PDA

View Full Version : What has been your favorite job?

SM23Mama21
07-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I am looking for a new job... My boss pulled me aside the other day and basically said that my 1 15 min. break a day to pump was getting in the way of me being at work. I've hated this job since I started so instead of getting upset at how wrong I think he is, I'll just consider this my push to getting a fresh start.

So my question to you is... What has been your favorite job and why?

I also want to get back in school to finish my degree so if anyone has any advice for a job that will be more flexible but still pays the bills, please let me know.

ETA: What jobs do you think are the most mommy friendly?

MamaMolly
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
I think you may need to rename your post! You need some support to pump in the office, and the ladies here are great with that info. Your boss has his/her head in a dark, unmentionable place!

But I hear you about hating your job, so I'll answer the question you asked. I am trained as a teacher for pre-k through 5th. 10 years teaching experience. My favorite teaching job was tutoring at a Sylvan. With the testing they do I 'knew' my kids the first day I met them that I would in a year of regular teaching. What I mean is that I know their deficiencies and had the tools to address them at my fingertips. It was a wonderful, gratifying teaching experience.

DebbieJ
07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
What state do you live in? Your right to pump might be protected by law.

SM23Mama21
07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
What state do you live in? Your right to pump might be protected by law.

I live in Alaska. I tried to look it up online, but couldn't find anything. I think I would be happier in a new job anyway.

Are employers required by law to give you two regular breaks a day?

SM23Mama21
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I am trained as a teacher for pre-k through 5th.

That is the degree that I am trying to finish on the side of working. I wish I could go to school full time to finish faster and get there, but we need both my husbands and my income to make life work. I'm glad to hear that you like your job and that you were able to find a good job outside the traditional classroom!

wellyes
07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Are employers required by law to give you two regular breaks a day?

Not by federal law, not sure about state law. However an employer that won't give you a 15 minute break isn't a good employer.

Mommy friendly jobs, hmmmm. Traditionally it's anything suited to part-time hours: hairdresser, gym instructor, bank teller, real estate. Mommy friendly jobs where you actually make good money? Now that is the big question everyone would like the answer to!

katydid1971
07-30-2009, 06:33 PM
teaching :)

scmama
07-30-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry your employer is not being supportive with your pumping. My first week back I had some problems too with when I needed to take a break, but it eventually worked out.

I second a job teaching or in education. I work in special ed and love it. I'm off every day at 2pm, and you can't beat the holidays and summer breaks. I'm enjoying being a SAHM this summer soooo much! I hope you find a job soon that you like a lot better :)