PDA

View Full Version : So sad and hating myself right now. Does anyone have advice or similar experience?

conniez
07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
DH noticed some discoloration on DD2's top 4 front teeth. I took her to a dentist the next day & they told me it's early childhood tooth decay. :cry: DD's dentist asked me some of my daughter's habits to figure out what happened, and I told her DD2 is exclusively breastfed, she has never had a bottle and the only other liquid we give her would be water (if others are watching her). She thinks that it happened one night from bf'd the baby in bed. I couldn't help myself and started crying in front of the dentist. I just hated myself in that moment thinking that I did this to my poor baby. The dentist told me that I shouldn't feel bad and that I was trying to do a good thing for my baby by breastfeeding and that I couldn't have known, but it doesn't make me feel any better. I had heard horror stories of "baby bottle mouth" or what have you, but I never thought that it could happen from breastmilk. I don't think I'm an ignorant person...this is our 2nd daughter, but like most moms I tried to read up on all there was to know when you have a baby. I'm just so shocked that this happened to her so young, and all I can feel right now is self-loathing for letting it happen. The dentist said they are trying to get pediatricians to tell their patients about this since it is 100% preventable and many people see their peds. much more than their pediatric dentists. It just kills me that this didn't have to happen.

Has anyone gone through this before with a toddler? DD2 is only 17 months old, so the dentist recommended waiting until she was at least 2 yrs. old if I decided to do anything. She thinks that they will have to put crowns on my baby's front teeth, and that's only IF they can save them. :( At this time, all we can do is try to limit her bf'ing to the daytime which will hopefully prevent any further decay. Please pray for my baby & keep her in your thoughts. I hear so many horror stories about general anesthesia, but I understand that it's necessary for them to work on a baby. She is just so young and I'm just heartbroken that this is happening to her because of me.

sste
07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Not because of you. NOT because of you. Some people are just much more vulnerable to tooth decay. Since you now have this info about your DD you are in a much better position to prevent perm. problems when she gets her perm. teeth.

For now, why don't you try brushing every morning and night (if your DC will tolerate it I might even run a brush across her teeth after freeding but that is may be more than any DC will take). Also, try your best to save the baby teeth with the crowns as losing a baby tooth does very strongly set the stage for needing braces later (think place holder). But, before you beat yourself up further, most kids I know need braces anyway!!!

conniez
07-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Not because of you. NOT because of you. Some people are just much more vulnerable to tooth decay. Since you now have this info about your DD you are in a much better position to prevent perm. problems when she gets her perm. teeth.

For now, why don't you try brushing every morning and night (if your DC will tolerate it I might even run a brush across her teeth after freeding but that is may be more than any DC will take). Also, try your best to save the baby teeth with the crowns as losing a baby tooth does very strongly set the stage for needing braces later (think place holder). But, before you beat yourself up further, most kids I know need braces anyway!!!

We had been brushing my daughter's teeth (even b4 this) after her meals and snacks and such, but we never thought to do it after her once (or twice) nightly bf'ings. I'm honestly just reeling from the news as I never thought that breastmilk could cause this. It feels so futile sometimes...you try to do what's best for them (bf'ing) & something still goes wrong.

AnnieW625
07-31-2009, 10:48 AM
What a bummer. You know I would look into your family's history of tooth decay too. Some people just have weak teeth and your daughter might be one of them. It's perfectly natural and could be hereditary and not 100% from breast feeding.

I don't have much else to say but just good luck!

wendmatt
07-31-2009, 10:48 AM
You mustn't hate yourself. Like PP said, some people are more prone to tooth decay. I bf DD all the time until she fell asleep, in the night until she fell asleep etc.

egoldber
07-31-2009, 10:51 AM
FWIW, my younger DD nursed at night MANY times a night (still often nurses once or twice) and we NEVER brush her teeth and they are fine.

Tendency to tooth decay is highly genetic.

