PDA

View Full Version : naps? wake up time?

neeleymartin
08-03-2009, 04:26 PM
my ds1 goes down for a nap between 12:30 and 1:30 depending on ds2 (whether i can put him down or not). generally falls asleep by 1:30 at the latest. i always open his door at 3pm. and then wake him at 3:15 if not awake yet. i always worry about night sleep.

i just listened to a podcast. the woman said that as long as they are up for 4:45, their night rhythms will be fine. this is based on a 6pm bedtime. ds goes into bed at 6:30. sounds late to me to wake him at 4:45. has anyone done this late time. i think he would wake up on his own by then. if i wake him he is a BEAR!!!

any advice or previous experience would help. tia

the2bobs
08-13-2009, 03:44 PM
DS (21 mos old) takes a nap around 1'ish and will sleep 3-4 hrs. He goes to bed around 7:30-8pm (gets up around 7am). There have been many times when we've had to wake him up at 6pm and he will sleep fine at night. He's a great sleeper though, so this may not help you. I think it depends on the kid. He's really active and wears himself out so he needs a lot of sleep.

SnuggleBuggles
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Ds1 went through a phase of napping till 7pm and going to bed at 10pm when he was under 2yo. Ds2 is following suit some days (naps til 6, bedtime 9-9:30). Nighttime sleep was never an issue. Well, they both play for a while before going to sleep but that doesn't bother me since mornings can start late.

Experiment and see. That's the best you can do.

Beth

egoldber
08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
With my older DD, she could nap any time and sleep fine at night. But with my younger, if she slept past 2, getting her to bed at night was wretched. That advice works for some kids, but not all.

ahrimie
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I usually don't wake up DD, even if she's sleeping in the early evening finishing up her 2nd nap. Usually, she has no problem going back to sleep in 2 hours. DD usually goes down around 10:30-11:30 and will sleep until 1 or 2pm. If we are home, I try to put her down again by 4-4:30 and she'll sleep until about 6-6:30pm. And bedtime is usually about 8:30pm. I've tried stretching her out until 6pm to just sleep for the night but she usually wakes up again around 9pm to play! If I can't put her down before 6pm for a nap, I keep her awake until past 7-7:30pm.

If your DS sleeps past 3pm naturally, try leaving him for a few days just to see what happens.

neeleymartin
08-14-2009, 08:35 PM
well, letting him sleep until he wakes on his own does not seem to effect his night sleep cycle. wakes up in a much better mood. thanks for the info and thoughts from all. trial and error is always best. fwiw, i didn;t see any of these thoughtful responses until just now. i practically live on the board and i can't imagine that i missed these. :shake: i have to find a better way to keep up on my own posts so people don't think i'm a non-responding jerk. thanks again.