PDA

View Full Version : 2nd seat / flying seat needed!

endlessheather
07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
We need a 2nd seat first off because DS starts preschool and we need to be able to have his daycare pick him up + we don't have a 2nd seat in DH's car yet.

DS #1 is 3 1/2 and very tall, skinny. He's currently in a Frontier, which he loves! (he calls it his racecar seat!)

DS #2 is 15 months, also very tall but a bit stalkier and rf'ing in a Marathon.
(sorry don't have weights..may do that later!)

We haven't had to fly much with the kids so far but I imagine that is changing soon. Once at Xmas 2 years ago and we took the Marathon and gate checked it in one of those backpack padded bags, put DS 1 in our lap. 2nd time I took our youngest only at 9 months and put him rf'ing in the MA in his own seat.

Now, we are booking a family trip. My youngest will be in our laps (much to my dismay but it is what it is to save $ for his fare). The 3 1/2 year old has his own seat obviously but what to put him in?

My dilemma ~ I need a 2nd seat anyhow. I want something easy to fly with, easy to install for a daycare or quick pick up but that can fit both boys.

Options I've heard of~ Radian 65 or 80?, Scenera, another MA or Nautilus?

I'm worrried that the Scenera won't work as a 2ndary seat (for my 3 1/2 year old) but would travel great. I thought maybe another MA because I don't think we'll hit the 65 lbs for a while with my 3 1/2 year old but he is tall. Radian 65 or 80 ..not sure how heavy or easy of an install say on a plane/2nd cars? Nautilus..how does this one even travel? My Frontier is out of the question to fly with..that thing is a beast imo. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!

WatchingThemGrow
07-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Roundabout50?

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
the Radian is my favorite for air travel because it folds for easier carrying, it sits low enough that they can use the tray table, and it's easy to install on the plane.

hillview
07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
the Radian is my favorite for air travel because it folds for easier carrying, it sits low enough that they can use the tray table, and it's easy to install on the plane.

:yeahthat:

We have 2 of them. They are heavy but easy-ish to carry. Get a second strap and they are backpacks. They are pretty easy to install in airplanes -- one issue rearfacing, I did it too tight and had a very hard time getting the buckle to open. I haven't had an issue in rental cars etc -- that said they are not as easy to install as a MA (but easier than a Frontier!).
HTH
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
My RN65s didn't come with a strap. Maybe only the 80s do? They sure are heavy!

PAfirsttimemom
07-31-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't have a suggestion, but I am looking for the same things you are. Hoping others will post suggestions!

AnnieW625
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Okay so I am assuming that you are going to be checking one of your Marathons, and you are going to bring a second seat for your 3/1/2 year old?

If you go with the smaller Scenera it might work for your older son on the plane but only if he meets the height requirements of the seat which is 40". I didn't care for the seat when we looked at it two years ago for DD (no padding, not nice feeling fabric), but I have heard that it's a great seat to travel with, and a good back up seat. Plus if you already know that you want to move DS2 to a Nautilus or a Frontier in the next 18 mos. then it might be good to only spend $60 on the seat. If you aren't sure about what his next seat will be then I'd look at the Radian.

I don't know if this would work for your 3/1/2 yr. old but we just ordered a Safegaurd Go for DD to use as her travel seat and to use at daycare when her DCP takes her to preschool. You could put it in your DH's car for DS1 and then move DS2 to the Marathon. You could also look at getting a CARES harness to use for your DS1 on the plane.
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Kids-Fly-Safe-CARES-Aviation-Restraint.pro
http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm .
http://www.elitecarseats.com/SafeGuard-Go.pro?utm_source=ecs&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=promo1b&utm_content=TestA-SafeGuardGoSalePrice-072909&utm_campaign=ecshomepage

Good luck!