Frankly, shame on that dentist for even saying that because there is NO WAY they can know for certain what caused the decay.

TwinFoxes
07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with trying to save the teeth. I would think loosing them early might effect speech development.

Instead of using a regular toothbrush, I use one of those little finger tip toothbrushes. I can't imagine most toddlers tolerating a regular toothbrush, but my girls don't mind the finger tip one, they actually like it. You might give that a try in the future. I've heard that even a washcloth works.

Can I ask one question though...when you say exclusively breast fed do you mean in addition to solids? It could just as easily be the solid food that caused the decay, not your breast milk. Whichever the case, now that you know you'll be able to prevent any more decay. Good luck to you and your little one!!!

MamaMolly
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Your dentist needs to be slapped. I've never heard of BFing hurting a baby's teeth. What a load of cr@pola! How many co-sleeping babies would be toothless if this were true? I'd bet money it was discoloration due to vitamins. YOU did nothing wrong!!!!!!!

Fire your dentist. They are after your money and are using scare tactics (Crowning $$$$$ the teeth IF they can save the teeth???) and guilt to get it. What a load of crap.

If I were you I'd call my local La Leche League and see what THEY had to say about it, or trot on over to MDC and post. I don't think I'd take this dentist's word for it, they have their hand in your pocket and are after $$$ IMO.

daniele_ut
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM

Frankly, shame on that dentist for even saying that because there is NO WAY they can know for certain what caused the decay.

ITA with this. Your dentist had NO right to make you feel that this is your fault. It is NOT your fault. I know others will chime in here, but I have read several stories on here of children with early tooth decay and you should not feel that you are to blame for it.

conniez
07-31-2009, 10:56 AM
I didn't know some are more prone to tooth decay than others. I know my mom's side has bad teeth (almost everyone needed braces), but I'm not sure if either side was prone to tooth decay. Thank u all for your concern & well wishes. I just hate it when my baby is not well, and I am just so scared when I think of the dr. putting her under & at such a young age.

conniez
07-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Can I ask one question though...when you say exclusively breast fed do you mean in addition to solids? It could just as easily be the solid food that caused the decay, not your breast milk. Whichever the case, now that you know you'll be able to prevent any more decay. Good luck to you and your little one!!!

Sorry about that...yes, bf in addition to solids. I just meant I never gave her a bottle and she does not drink juice or anything like that.

kristenk
07-31-2009, 11:00 AM
The dentist is ridiculous. How in the world can you narrow it down to breastfeeding when the child is eating other things? (I noticed that you said that you were exclusively breastfeeding, but, considering your child is 17 months old, I'm assuming that your child is receiving solid food, right?)

Genetics are much more to blame than breastfeeding, I would think.

Sorry that you and your DD have to deal with this. :hug:

egoldber
07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I would recommend at least getting a second opinion.

I know many people who are VERY diligent at brushing their children's teeth from the second teeth erupt and their kids still get cavities at a young age. To say I am not diligent about tooth brushing is a vast understatement LOL! My older DD did not even start brushing her teeth until she was 5 and she has no cavities and her teeth are fine. (FWIW, she's a diligent tooth brusher and flosser now.)

Dh and I both have only a couple cavities and we are in our 40s. Some people are lucky when it comes to teeth and some are not.

Laurel
07-31-2009, 11:15 AM
FWIW, my younger DD nursed at night MANY times a night (still often nurses once or twice) and we NEVER brush her teeth and they are fine.

