PDA

View Full Version : TMI my toenail is coming off....

Melaine
08-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Sorry this is so gross but....

I stubbed my toe the other day (on the learning tower btw) and it hurt. Later I realized my toenail was very loose. Just now I snagged it again and the entire thing is barely intact and there is blood all the way around it. Any words of wisdom? I am definitely losing the nail...anything I should do to prevent infection and protect it. DH said put a bandaid on it. Wow...what sound and very helpful medical advice (sarcasm).

It's my baby toe....Thanks for any tips!

tnrnchick74
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
There isn't much you can do. It will take quite awhile for the toe nail to regrow - sometimes up to 1 year!

I recommend antibiotic ointment while the "quick" is still bleeding/open/raw + a bandaid.

After it heals a bit, cuticle cream or vit e oil onto the bare nailbed and keep protected (bandaid, tubular gauze, corn cover, etc).

Melaine
08-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Up to a year, for real? What a bummer. I love the LT, but Geez Louise. Now it will look weird if I paint them and weird if I don't.
Thanks, I will do what you said.

roobee
08-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I think you can buy fake press-on toe nails.

Sorry - that sucks! ouch!

writermama
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I lost my big toe nail after dropping a 45 pound free-weight plate on it. IIRC, treatment was antiseptic cream, gauze pad wrap at first, gradually working down to a band-aid, and waiting for it to grow back. It seemed like it took forever, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a year. now, looking a them, I can't even remember which one it was.

Melaine
08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
yikes a 45 lb weight plate on your big toe....that's awful!

aks226
08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I've lost my little toe nails more times than I can remember. I am not graceful by any means and my poor toes take the brunt of it.

While the nail bed is still soft and I'm wearing closed up shoes, I will bandaid it, but when I've got some time to run around barefooted or in flipflops I let it get some air so it toughens up. I've never had an infection, but I have noticed the nail is a bit thicker each time it comes back.

Hope it feels better soon!

DietCokeLover
08-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Ow! Bless your heart. Hope it heals quickly.

Gena
08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I lost the nail on one of my big toes when I was a little kid - about 5 years old I think. I dropped a dresser drawer on it. I had to have nail removed at the doctor's office. It was a very traumatic experience for me at the time, but thankfully I don't remember all the details now.

My toenail grew back of course, but it's a different shape and much thicker than the others.

I hope your toe feels better soon!

bubbaray
08-02-2009, 10:53 PM
My DH loses toenails ALLLLLL the time. In fact, he has a missing one now. Honestly, it makes me gag. And, yes, it takes about a year to grow in -- just in time for him to lose one again!

MamaMolly
08-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Owie, owie, owie! I'm so sorry. No advice, but it sounds so painful. Hope it feels better soon.

ThreeofUs
08-02-2009, 11:01 PM
No advice, just a {{hug}} and some commiseration.

OUCH! I know *exactly* how that feels! Have some wine - it's good for many ailments!

:54:

dcmom2b3
08-02-2009, 11:57 PM
IME, get thee to a podiatrist. I had a similar situation, and the podiatrist told me that leaving the old nail on there could permanently affect how my nail grew in.

I had it removed, and had a creepy "I have half a tonail" phase, but it was 25 years ago, and I haven't had any problems since.

3blackcats
08-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I split my big toe all the way up and it hurt so bad. The toenail was still hanging on, so the pedicure woman put an acrylic nail on it. Then it could grow. Once it grew out long enough I just pulled the fake one off.