PDA

View Full Version : A Booster for a Chubby Child?

kransden
08-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I have a graco? backless booster. We use it for airplane trips. I also use for dd's larger and taller friend. Well, she is now too wide to fit in the backless booster. Any suggestions? I only need a backless one. Do they make such a thing?

o_mom
08-03-2009, 07:32 AM
If you need one at B&M, Harmony Secure Fit booster at TRU is what I use for my larger passengers: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3472171

They also have a slightly different one at Walmart that is cheaper and has free ship to store (looks like it is out of stock other than pink righ now): http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10992661

clc053103
08-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hijack, but can anyone recommend a HBB for the same situation? I am thinking Monterey? Thought it's a bit heavy for carpooling, it looks like the best option.

o_mom
08-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Monterey is nice and wide, but as you said, not great for carpool. We use an old-style Parkway as well and the lack of armrests is good for this situation. Not sure the new one would work, though. Compass boosters are pretty wide, but the lapbelt fit isn't great on younger kids in some cars. AirBooster is wide, but really not tall enough for older kids and too deep for younger kids.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas!

CiderLogan
08-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Our Compass booster is very wide.

clc053103
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the ideas- I am guessing the compass weighs less too- is there a particular model # that is superior in the compass, I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

o_mom
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas- I am guessing the compass weighs less too- is there a particular model # that is superior in the compass, I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

The B510 and B540 are the ones you want. They have deeper side impact protection and are taller.

It is hard to shop, though, because you can only find the model numbers on the webpages, sometimes only in the address. Then they give them all names like 'Deluxe' and 'Premier' that don't seem to have any relationship to the actual model numbers, lol.

Here's a c&p of a previous rundown:

B500/505 - this one is not very tall and doesn't have deep wings.

B510/510 Premier - this is a taller one with deeper wings, premier comes with a travel bag and nicer fabrics

B530 - Taller version of the 500/505

B540 - Taller version of the 510

clc053103
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
great- thanks! I am thinking of ordering one somewhere that does returns to give it a test drive. DS is approaching the limits of his RN and i want to be prepared- also would like it to drive DS friends around (I cringe when I say this, but some of them have been in Turboboosters- even BACKLESS- since age 3 - and they are all 1/2 the size of my DS!)