This. Both my kids have night nursed from birth through toddlerhood and have no decay. Your dentist is probably wrong. Here is an article about why human milk is not likely to cause tooth decay:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

deborah_r
07-31-2009, 11:15 AM
There is no way they can know that BFing during the night caused tooth decay. My kids' dentist basically some kids can eat candy and drink juice all day and night every day for years and not brush, and their teeth will be fine. But some kids won't be, and that's why we try to take preventative measures (brushing,flossing, scheduled cleanings). The dentist said (and I have read this in other sources) that there is a bacteria (I think, can't remember the exact word) that either gets introduced to your mouth or it doesn't. One of the ways it can be introduced to a toddler or baby's mouth s through sharing drinking glasses and utensils (a sip here and a bite there) with someone who has that bacteria present in their mouth. This still doesn't stop me from sharing with my kids, and we are not diligent brushers either. But I wanted you to know there are other ways this tooth decay can happen.

FWIW, I've also read if you brushed baby/toddler teeth before bed, then nurse during the night, it should not be a problem as long as the teeth were clean before nursing. The theory being that BM does not cause decay itself, but if it was holding onto the teeth because the teeth were not clean, then it could be a problem. I don't know if that is true or not.

DS1 nursed during the night for 3 years, and DS2 is going into his 3rd year now, and no major problems here. And they drink juice and eat fruit snacks almost daily (is this a confession thread, LOL?) Please don't blame yourself!

brittone2
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
FIrst, do not blame yourself.

Secondly, we were very good about dental care for DS. At 15 months he had a small cavity on the back of one of his upper central incisors. Took him to the dentist and they confirmed it was a cavity.

DS was BF. No juice, no crappy food. We had just moved from an area w/ fluoride in the water to an area without it, but obviously this started before the move (I noticed it right after our move).

The dentist blamed it on night nursing and advocated nightweaning. He told me he saw more cavities in "kids with stay at home moms" because they "have no schedule" and their kids "walk around with cheerios and a sippy of juice all day." Ummm...highly offensive!!! I am a SAHM, but my kid had barely even been exposed to cheerios, and never had juice, thankyouverymuch. I was not happy.

He really pushed nightweaning. I made it clear that we ate healthy, DS was not eating a lot of crap (including sticky stuff like crackers), and that we had good hygiene for him at home. DS was also suffering from crazy constipation following our move (started withholding) and wasn't eating much as a result. Therefore, while nightweaning might have helped, his teeth (while a major concern) were not my only concern.

THe dentist started backing down at that point. We actually still see the same guy 4 years later. I was not thrilled with him initially but we reached an understanding.

DS had that cavity filled and a sealant on the corresponding tooth on the opposite side (had the tiniest bit of decay starting there possibly).

we continued night nursing. We continued good hygiene. I started reading some good support groups (there is a Yahoo group called veryyoungkidsteeth that was very helpful to me). We started using a xylitol containing toothpaste for DS (some great research going on w/ xylitol). I never started fluoride and our current house has well water w/ no fluoride. OUr whole family uses xylitol containing dental products (gum, toothpaste). Treating the whole family helps keep the strep mutans bacteria from spreading from family member to family member (for example, some things say feeding your kid off your fork, etc. can spread the strep mutans from family member to family member).

DS is 5.5 and knock on wood has been cavity free since that point. DD is 2.5 and *still* night nurses and no sign of cavities (yet, knock on wood ;) we have a dentist appt coming up for her).

Some people are just more prone to the strep mutans bacteria that causes tooth decay. Some of those people have cavities even w/ good hygiene, diet, etc.

I highly recommend looking into xylitol if you are open to it. There are some old threads on the topic if you search. Basically it is a sugar alcohol that occurs naturally in birch, corn, strawberries, etc. THe strep mutans bacteria try to digest the "sugar" and they can't, and it causes them to die off. IMO it has a lot of the benefits of fluoride without so many of the downsides. It may also help to remineralize teeth. To me it addresses the root of the problem...addressing the bacteria that contribute to decay in the first place.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm so mad at your dentist! How dare he say something like that. He's wrong.

breastfeeding at night does not cause cavities. Breastmilk does not cause tooth decay like formula or milk can, because it doesn't have the same sugars, and in breastfeeding milk does not pool around the teeth like it does when babies fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth. It's called "baby bottle mouth", not "breast mouth". Duh.

