PDA

View Full Version : 4th Question about Camping: Do people in crowded campsites smoke by tents?

justlearning
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
I have bad asthma and am very allergic to cigarette smoke. (As a result, we always try to stay in completely non-smoking hotels.)

It just occurred to me that if camping, we might be next to other people who are smokers and they might smoke by our tent.

Have you experienced this problem?

I'm so allergic that this could be a reason that we'd never be able to stay in close proximity to other campers. But do busy campgrounds like KOA tell campers that they can't smoke in certain areas?

wellyes
07-29-2009, 05:36 PM
There's no restrictions on smoking when camping but the whole point of camping is that you're in the open air. And if the KOA is quality at all, the sites will be spaced out a bit. I wouldn't worry about it.

MmeSunny
07-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I have found that KOAs tend to cater to big RVs. Their sites are not spread out. They are for profit and want to fit as many campers in as possible. A public state park, national park, etc generally has more spread out sites--they aren't for profit.

Call your campground and ask if they have a tent-only section. Some do. I always prefer that as RV's make noise, (some use generators, etc.)

As far as smoking, there are no rules generally. Call and ask for a secluded site. IWCTW and you are put next to a smoker, you can explain and ask them to go somewhere else OR change sites if there is room. (The last would be a huge hassle, but less confrontational.):kisscheek:

infomama
07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
We are avid campers (just got back from a 10 day trip with our travel trailer) and we haven't run into any problems with smokers but we may have been lucky. If you are concerned about the space around your site, check out Woodalls directory...it will outline the site size in feet which is really helpful. RV Park reviews is often helpful http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ when searching for a campground that suits your style so to speak. If you want to cover all your bases, just get a site that has electric and take a small fan to re direct any offensive smoke.
Have fun!!

kijip
07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I would think you would fare better at a state or national park than KOA on this issue, but I reckon it varies by site.

trales
07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
In this case it could be a crapshoot, you never know who you will get. I have great experiences at RV campgrounds as a tent camper and horrible experiences in the backcountry, (ETA) and vice versa. Same goes for private v. public.

I would call and see how crowded they are and request a site with no others around you when you get there.

Neatfreak
07-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Out of curiosity, would you have the same problem with campfire smoke?

justlearning
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Out of curiosity, would you have the same problem with campfire smoke?

Hmmm...interesting question! I can't even recall the last time I was around a campfire! I was probably in my early teens then, and my asthma became more of a problem later. Oh boy, one more thing to worry about now! :)