PDA

View Full Version : Cut-rate versions of Sumersault bedding at Walmart?

suldog
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I found an adorable bedding set from Sumersault at Babies R Us online, but it wasn't available - probably discontinued. I was hoping someone might have a leftover set, so I checked all over, and they had it at Walmart.com at a great price – more than half off because it was discontinued…or so I thought!

However, now I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because the picture at walmart.com doesn't look like the set from Babies R Us! The overall design is the same, but the bumper is different, the dust ruffle is different, and the diaper stacker is different, and the quilt looks a little different too. I can’t tell from the pictures, but it’s probably a lot cheaper and less appliquéd, with less texture.

I am so annoyed – if they are going to sell a cut-rate version to Walmart, shouldn’t it somehow be labeled? Like Playful Puppies Lite, or something to that effect? It’s the same name and brand, and the description is identical. I ordered it last night, thinking it was the same, so I’ll wait to see which version actually comes, but I’m very annoyed. I can return it, but I just can’t believe that they can sell two versions without anything identifying them as such. Like I said, it WAS a lot cheaper, but that in and of itself doesn’t mean much, especially when it’s discontinued.

Has anyone else run into this? is this a Sumersault thing, or do all the manufacturers do it? I don't mind that they have a cut-rate version, I just can't believe that there's nothing to identify it as such and it's labeled identically to a higher-quality product.

I appreciate any responses. I'm pretty irritated, especially since this was the only set both my husband and I liked!

ha98ed14
07-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I looked it up and I see the differences you mention. It could have been two different years' models. Sometimes the manufacturers change things from one season to the next. Also, Walmart commands so much of the retail business that they can actually get manufacturers to make things exclusively to be sold at Walmart, so it could have been that too. I have seen it done with sewing machines (Brother) and a Kitchen Aid mixer last christmas. Best of luck to you.

katydid1971
07-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Often certain toys sold at Walmart will be different than the same one sold elsewhere.

suldog
08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. That's interesting about the toys - I guess the manufacturers can afford to make special cheaper toys just for Walmart, since they're such a huge distributor.

I got the bedding set, and it's definitely not a different season's version - it's just cheap. No textured fabrics, fewer appliques, much less contrast. The puppy design is the same, but overall it looks like a cheap knockoff. I'm still pretty unhappy that Sumersault was willing to sell it under the same name and line when it's so totally, completely obviously not the same product. OH well. I've learned my lesson, and probably won't waste my time buying Sumersault in the future - if they don't put out a consistent product, I'm not interested in buying it.

Thanks again!

Neatfreak
08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Isn't the problem with Wal-Mart (who probably demanded a produce at a certain price point) and not with Sumersault?

vonfirmath
08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Isn't the problem with Wal-Mart (who probably demanded a produce at a certain price point) and not with Sumersault?

Sumersault could have refused to make a new product. There's no government or law forcing them to sell to Wal-mart. Or they could have done like many other companies and give the items for Wal-mart new brand names/fashion names.

Myself, I have not found the quality of stuff at Wal-mart to be less than similar stuff bought elsewhere. My Duplos go together just the same. The games have all the same pieces, the clothes don't fade any faster than similar stuff bought at other stores *shrug* But there isn't anything I am buying that is that specific either.

suldog
08-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm upset with Sumersault because they created a different product for Walmart, at a lower quality and price point, and not only used the same motif, but the exact same line and product name. I certainly don't have a problem with them creating a lower-cost crib set for Walmart - not everyone can afford to spend $170+ for crib bedding. But they should have called it something different. To use the exact same name for what is quite obviously not the same product is deceptive, especially for online shoppers who don't have the option of inspecting the items close up.