Some people are more prone to decay than others and it tends to run in families. Now that you know, you can be sure and brush her teeth before bed. But don't worry about it if she nurses again before she falls asleep. Just make sure her teeth were clean before she nursed.

srhs
07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Yea, that's pretty crazy. And while my DS was combo fed, had plenty of bottles, etc., I'd say 90% of his BF feedings were lying down day and night, soooooo I'd expect his teeth to be terrible if that were the cause.

Just look at some family photos in a grandma's house, and you'll see teeth shape and coloring are highly genetic, IMO.

Sorry your dentist shamed you like that about the great gift you've given your LO. I'd personally look for a second opinion like Beth and others have suggested. I'd not be revisiting this dentist, as his crusade to education pediatricians on night nursing is hurtful, IMO.

dcmom2b3
07-31-2009, 11:22 AM

:yeahthat:

Just coming to post this. Approaches to treatment can vary, and, w/o wanting to denigrate your DDS, so can diagnoses. There was a peds dentist in our area who was disciplined for diagnosing and filling non-existent cavities in children.

If she is prone to decay, you might try using spiffies -- they're disposable xylitol towelettes, available on Drugstore.com -- to wipe out DDs mouth after nighttime milk. That's what I've done, and it seems to be working.

egoldber
07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
There was a peds dentist in our area who was disciplined for diagnosing and filling non-existent cavities in children.

LOL! I think we were thinking of the same story.

pb&j
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
We went through this w/DS, who is 3.

He has hypoplastic enamel (aka enamel hypoplasia - you can google either term for more info). It has hereditary and environmental components, but is NOT caused by too much sugar, BFing in bed, etc. It means that the enamel didn't form correctly, and may be extremely thin and brittle. DS's enamel on his 2 yr molars was only about 10% the thickness of normal enamel. This is how his teeth erupted; we did not cause it. Causes can be heredity, maternal illness/poor health during pregnancy, certain antibiotics, and prolonged high fever when the teeth are developing before eruption. Our dentist said his permanent teeth will likely be normal.

He never even had juice before the age of 2, and we are strict toothbrushers here. I stopped nursing long before his affected teeth erupted, and after that, he never once fell asleep while nursing/drinking milk.

If I were you, I would definitely see another dentist to get a second opinion on the treatment plan.

We saw every pediatric dentist in a 90 mile radius after DS was diagnosed. Not a single one ever said this was our fault in any way. DS ended up getting 5 crowns under general anesthesia. General is really the only way to do such extensive work on such a young child. DS is a great dental patient, but every dentist we saw recommended general. We found a practice that has an MD doing the anesthesia, and were very happy with the results.

Hugs to you!! It was a real blow to find out the extent of DS's decay.

conniez
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will get a second opinion, but it is tough and such a hardship at this time as most office visits are at least $80 for the initial consultation. My daughter's dentist was a very sweet lady, and I don't think she was intentionally trying to make me feel bad. She asked me questions & probably just assumed since I wasn't doing anything else that it was the breastmilk that possibly caused the decay on my daughter's teeth. I've become somewhat obsessed now when it comes to cleaning her teeth. After every meal, snack or bf'ing I will brush her teeth (w/out toothpaste for now) and then wipe it down with a cloth. I hope I'm not somehow wearing down her teeth by doing this?

vejemom
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
So wait a minute - the dentist thinks this happened from ONE night of not brushing after BFing? That doesn't sound possible.

brittone2
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
So wait a minute - the dentist thinks this happened from ONE night of not brushing after BFing? That doesn't sound possible.

I would agree...when I read the OP I was wondering if the dentist really said that, because to me, that seems unbelievable (I mean, unbelievable that a dentist would attribute decay to one night of not brushing and night nursing...not that I didn't believe you, OP).

