PDA

View Full Version : Glad and not glad at the same time...

sidmand
07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I had said that if DD was not walking and/or talking by the time she was 15 months old I would call early intervention. I've been a big proponent of getting kids tested early (DS was diagnosed with PDD-NOS) but I didn't want to hear it about DD!

Her 15 month appt. isn't until tomorrow but she turned 15 months a few weeks ago and I decided to just call on my own about a week ago (and she started taking a couple steps since then, not really walking, but more than she was doing).

Today was her evaluation and she did qualify based on a speech delay. She wasn't delayed in any other area but her receptive and expressive was delayed enough to qualify. I'm glad she qualified but part of me was hoping they told me there was nothing to worry about. I probably wouldn't have even been concerned if it weren't for DS, so I guess that's good.

I was planning to try to get her into a playgroup at EI as a community child at the very least, now she can go any way! So I'm glad, but not glad...

vludmilla
07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Take heart, qualifying for EI does not mean that there are long-term problems. Of course, sometimes the delays are more profound but many times, children get EI for a couple of years and then never need special services again. My DD qualified for EI at a young age and now she is a soon to be 3 year old who walks and talks more than lots of 3.5 year olds we know. Early intervention is sometimes just that, intervention, that works at just the right time.

AngelaS
07-29-2009, 09:18 PM
My second one didn't walk until 17 months. She didn't talk until almost 2. I never had her evaluated and found out at her 3 year check up that she's simply hyper flexible which is why it took her so long to learn to walk. And she talks constantly. :)

Praying things go as well for your sweet little one.

kayte
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM
I think it's fantastic that you are doing the best by her. :hug:

Early intervention usually means lesser or no issues in the future! Way to go for you and her!

I have only ever heard someone say they wished they had gotten DC help sooner...

JTsMom
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
:hug: You did the right thing mama.

brittone2
07-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Take heart, qualifying for EI does not mean that there are long-term problems.

ITA. I'm sure it is scary in many ways especially since you've been through a diagnosis with your son, but so many kids do fine w/ speech therapy and catch up.
:hug: