PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for LARGE family vacation on beach

happy2bamom
08-02-2009, 08:08 PM
We would like to do an extended family vacation on a beach front property on the East Coast. (I'm thinking one of the Carolina's or Florida). Any suggestions for specifics areas/towns to stay in or better yet, if you have a rental that you've stayed in and LOVED, I would really appreciate that information. We want somewhere that is family oriented, not party central.

At a minimum, we need a 5 bedroom (probably at least 4 bathrooms). There will be about 20 of us (kids range from 2 years to 9 years old). Ideally, I would like beach front with a private swimming pool.

This probably won't happen until next year, but I wanted to start looking now b/c the good places seem to book-up fast. TIA

clc053103
08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
What you are describing sounds exactly like the Outer Banks. Huge houses of 5 bedrooms or more, beach front, often with pools, and very reasonable for what you are getting. The drive can be painfully long, but it sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

scrooks
08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I vote Hilton Head. Many houses like that. It seems like when we have looked in the past you are more likely to find a house with a private pool on Hilton Head than some of the other popular beach destinations.

ErinMC
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
We just got back from an extended family vacation in Ocean Isle, NC. It was very close to South Carolina, just about 45 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, and we all LOVED it. We actually stayed in separate condos next to each other (7 condos - a total of 38 people!) because we had a large variety of groups (families with young kids who wanted quiet, as well as cousins in their early 20's who wanted to party until the wee hours) rather than a big house together, but there were a ton of larger homes with 5-6 bedrooms, private pool, etc right on the beach.

We went through Williamson Realty (http://www.williamsonrealty.com/) and had a great experience with them but there are also a bunch of other realty companies you could check out too.

Very family-friendly beach and warm water. Good luck!

Twoboos
08-03-2009, 08:29 AM
My cousin and his fam stayed here this spring and they LOVED it! 5 br, 4 ba, oceanfront penthouse. (Well, top floor, LOL.)

http://www.vacationrentals411.com/vacation/17474.html

GL!

Melaine
08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Holden Beach, NC is a great family spot:
http://www.holden-beach.com/
(this is just what came up when I googled, no particular experience renting there)

scrooks
08-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Holden Beach, NC is a great family spot:
http://www.holden-beach.com/
(this is just what came up when I googled, no particular experience renting there)

A coworker of mine has gone to Holden Beach for years. They enjoy it a lot. They now take their granddaughter there!

egoldber
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Another South Carolina option is Wild Dunes resort on Isle of Palms. We stayed there with DH's family a few years ago and it was lovely.

They have houses and condos of all sizes available.

firsttimemama
08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I am spoiled by the white sand and blue/green water of the gulf coast of FL and because of that I don't enjoy Outer Banks, etc as much.

If you decide on Florida, definitely check out the South Walton area (my favorite) or Destin.

To save money on your rental, try VRBO.

star04
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I grew up going to Ocean Isle, NC. It is very family-friendly and we loved it. You can get beach-front houses, but we always got a house on an inlet row/sidestreet that had a little dock for fishing. I remember Ocean Isle having very few restaurants and a waterslide park. There may be more now. It is located between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC if you wanted to venture out for things to do.

I also recommend Emerald Isle, NC which is further north. It is family friendly as well, but maybe a little busier. It has several restaurants, go-carts, putt-putt, waterpark, NC aquarium, small movie theater, bowling, and more.

alexsmommy
08-05-2009, 04:40 PM
My DH's family did Kingston Plantation in Myrtle Beach. We rented two condos above one another. It worked well Easy beach access, a small waterpark on site, and with two condos, we had one "quiet" one and one "crazy" one, so late night the adults could be loud and doing Karaoke, and for partry poopers like me (I do NOT karaoke) there was a place to go talk, put the little ones down etc.

ILmomtobe
08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
My family did a week at a house on the Isle of Palms outside Charleston, SC. Our house was right on the main road of the island, five bedroom, and pretty much every house on the road was that big. We had 19 people including six kids between 2 and 8 years old. The beach was right across the road.

You might also look into a resort on the island called Wild Dunes, which had golf courses, a nice pool and its own beach. We said if we ever went back we'd stay there so the kids can play at the pool and adults can golf.

It's not a party area, but Charleston is about ten minutes away and has some fabulous restaurants, and there are a few cute little towns nearby with great taverns if the adults want to get out for a drink.