PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Question about Tent Camping: How do you deal with rain &/or cold weather?

justlearning
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks so much for your great feedback on camping safety and food ideas--they were VERY helpful!

I just talked with a friend who went to Mount Rushmore recently (where we're wanting to go in a couple of weeks) and she said that they were so glad that they stayed in a cabin and not in tents because it rained much of the time.

She said it's horrible camping if it's raining. And she also said it was in the 40s at night there.

Do you think we could still have a good time camping if we faced the same weather? Or would we be absolutely miserable?

How do you deal with cold or rain? Tent heaters? (If so, suggestions for which one?) Extra tarp under the tent?

TIA for any input!

ETA that no cabins are available when we want to go, so our only options are tent camping or staying in a hotel.

MmeSunny
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
You totally can have an awesome time tent camping in the rain, but it's all about the preparation.

Use the seam-sealant and waterproofing on the tent before you go. ALso, use a tarp under your tent but curl the edges so they don't stick out past the edge of your tent or it will funnel the water under your tent. VERY VERY BAD! Also, don't let anything touch the INSIDE of the tent walls. That will draw in moisture.

Bring a pop up canopy/screen tent to cover your eating/food prep space. This protects from sun as well. They are not that expensive, especially this time of year (end of summer).

Bring decent rain gear for everyone, ie rain coat and boots (and pants if you plan to do a lot hiking). Not those cheap ponchos. Those do not provide enough mobility with protection.

Also bring fun stuff that you can do in the rain. I can't remember the ages of your kids, but the game Pass the Pigs is really fun and very small. Can be played anywhere. More stuff like that ie deck of cards, books to read, etc.

There is nothing better than rain at night, listening to it hit the tent, when you're all warm and dry inside. It's magical.

wellyes
07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
That friend of yours sounds like no fun.

I like when it rains when I'm camping ..... drink & play cards instead of hiking. Sounds fine to me!

As for cold, what is the rating on your sleeping bags? I use 40 degree bags for camping in summer (but I'm a wimp). Don't make the mistake of buying a winter-weight sleeping bag for summer camping, a bag rated to 10 degrees isn't comfortable if it's 60 degrees out.

Tips for keeping warm on chilly nights:
- Hang out by the campfire! And at the end of the night get into your bag really quick. Good fun.
- Wear a wool cap and socks (if nothing else :jammin:)
- put an air mattress, or even just an inflated raft, under your bag so you're not touching the ground.

ETA: tent heater = bad idea. Snuggle up in your sleeping bag, or better yet get bags that zip together (many do) for maximum warmth sharing instead.

wendibird22
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
You totally can have an awesome time tent camping in the rain, but it's all about the preparation.

Use the seam-sealant and waterproofing on the tent before you go. ALso, use a tarp under your tent but curl the edges so they don't stick out past the edge of your tent or it will funnel the water under your tent. VERY VERY BAD! Also, don't let anything touch the INSIDE of the tent walls. That will draw in moisture.

Bring a pop up canopy/screen tent to cover your eating/food prep space. This protects from sun as well. They are not that expensive, especially this time of year (end of summer).

Bring decent rain gear for everyone, ie rain coat and boots (and pants if you plan to do a lot hiking). Not those cheap ponchos. Those do not provide enough mobility with protection.

Also bring fun stuff that you can do in the rain. I can't remember the ages of your kids, but the game Pass the Pigs is really fun and very small. Can be played anywhere. More stuff like that ie deck of cards, books to read, etc.

There is nothing better than rain at night, listening to it hit the tent, when you're all warm and dry inside. It's magical.
:yeahthat:

I find that tents trap a good amount of body heat, especially if you have the proper size for the number of people. It's tempting to go with the deluxe, huge, could sleep 15 people style tent, but then you lose a lot more heat. I second the air mattress. We always bring our aero bed and it does help to not be directly on the ground...especially if it is already wet when you set up the tent. I also second proper tarping. You want the tarp to be just shy of the edge of your tent. Also make sure your rain fly is nice and taught so that the rain runs down and away from you windows, doors, etc.

MontrealMum
07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Great advice from pp.

We camp in all kinds of weather, and DH does winter camping both w/ and w/o a tent.

Very important to put a tarp down first as pp have mentioned, and make certain that the tent and seams are waterproofed. Remove muddy shoes/boots each and every time before you enter the tent. Invest in good rain gear, some fleece, and warm socks. Be very careful about where you stake your tent - as in, don't put it at the bottom of a hill where rain will funnel down on you! Try to find level ground all around. Also, make certain that you hang your tent to dry completely before you put it away. Otherwise, it will mildew and be icky for your next trip.

We have a variety of different types of sleeping bags, but depending on how cold it will be at night, check out the cold ratings. If it's very cold, it's important to have extra warm clothes to change into if you sweat a lot (mind you, that's for the wintertime, I can't imagine a place in the US where that would be a problem in the summer) A mummy bag can keep you warmer, but will not zip together as nicely if you want to share with your DH. You can still do it, it's just annoying (to me anyways). You can get a couples kit for your thermarest if you do want to zip bags together. Warm beverages and warm breakfast go a long way to keeping you warm. So think cocoa as well as oatmeal. Also, pp is right that it is usually warmer in the tent than outside. All that nylon traps warm air inside.

I have never heard of such a thing as a tent heater but even if there is one, that sounds like an extremely dangerous idea all around. We have never needed one and I am very warm-blooded. We have camped in Nfld. in Oct. and N. ON in March (snow still on the ground) and were fine.

Here's some info on sleeping bags: MEC bags (http://www.mec.ca/Main/articles_main.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396 038671&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396038671&bmUID=1248912462243)
and here's some info on tents: MEC tents (http://www.mec.ca/Main/articles_main.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396 038673&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396038673&bmUID=1248912462244)
and some general info. on camping:
MEC hiking/camping (http://www.mec.ca/Main/articles_main.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396 038667&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396038667&bmUID=1248912462243)

Jen841
07-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.... pack an extra set of dry/warm clothes for everyone and break glass to get them in needed. Wet socks are the worse! A secret stash of M&Ms is not bad either.

Deck of cards can entertain people for a long time in tent, and well as flashlights. Simple pleasures.

trales
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Will the campsite have platforms for pitching your tent, if they do you are golden. I always hang a tarp or use a canopy over the cooking area. Are you car, watercraft camping or having to carry it all in?

You can have a ton of fun and an amazing experience in the rain.

GraceH
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Bring a deck of cards... maybe SkipBo and other small games too.
We have a Coleman Geosport canopy that we bring with in addition to our tent - we have the picnic table under it - also helps with shading your eating from the sun...
We always use a ground trap and air matresses - as pp said, be sure your trap is a few inches 'smaller' than the footprint of your tent...