PDA

View Full Version : Best PDA for Google Calendar users?

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2009, 06:17 AM
IDSO: something that will work to let me see all our Google Calendars while I'm out and about (offline)

DH says with his iPod, he can only see his primary calendar unless he's got wi-fi and can go to the website

Anybody have a device that allows that?

ellies mom
08-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I was just wondering the same thing, then I go to the second page and there is your question. Sorry, no answers for you. I use a separate calender for each of my classes, my personal stuff and then Ray has his. I'm hoping to figure out a way to be able to see all of that offline too.

s_gosney
08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Add me to the list too. Life was already crazy, but this semester I have the added challenges of being a newly single mommy, my first go at teaching a course, and a dd who is exiting the nice university based preschool that matched my calendar to a public school K. I desperately need something that can let me bring my google calendar and remember the milk task lists along for the ride.
I just can't decide what the best option is. My sister has a phone that has a lower level data plan (i.e., not truly a smart phone; through ATT) that is about $15 a month that allows her to access RTM and google calendar, but I'm not really sure if you can see multiple calendars, etc. I need to play around with that option more. But that might be one option to consider that is less expensive than a full data plan.
I will definitely be watching this thread.

ray7694
08-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Aren't google calendars only online so how could you see them offline? I would think you would have to have a data plan with any calendars that are shared.

ellies mom
08-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Aren't google calendars only online so how could you see them offline? I would think you would have to have a data plan with any calendars that are shared.

There should be a way to download a the most recent version onto some device even if just for reference purpose. I think I was trying to use my PDA that I use for school and it didn't sync with that device.

But I did find this while looking today, so maybe they've made changes. (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=65923&topic=13561)

mytwosons
08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm going to go look at the Palm Pre. One of the reasons is I've heard it can sync multiple calendars, including Google.

ellies mom
08-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm going to go look at the Palm Pre. One of the reasons is I've heard it can sync multiple calendars, including Google.

I'd love to get something like that but I'm in nursing school and we aren't allowed to have phones on the floor (school policy) so whatever PDA we have can't be a phone. I love the Palm OS but apparently they've decided to focus on phones and the quality of their PDAs have plummeted. That leaves the Windows OS which I do not like (the devices themselves are clunky too) and the iTouch which I do like.

Davids-Coco
08-01-2009, 06:44 PM
If you set up the google cals as subscriptions, then you can get multiple on an iphone... so I assume the same is true of an ipod. It should keep the last updated version.

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
If you set up the google cals as subscriptions, then you can get multiple on an iphone... so I assume the same is true of an ipod. It should keep the last updated version.

I'll let DH know/try that on his ipod touch.

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I ended up doing the Palm Pre - yes, I just posted the question this morning. They have a really good return policy on the device - almost Costco style, so I figured it could only be good to try it. With my (former) employer's discount, upgrading my plan with minutes and data really didn't cost me much more at all compared to the overages I was getting having to call DH to look up stuff for me online.

The Pre can pull up Google Calendar quite nicely. We'll have to see how it functions IRL, though. We drained the initial charge today and will have to wait until tomorrow to see how well it meets my needs.

niccig
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
With my iPod touch I sync my calendar maybe once every 2 days. I don't need it to be a live connection all the time. If I make a change to the calendar at home or on the iPod when I'm out, I then sync when I get home so it all matches. This wouldn't work for a business users with heavy use and frequent changes to their calendar.

gordo
08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I can view all my google calendars on my iPhone and it syncs wirelessly. I LOVE it!