Melaine
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Your dentist needs to be slapped. I've never heard of BFing hurting a baby's teeth. What a load of cr@pola! How many co-sleeping babies would be toothless if this were true? I'd bet money it was discoloration due to vitamins. YOU did nothing wrong!!!!!!!

Fire your dentist. They are after your money and are using scare tactics (Crowning $$$$$ the teeth IF they can save the teeth???) and guilt to get it. What a load of crap.

If I were you I'd call my local La Leche League and see what THEY had to say about it, or trot on over to MDC and post. I don't think I'd take this dentist's word for it, they have their hand in your pocket and are after $$$ IMO.

:yeahthat: I can't believe your dentist is correct. I would get a second opinion and really think hard before doing any kind of work on DC's teeth....

I would be PO'ed if I heard this from my dentist. I just don't believe it's true.

Melaine
07-31-2009, 01:25 PM
The dentist blamed it on night nursing and advocated nightweaning. He told me he saw more cavities in "kids with stay at home moms" because they "have no schedule" and their kids "walk around with cheerios and a sippy of juice all day."

:hopmad:WTH???

kransden
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Your dentist is crazy. My dd would have a mouthful of rotten teeth if that was true. My dd had a cavity on the front center of her front tooth when she was 2. Not a typical place to get them. The dentist said she had softs spots on her teeth, no big deal just be careful. One of the daycare workers got all worked up about it. It was very annoying. DD is now 6.5 and still no other cavitites.

When she gets older just avoid fruit sacks!

maestramommy
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM

This. Even if tooth decay is highly genetic, how could that happen in ONE night? What a weird thing to say.

You might want to get a second opinion. At this age I would be more prone to thinking the discoloration was due to vitamins or too much fluoride; or even (my own dentist asked us when Dora had spots on her teeth) high fevers.

StantonHyde
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Gads, if that were true, my kids' teeth would have rotted out by now. Take DS--he didn't stop night feedings till 15 months. I bfd until 12 months and then he got 2 bottles a night of milk for the next 3 months. And I sure as he!! wasn't brushing his teeth in the middle of the night. His teeth are fine. We used to give him flouride drops and now our water has flouride, which is great. But honestly, I think a 17 mo with a cavity just has soft enamel.

And I would not put a crown on my child's teeth--I mean I would really have to think about the risk of that. Dentist offices do not have the same resuscitation equipment that hospitals do. I would ask if the dentist was PALS (pediatric advance life support) certified before I put my toddler under any anesthesia. I could live with discolored teeth.

brittone2
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
:hopmad:WTH???

Oh yeah, I was not happy. I believe I posted the story here years ago when it happened and I'm sure I was fired up.

However, I was firm with the dentist about what things were like around our house and that nightweaning was not an option. And he started to sort of soften up and we actually sort of reached a mutual agreement...and he never said any more about it, thankfully (or we would have gone elsewhere).

He's one of the only pediatric dentists that is nearby and the office is also convenient for DH to meet me (and help w/ DD or DS or whatever).

I actually kind of like him now, but I did not like him that day, let me tell you. I didn't appreciate the SAHM comment *at all*. His wife is an orthodontist and they share a practice (same waiting room, etc.) It felt kinda "mommy wars" to me!! I totally support moms who choose to WOH, etc. but the tone of "SAHMs have no schedule" and basically let their kids run wild "with cheerios and juice in a sippy cup" was not cool.

eta: I should also point out that we figured out via xray at our first appt that DS has a supernumerary (extra) adult tooth. Not that big of a deal or that uncommon, but his is inverted and would grow up into his sinus cavity (!!!) if not removed by the time his adult teeth start erupting. So that is coming up in the next year or so. In any case, I always wonder if somehow that affected the amount of enamel or quality of enamel? No idea, I'm not a dentist, but it is in the very same area so I've always wondered.

TwinFoxes
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
. He told me he saw more cavities in "kids with stay at home moms" because they "have no schedule" and their kids "walk around with cheerios and a sippy of juice all day." Ummm...highly offensive!!!

