PDA

View Full Version : I'm I nuts to hold on to this??

jgenie
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I bought this set of Legos on clearance for $15. DH will love helping DS put it together, but it is for 5 - 12 year olds and DS is 18 months. Am I nuts to save it for them?

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
How many Legos did you get for that price? Is it a set or just bricks?

At age 3+ you can get them out since choking won't be an issue and at least dh can build things for ds then if ds can't build on his own yet.

By age 4y, Legos were ds1's favorite toys. I have found that the age recommendations aren't terribly meaningful on the sets so you should be able to play with it sooner than age 5.

Beth

MamaMolly
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Nope. Not nuts at all IMO. Today DD is wearing an adorable Gymbo jumper that I bought at a thrift store before she was a year old, it is a 3T. :)
Heck, I've got her size 6 dress for her first day of first grade! And have for over a year! There is a balance bike in a box in my basement since the Amazon sale at Christmas (I plan to gift it to her this Christmas), a Radio Flyer big tricycle that I've held on to for about 2 years, two marble runs, loads of children's books, you name it!

If it is a super good deal on a classic item and I have the room what is the harm in holding on to it? They'll get to it eventually.

brittone2
07-30-2009, 04:05 PM
DH picks on his mom all of the time for saving toys, etc. from his childhood (and his siblings' childhoods) in her attic.

But when DS turned 4 and got into Lego, it was sooooo nice to have a bunch of DH's stuff to give to DS!! Especially considering the prices today.

if you don't have the storage space, craigslist it and get some Duplo. If you have the space, I'd consider hanging onto them.

o_mom
07-30-2009, 04:11 PM
In general, I think Legos will probably be a good bet at some point down the road. If you have the space and can remember that you have them in a few years, I say hang on to them.

Fairy
07-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I bought this set of Legos on clearance for $15. DH will love helping DS put it together, but it is for 5 - 12 year olds and DS is 18 months. Am I nuts to save it for them?

TIA

Hell no! You'll be pulling that sucker out faster than you know; time goes fast.

jgenie
07-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the advice - DH saw it and thinks it's cool - I think he would be sad if I returned it. :)

new_mommy25
07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Save them!! Lego are incredibly expensive. Your kids will love them someday. I didn't start letting DS play lego until he was 5 because I was worried about the choking hazard. But now that our house is covered with lego our 3 year old has started to build.

ett
07-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Agreeing with PP's to definitely save them. Legos are pricey and not discounted very often. I have definitely picked up stuff at very good prices that would not be used for several years.

MamaKath
08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
if you don't have the storage space, craigslist it and get some Duplo. If you have the space, I'd consider hanging onto them.
:yeahthat:
funny, my kids love the stuff my mom saved. My mom was mad at herself for not saving more, she spent a fortune buying some good blocks and other things when my kids came along so she would have classic toys that she/me/they would like.

inmypjs
08-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Definitely save them! You'll be glad you did!