PDA

View Full Version : sophie the giraffe; believe the hype!!!

neeleymartin
08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
my ds LOVES this thing. i have never seen a toy like this. most of the time a toy loses it's excitement over the course of play. this has not. he LOVES it. props to vulli. :cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerle ader1::cheerleader1:

kayte
08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
my ds LOVES this thing. i have never seen a toy like this. most of the time a toy loses it's excitement over the course of play. this has not. he LOVES it. props to vulli. :cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerle ader1::cheerleader1:

DD Loved hers too--played with it for months non-stop. I put it away with her baby things---it looks the same as the day we got it.

wellyes
08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
DD loved Sophie so much that she is in her official 6 month photos. Not that we were trying to be cute, it was just the best way to keep her happy.

I think it looks like a puppy toy but it was DD's favorite thing in the whole wide world for quite a while.

prego08
08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
yes my friends always ask me why DS has a dog chew toy. ha...i'm embarrassed to tell them that it cost $20! but DS loves it too. we went to the zoo yesterday and took a picture of him gnawing on Sophie next to real giraffes.

Neatfreak
08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Sophie was a surprisingly good inventment!

ourbabygirl
08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Just curious, how long do you think Sophie will appeal to a kid? Our DD is almost 10 months old & has gone through some rotten teething; a friend said Sophie's the only thing that helped her DC. I guess I could get one and keep it around for DC #2 (not in the works yet), but want to know if it'll be worth it. Also, where did you order yours?

TIA!

DrSally
08-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I wish I would've gotten one when DD was younger.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-02-2009, 10:24 PM
we just got Sophie at almost 10 months and it was well worth whatever we paid for her. She is the perfect baby toy. Just the right size, just the right texture and rubberiness to chew on, and cute too.

I just wish she didn't squeak. There is no reason for that.

athompson
08-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Okay, this is too funny. I've heard so much about this toy on this board and I just looked it up on Amazon for the first time. I had the darn thing for my 2nd daughter (she's now 2 1/2) and donated it because I was on a "get rid of all plastic" rampage and didn't know what it was! I now have an eight month old that loves to chew on anything/everything. It would be really crazy to buy another one...right?;)

WatchingThemGrow
08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Crud, I thought I was FINE not having to purchase another baby toy. If it keeps little ones that happy, is seems wrong to deny the poor third child just ONE brand new chew toy, doesn't it? Does anyone have it with free shipping or at a B&M store?

kijip
08-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Crud, I thought I was FINE not having to purchase another baby toy. If it keeps little ones that happy, is seems wrong to deny the poor third child just ONE brand new chew toy, doesn't it? Does anyone have it with free shipping or at a B&M store?

The local chi chi baby places here in town have it. Independent baby clothes and toy sellers.

WatchingThemGrow
08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
The local chi chi baby places here in town have it. Independent baby clothes and toy sellers.

ok, will check those out. We used to have a plethora of those, but I've noticed lately a few are closed down. There is an indy toy store a stone's throw from us.

Oh, wait!!! I'll add it to our Google wishlist and let someone else find it :)

ourbabygirl
08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Just ordered one from Tiny Baby Organics (? Do a Google search for Sophie the Giraffe free shipping)- I think that's the website. Anyway, it was $19.95 & free shipping (3-8 days, it said). There may be a few other places that do, too... also saw it for $18 on Amazon, plus shipping for $4.24, I think.

ourbabygirl
08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Tiny Birds Organic Baby

(website)

kijip
08-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Amazon has it for 19.95 with free super saver shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IDSLOG/ref=asc_df_B000IDSLOG866727?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-baby-delta-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000IDSLOG

catpagmo
08-03-2009, 12:49 AM

So glad to hear this! I just ordered one for DS from Amazon and had second thoughts about spending nearly $20 on a teether. He's really into the Raz-Berry teether thing, so I'm hoping he'll love Sophie just as much! Can't wait for her to get here so DS will stop chewing on my knuckle.

lcarlson90
08-03-2009, 12:58 AM
How long did your babies use Sophie? My DS just turned one and I am wondering if he would still get any use out of her.

bigpassport
08-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Sophie was on my Amazon registry but not purchased:( How early do you think Sophie will be useful? DS is only 8 weeks. But I'd like to get it by the time its useful for him.

kristac
08-03-2009, 08:11 AM

http://www.sophiegiraffeusa.com/stores.html

wellyes
08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Okay, this is too funny. I've heard so much about this toy on this board and I just looked it up on Amazon for the first time. I had the darn thing for my 2nd daughter (she's now 2 1/2) and donated it because I was on a "get rid of all plastic" rampage and didn't know what it was!

LOL. Sophie is rubber, btw. My husband, who is an engineer & works in manufacturing, was flipped out by the Sophie box which explains the 60+ manual steps to create each doll. Says we don't own anything else that nice.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Sophie was on my Amazon registry but not purchased:( How early do you think Sophie will be useful? DS is only 8 weeks. But I'd like to get it by the time its useful for him.

I would get it now. At first you will be using it to capture baby's attention by squeaking it or waving it around. Sophie is pretty and nice for babies to just look at. You could even put it on the changing table to hold baby's attention while you change diapers.

By the time baby is about four months old, they start to hold toys and the legs of Sophie are just the right size for grasping. And it is light enough for babies to hold on their own.

neeleymartin
08-03-2009, 09:58 AM

ds is just about 4mos. he finally has the coordiantion to get it into his mouth by himself. early i could have held it for him. and i am sure that he would have enjoyed the soft squeak earlier, too. hth

ang79
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I have a coupon to use at an online baby store, making Sophie $14 with shipping. DD is 8 mos, has just gotten her first two teeth (bottom) and puts everything in her mouth. She really likes the bracelets and necklaces I have from Smart Mom teething bling, but I was looking for something else for her, since I have this great coupon to use ($15 off!) and saw they had Sophie. Is it worth getting it at 8 mos. old? Or should I just get one of those RazzBaby things?

shawnandangel
08-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I was going to purchase Sophie a few months back until I read some of the reviews on Amazon.

Here is one:

"WARNING...never leave your child unattended with this toy!
I was holding my friends baby in my lap while she was playing with her Giraffe, and my friend screamed~she's choking! The baby had the head in her mouth~the material is so flexible that is caved in enough to get in her throat, then expanded again in her throat! I literally had to pull it out! Had she been in her rear facing car seat when this happened~well, I don't even want to think about it!"

There are other reviews about babies choking on the legs, as well as the paint on Sophie coming off when baby chews on her. I know a lot of the moms here have had a positive experience, but there were enough choking reviews (I read 3 - that's enough for me) to make me change my mind on this toy.

ourbabygirl
08-04-2009, 11:35 PM
WOW- thanks for the reminder! Scary...

catroddick
08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I just wish she didn't squeak. There is no reason for that.

Oh, if you saw the way my baby smiles when she hears Sophie squeak, you'd change you mind. DD LOVES Sophie! :love5:

wellyes
08-05-2009, 07:48 AM
There are other reviews about babies choking on the legs, as well as the paint on Sophie coming off when baby chews on her.I don't think it'd be possible to choke on the legs - they're pretty short and narrow. As for the head, it's I suppose it's possible, but that sounds like a kind of freak accident to me. VERY scary though I'm sure. The paint is vegetable-based dye, safe for babies to suck on.

scmama
08-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Ds loves Sophie!!! He can fit the legs inside his mouth, but has never choked on them. This is one of the things I recommend to everyone!!!