:47: I'm not sure if I would have just stormed out, or given him a very large piece of my mind first. Why didn't he just say the reason your kid had a cavity was because you were sitting around eating bon bons and watching Oprah all day?

brittone2
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
:47: I'm not sure if I would have just stormed out, or given him a very large piece of my mind first. Why didn't he just say the reason your kid had a cavity was because you were sitting around eating bon bons and watching Oprah all day?

Yeah, I distinctly recall having very shaky hands and a lot of anger. I explained politely but firmly that was NOT the case at our house. LIke 2x because he persisted. And *then* he handed me a handout again saying "juice isn't good for kid teeth" and "avoid sticky crackers, etc." and "brush well" etc. LIke we didn't just have a conversation about it in which I told you those things did not happen at my house, kwim?

I honestly am very surprised that I held it together. The funny thing is I kind of get along with him now LOL. We had a rocky start to say the least.

Sorry for the thread jack!

Jacksmommy2b
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
**** Big Hug ****

I could have written this post. Almost word for word.

When J was 18 months we took him to the dentist for discoloration only to find that he had something like 3 cavities and a badly deteriorating tooth. To make matters even worse, M and I didn't realize we had to sign J up for his health insurance and dental insurance seperately - so the poor kid didn't even have dental insurance.

We found a great pediatric dental program attached to CHOP (children's hospital of Philadelphia) that worked with kids without dental insurance.

We also got the Bf'ing at night equals cavities speech. J never had juice, sticky snacks, candy (other than the occasional taste of chocolate) etc. Hubby was in charge of the after bath brushing and he would swipe at J's teeth with the baby brush but that was about it. We were also told that one night of crap sitting on his teeth was enough to ruin them.

After consulting with the various dentists we decided to fill the cavities and pull the decaying tooth. (I can't remember why she was against a crown.) They did the work under gas and concious sedation. J was not thrilled, but calm during the work and completely forgot about everything by the time he woke up from his afternoon nap. Like you, I was ready to call CPS on myself for being such a horrible parent and letting this happen to my poor sweet baby boy.

I was talking to one of my close Mama friends about all this. She has 3 kids under 5, all were BF for at least a year with night feedings. She told me that she brushes her kids' teeth most of thetime (when they remember) and none of her kids have ever had cavities.

I spent some time talking to her dad, an out of state dentist and he made me feel so much better about the whole thing. He was telling me what so many here have said to you. It really is about the person. Some people can drink soda and eat sweets and forget to brush and be fine, others have weaker enamel and can have devistating resluts from normal 'wear.'

IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! I know you don't believe me - 'cause I didn't believe anyone who said that to me. BUT IT ISN'T.

All you can do now is treat the problem and take preventitive measure so this doesn't happen again.

Since then (at the dentist's rec) J has his teeth brushed (with a children's toothbrush) twice a day and immediately after a sugary treat. We use Zylitol and Flouride toothpaste. He also gets zylitol mints during the day and we rub a flouride rinse on his teeth with a q-tip before bed. He also gets flossed with a children's floss every evening as well. (and you should see some of the looks you get when discussing flossing a two year old with other moms. Most people don't floss small kids - and they don't have a problem. Some kids like J just need that level of attention to his teeth.)

He is now 3+ and has been cavity free every check up since. (we did sign the poor kid up for our dental insurance at the next enrollment so he goes to the dentist for a cleaning and check up every 6 months.) And - just so you know - he self weaned a month shy of his third birthday. Night nursing did not impact his teeth at all from his 18 month experience until his weaning.

I am curious as to why they do not want to treat the problem with her teeth now. Is her decay not bad enough to warrent treatment? Are they worried about her age?

If I could offer any advice it would be to stick to a regimen like the one we have J on. And like a PP said, if you are comfortable with zylitol - I swear by it. (we buy our products from www.epicdental.com - if you do a search for zylitol I posted a code a week or two ago that will give you a 50% discount on your first order so you can try it!)

