PDA

View Full Version : Florence/Missoula Montana?

jerigirl
07-31-2009, 02:29 PM
The in-laws are renting a house for a month in the Bitterroot River Valley and we will be visiting during the last week in August. SIL and BIL and their newborn will also be joining us at that time. We are flying into Spokane and driving to Florence. We will be there 5 days/4 nights with 6 adults and 2 kids (3yrs and about 6 weeks.) What is there to do? We have been checking the weather and it seems to be mild (esp. compared to TX!) right now.

StantonHyde
07-31-2009, 04:05 PM
There is a lot to do up there. I assume you will be near Flathead Lake? There is a lot to do on the lake--rent boats etc. Go to Glacier NP. If you go to the southern end of Glacier, there is a place where you can watch the Rocky Mountain Goats at a salt lick across the river. I will bet there are some sorts of train rides. And when we were there, there was an arts festival. I have never been with kids, but check out the Chamber of Commerce (or something like that) website on the valley and/or Flathead Lake as well as Glacier NP.

The thing to remember is that at the end of August, the nights could be cold. It might even snow during the day. I would keep an eye on the weather and pack accordingly.

Have fun!

jerigirl
08-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Actually we will be south of Missoula but I think Flathead Lake is only about an hour away. We will have to look into it. DS would love to ride on a train. Thanks for the suggestions!

AngelaS
08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Missoula has a BEAUTIFUL children's carousel that my children love! It's on the riverfront downtown and is pretty reasonable to ride. There's a big community built playground right there too. Google "carousel for Missoula". :)

Flathead and Glacier are both beautiful areas and worth drive. :)

jerigirl
08-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I have heard about the carousel. We will DEFINITELY be checking that out. Along with the playground. Thanks!