue for us? Do they have a list of the people in our room and only allow those guests on the shuttle, even if its younger children?

I have no idea how that works

One more question, we are getting the dining plan but we aren't planning to get it for the 5yo. Shes a very picky eater and I really don't think she would most of the food in the restaurants anyway. Will this be a problem when we make reservations?

This is in no way a flame- it's just info. According to the rules, everyone in your room must be on the dining plan if anyone is on it. I have no idea how you'd manage this, b/c everything in your package is typically linked together. Are you going for the free dining promo?

Maybe there are different rules for military folks, I don't know, but for the average joe, everything is tied together. Your dining credits are on your Key To The World cards, which is also your room key, and which also is your ticket. Each person has one. You can also add charging privileges to it.

When we went last year, we wanted to get a room with a king bed instead of 2 queens, but we couldn't b/c DS was 3.5 instead of under 3. I couldn't figure out any way around it b/c of everything being tied together.

When you call to make an ADR, they will ask you for everyones age, and if your group is on the dining plan. When you go to pay, you'd hand over a card (every person in your groups card will show everyone else's info too, so you only need to hand over one), and they'd take off the credits.

ETA: If you want another option, I believe one of the Port Orleans resorts has trundle beds available, so you can legally put 5 people in a room- maybe someone has more info on that?

ETA again: http://allears.net/acc/faq_dxl.htm Here is some more info- look under "Alligator Bayou"

KrystalS
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
This is in no way a flame- it's just info. According to the rules, everyone in your room must be on the dining plan if anyone is on it. I have no idea how you'd manage this, b/c everything in your package is typically linked together. Are you going for the free dining promo?

Maybe there are different rules for military folks, I don't know, but for the average joe, everything is tied together. Your dining credits are on your Key To The World cards, which is also your room key, and which also is your ticket. Each person has one. You can also add charging privileges to it.

When we went last year, we wanted to get a room with a king bed instead of 2 queens, but we couldn't b/c DS was 3.5 instead of under 3. I couldn't figure out any way around it b/c of everything being tied together.

When you call to make an ADR, they will ask you for everyones age, and if your group is on the dining plan. When you go to pay, you'd hand over a card (every person in your groups card will show everyone else's info too, so you only need to hand over one), and they'd take off the credits.

ETA: If you want another option, I believe one of the Port Orleans resorts has trundle beds available, so you can legally put 5 people in a room- maybe someone has more info on that?

ETA again: http://allears.net/acc/faq_dxl.htm Here is some more info- look under "Alligator Bayou"

I think we are going to have to change our reservation because what I've read online says everyone in your party has to be listed to use the Magical Express. I think the reason military is able to do the dining plan without buying the tickets from Disney is because they are offering such huge discounts for military. The soldier is free and up to 5 companion tickets for only $99 each. I really hate that Disney doesn't have cheaper options for a family of 5! The price difference is huge!

egoldber
07-29-2009, 01:07 PM
To use the Magical Express to and from the airport, everyone must have a "pass" from WDW. To use the bus system while you are at WDW, you don't need a pass. Anyone can ride the buses whether they are staying at a WDW resort or not.

To have the 5 year old stay in your room, you'd have to do everything OOP for the 5 year old. You would need to buy a separate park ticket (different from the package), etc.

Also, the character meals at WDW are a set price, you don't order a la carte. So paying separately for the 5 year old really won't save you any money at many meals.

I would recommend booking one of the Port Orleans Riverside rooms that allow 5 people. Alternatively, and MUCH cheaper than a suite, is to get two connecting rooms at any Value or Moderate. Make sure to specify you want connecting and NOT adjoining rooms.

JTsMom
07-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I think we are going to have to change our reservation because what I've read online says everyone in your party has to be listed to use the Magical Express. I think the reason military is able to do the dining plan without buying the tickets from Disney is because they are offering such huge discounts for military. The soldier is free and up to 5 companion tickets for only $99 each. I really hate that Disney doesn't have cheaper options for a family of 5! The price difference is huge!

Wow, that is awesome! I totally agree- they need to have better options for families of 5. It's not like it's uncommon to have 3 kids.

KrystalS
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
We ended up just changing to the Port Orleans Riverside, thanks for the suggestion egoldber. It only ended up being about $100 more anyway with our military discount.
Now we just have to book all of our dining reservations.
Is Planet Hollywood a restaurant that we can use as one of our table service credits?
So far we plan to do Scifi Diner at Studios, Jojos circus breakfast, Crystal Palace for lunch, Tusker House breakfast. We are going to Magic Kingdom our last day but we couldn't find a sit down for that park.

JTsMom
07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Planet Hollywood does take the dining plan, but double check. Usually, packages also come with a $15 voucher for there as well, but since yours is a little different, maybe not.

Crystal Palace is actually in the Magic Kingdom. Other options would be the Polynesian choices (Ohana and Kona) which are just a quick monorail ride from the MK, 1900 Park Faire at the Grand Floridian (also a monorail ride) Chef Mickey's (Contemporary- monorail ride), Liberty Tree Tavern, Tony's, or The Plaza inside the park.

Are you doing Epcot? I don't see anything listed for there. The countries are all popular, and we enjoyed Garden Grill as well. There's also Coral Reef.

KrystalS
07-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes I knew Crystal Palace was in Magic Kingdom. We are going there 2 days so we needed another table service for our 2nd day.
We aren't doing Epcot, my DD didn't like it the last time we went and the other kids going aren't really interested in Epcot either.
Another question, how do you know what days Fantasmic will be? We plan to go to the Studios the day we get there and do dinner, but we thought it would be better to do the Fantasmic dinner package.
ETA: The last time I went to Disney we rented a car. We plan to do Disney transportation this time. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. How long does it typically take to get to the parks on the bus? We are doing 2 breakfasts in the parks and I'm wondering how early we will have to leave.

egoldber
07-29-2009, 07:01 PM
How long does it typically take to get to the parks on the bus?

Unfortunately, it just depends. If you just miss a bus, it can take awhile. But generally for breakfast I would plan to be walking out of your room one hour before your reservation time. Remember that often the restaurants are a good 15 minute walk inside the park from the main entrance.

JTsMom
07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
The Unofficial Guide to WDW has a chart that shows how long it takes to get to every possible destination via bus and car, best and worst case scenarios. Usually, most libraries have a copy of it. I would look it up for you, but someone :irked: dropped my copy in the bathtub.

This will show you the Fantasmic schedule:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/octfw09.cfm