Just another hug, and good luck with everything. I know how bad you must feel about all of it - but the only thing you can do now is be insane about tooth care from here on out.

KBecks
07-31-2009, 02:28 PM

Absolutely, before putting crowns on a toddler, get a second opinion.

I agree with the others that the dentist should not have blamed you for the tooth decay, that was a mistake.

Please don't beat yourself up. Get a 2nd opinion, and then focus on moving forward with choosing treatment rather than what caused the situation.

smilequeen
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
OK. I'll try to clear some things up for you b/c your dentist seems to be getting called a quack and there is some misinformation here. I am actually a dentist and also a breastfeeding mom. I breastfed my boys overnight (with proper brushing and flossing habits). I am pretty up to date on breastfeeding and decay. It's been important to me to stay on top of it.

1. Tooth decay does have a genetic component as well as an anatomical one. It is also influenced by illnesses, medications. And of course diet and hygeine.
2. While it can never be said what exactly causes tooth decay, we actually can narrow it down to a most likely cause. Cavities on the front four teeth are USUALLY due to a liquid cause OR an anatomical one (i.e. tight contacts between the teeth that trap food).
3. If you read the kellymom article posted it states the best known information. Breastmilk ALONE does not contribute to tooth decay. But breastmilk PLUS SOLIDS can. So nightnursing in a child whose teeth are not adequately brushed at night once solids have started can cause cavities.
4. Sometimes you just don't know why a child has cavities. Sometimes it looks like an obvious cause and it isn't. Your dentist gave you the best educated guess (although 1 night would not be enough...)

However, this is not something to beat yourself up over. You had no idea. You are doing your best. You will learn from this. You are awesome!

Definitely get a second opinion. However, aside from a lack of empathy and a less than stellar chairside manner...I wouldn't exactly go on and on about how terrible and wrong and horrible this dentist is. It's really not. At least from a diagnostic standpoint, she's likely correct.

What I do disagree with is her decision to wait another 7 months! If there is decay, it's only going to get worse. If they can be filled now, I'd fill them now rather than risking losing them in 7 months. The issue there is that perhaps your LO would need sedation for this.

And a crown on a baby tooth is not the same as an adult tooth. I wouldn't allow a silver crown on the front teeth, but most of them are made of at the very least a white composite facing. It's not a ridiculous treatment, it's pretty much the standard of care if a lot of tooth structure will be lost.

Nooknookmom
07-31-2009, 04:14 PM
You mustn't hate yourself. Like PP said, some people are more prone to tooth decay. I bf DD all the time until she fell asleep, in the night until she fell asleep etc.

Me too, BFed on my side to get her to sleep for naps and bedtime. We seem OK so far, however her dentist won't see her till she's 5-changing dentists when I get home BTW!

to OP: You did *nothing* wrong and don't doubt yourself!

While pregnant, my MIL took one of the antibiotics (cyclines) that discolor teeth, she didn't know at the time that it would do damage.

He has irreversible damage and had to have some of them veneered.

I am sorry & your dentist seems like a dingdong for making you feel bad and scaring you. I'd find a new one.

SMILE :)

conniez
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM

No, my daughter nurses once or twice during the night and she's been bf since she was born (she's 17 mos. now) and the dentist was saying it's possibly because I don't brush/wipe her teeth after those nursing sessions.

stonecali
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
DH noticed some discoloration on DD2's top 4 front teeth. I took her to a dentist the next day & they told me it's early childhood tooth decay. :cry:

DS has several spots of discoloration on the front of his teeth like right on the surface (not between them). He has had two fillings, but they are right on the front of his teeth and we caught it early so the dentist did surface fillings which did not even require any numbing of the teeth. The dentist said DS has hypoplastic enamel (like PP rprav8r said her child has). Basically, the enamel on his teeth did not form normally in utero. So, we need to be extra careful with brushing since areas of his teeth have a thinner layer of enamel on them.

