PDA

View Full Version : Help me generate ways of acknowledging work- related compliments

daisyd
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
When I'm being introduced to someone as one of "our outstanding team members" or when my boss compliments me on my work, I generally give a quick smile and mutter a thanks (and get uncomfortable :). Could anyone help me come up with alternative ways of acknowledging the compliment? Some people do this with consummate ease but I'm still finding my feet in this department. Thanks for reading!

sste
07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Smile. That is it.

If your boss goes on at great length or is very specific, perhaps thank him later in private for his kind words. As in, "Thank you for the kind words today." Do not mention it or thank him in front of a third party or during the introduction.

wellyes
07-30-2009, 04:13 PM
The appropriate way to accept a compliment is to say "thank you". Be careful not to deflect it or minimize your accomplishments (classic mistakes made by many women). If it's within your own team, not in front of a customer, it's best if you can use it as an opportunity to spread praise to others.... makes you look magnamonious and gives you points with whoever you're complimenting.

IMO it is better to be the one to give praise. I've sent off complimentary emails (with copy to the other person's manager) and have recommended teammates for recoginition to my own boss. All good leaders acknowledge others' work.

TwinFoxes
07-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Smile, say a quick thanks to boss, and greet the other person. A compliment given during an introduction is kind of up there with saying "how are you" it's just a filler. Not saying the boss doesn't feel you're great, but it's not the time to make a big deal out of it.

In other non-introduction situations, I agree with pp not to deflect the compliment or minimize your accomplishment. That makes you look bad, and is annoying to the complimenter (trust me, I've had employees who do this and it gets old real quick.) Try: "Thank you. I worked hard I'm glad you liked the result" or something like that. Not "It was pretty easy, glad it turned out ok."

Take credit for your work. I think it can be tricky to spread the praise around without it looking like you're minimizing your contribution. I think you should separate the two.
I'm big on giving credit where credit is due, but I'm also big on taking credit when you deserve it.

Yay for you for getting so many compliments!

daisyd
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks, these inputs were great. ITA that complimenting colleagues is important as also taking credit when its deserved.