PDA

View Full Version : I need a gift for a two year old

eda
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
My DD and I are going to our first birthday party. My DD is only 8 months old so I have no idea what is "in" for a two year old girl and how much should you spend? When I was young the birthday limit was $20 has it gone up?

swrc00
08-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I think $20 is fine. I just bought a gift for a two year old friend's DD's party. I spent $30 but I bought the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Alphabet, a Melissa and Doug circular puzzle, and a set of alphabet flashcards.

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK
$20 at Target

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Friends-Circular-Puzzle/dp/B000VO3HDW
$7 at Homegoods

Melaine
08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I think $20 is just fine, I often spend less because of hitting the bargains. MagnaDoodles, wooden puzzles, or a doll stroller are some things that have been favorites since my girls' second birthday.

MamaMolly
08-01-2009, 09:16 PM
ITA that a nice M&D wooden puzzle makes a great gift. At that age the chubby knob ones are good, and I love the farm animal one (the pieces are the animals) so cute! She also got into baby dolls around that age, so maybe a little folding stroller and a dolly? And $20 sounds pretty normal around here.

Christeen_Trevor
08-01-2009, 09:32 PM
baby doll and stroller
little people
Books Dr Suess, cordoroy, Angelina Balerina
Melissa and doug stacking abc card board blocks
Alex tub toys my kids like the one with the cars and race track
Leapfrog fridge letters
Lawn mower that blows bubbles

jent
08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
The Melissa & Doug cutting food set was one of the biggest hits for DD's 2nd birthday: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Cutting-Food-Box/dp/B000GKD09C

DD loves dolls and all things doll-related, but by her 2nd birthday she already has 5 dolls and 2 strollers. Doll accessories could be cool-- like a set of feeding stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Mon-Premier-Nursery-Mealtime/dp/B000FPFBYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249176599&sr=8-1
or a crib, highchair, set of doll clothes (though my 2y/o can't dress/undress her doll yet) might be good.

Books and chunky wood puzzles are always good.

DrSally
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Another vote for m&D puzzle (there are ones that make sounds and the "latches" one is cool) or cutting food. We just bought the M&D slice and bake cookies and they're fun. I think it says 3 and up, but there are no small pieces. The mobi tykelight was just on sale at Amazon, it's normally aound $20 and DS really enjoys his.

Melaine
08-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Sally and Jen, I totally forgot about the slice and bake cookies and cutting foods from M&D. ITA, those have both been BIG hits since Christmas when my girls were a little over 2. You can get a great deal if you go to AC Moore and print out their weekly coupon, too.

Neatfreak
08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Fisher Price Little People were insanely popular at two years here ...

mommylamb
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I always give books as gifts. DS is 2, and he loves books much more than toys.

brittone2
08-02-2009, 05:12 PM
DD is 2 and adores puzzles (moreso than my son at that age).

Anything fine motor related is a big hit w/ her (likes her latches board, etc. too)

Doll stroller...Maclaren one is like $15-20 if I remember right. DD loved hers for her 2nd bday.

Books

CD

The M&D cutting food was big w/ my DS at that age.

DrSally
08-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I recently got the slice and bake cookies for 15.xx at Amazon.

vonfirmath
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
My son turns 2 today.

He's getting:
Duplo Legos
a toddler backpack
Mr. potato head
A bathtime toy
sensory ball
his first DVD (Leapfrog Letter Factory)
Cozy Coupe (which I wish I'd gotten for Christmas last year because the summer is almost over now!)
wooden blocks (the set I played with growing up)
Books (I'm the biggest thing in the ocean by Kevin Sherry, Good Egg by Barney Saltzburg -- Maybe we're going on a bear hunt by Helen Oxbury)

Other things on the list that we just can't do right now:
Little People (a garage set or a home set. Or maybe the A to Z animals)
toy shopping cart
first train set
Haba fantasy blocks