1964pandora
07-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Yes, this!! ^^^^ I hope no one shoots me for saying this, but the dental profession has totally lost their credibility with me. A scam artist dentist told me I needed fillings in NINE teeth. I went to get a second opinion after asking around for a dentist who had a strong reputation for honesty, and I found that I had NO decay at all when I got to an honest dentist. I would not believe this story unless I experienced it myself. I had good dental insurance and the first dentist really went for it. My son had brown staining on his teeth FROM IRON. He was exclusively breastfed and I fed him round the clock. If any baby should have gotten tooth rot from breastfeeding, it would have been mine! Just ask around for recommendations for a good, old fashioned bread and butter dentist! Good luck and I am sorry this happened to you!

Susan

new_mommy25
07-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Both my kids night nursed until they were 3 years old. DS has never had a cavity. DD had two small ones on her molars (very small, they didn't even need to numb them before filling). I had always heard that night nursing was fine, but make sure you brush their teeth well before bed to get the food off. Anyway, I would get a second opinion. I switched dentists about a year ago when DD's first cavity was discovered because I didn't like the way he spoke to me. He laughed at me when I said I wanted ceramic filling instead of silver (because the tooth is just going to fall out anyway, his words) and refused to listen to my reasons for not doing flouride supplements. Her new dentist is a dream and I'm so glad we switched.

notasherpa
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
My empathy to you. Babies get cavities for a variety of reasons and they've been well outlined here . You don't need a lecture from the dentist - just a course of action.

My youngest dd (of 4) has had 14 cavities, 4 crowns, 2 root canals, and 2 abcessed teeth. We were vigilant - she just has "challenging teeth." She also nursed exclusively for 18 months - day and night. What was I to do.

I encourage you to find a pediatric dentist who specializes in treatment and care for children who can give you a treatment plan and the counseling you need. My daughter ended up in Children's Hospital (MPLS) for day surgery for a big part of her dental work - and it hardly phased her. Really, it was harder for me, but it worked out fine. She had crowns put on her front teeth - porcelin in front w/ stainless steel behind.

My pediatric dentist is more important to me than my pediatrician.

Your baby will be fine - just ask for a referral to another dentist.

conniez
07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
What I do disagree with is her decision to wait another 7 months! If there is decay, it's only going to get worse. If they can be filled now, I'd fill them now rather than risking losing them in 7 months. The issue there is that perhaps your LO would need sedation for this.

The dentist told me it was my choice if I wanted someone to work on her before she turned 2, but she said in her opinion my daughter was two young for general anesthesia.

DrSally
08-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I haven't heard of this. Dr. Sears says there are multiple factors to tooth decay and nighttime nursing is, in general, not going to make a big impact weighed against the benefits. I know this doesn't help you, but like pp said, some people are more vulnerable to tooth decay. Please don't beat yourself up. Did she say the permanent teeth would be affected at all?

ETA: DS nursed at night until he was 10 months old and has not had a cavity. DD still nurses several times at night. It's almost impossible to brush her teeth, so I guess I should be extra careful about doing it before bedtime after reading this thread. Maybe the wipes would work better.

conniez
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I haven't heard of this. Dr. Sears says there are multiple factors to tooth decay and nighttime nursing is, in general, not going to make a big impact weighed against the benefits. I know this doesn't help you, but like pp said, some people are more vulnerable to tooth decay. Please don't beat yourself up. Did she say the permanent teeth would be affected at all?

ETA: DS nursed at night until he was 10 months old and has not had a cavity. DD still nurses several times at night. It's almost impossible to brush her teeth, so I guess I should be extra careful about doing it before bedtime after reading this thread. Maybe the wipes would work better.

The dentist didn't say anything about her permanent teeth, but I scheduled something at UCSF's pediatric dental department so hopefully they will have a better prognosis.