PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help Needed - Call Doctor?

DietCokeLover
08-04-2009, 10:12 AM
DS is 21 mos old. I just noticed that his left ear is exceptionally red. Looking at it closer it is very swollen and seems to have a knot on it. It's also a bit warm, not hot, but not his normal body temperature.

He doesn't seem to be hurting, but I'm not sure where this came from. It wasn't like that 30 mins or so ago.

Any thoughts? Does this warrant a call to the doctor? Our doctor is an hours drive away so I hate to just make random drives if not necessary.

Thanks!

egoldber
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I would definitely at least call the ped and see what they say. Is there an urgent care closer to you?

khalloc
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont think i would call the doc. Its just on the outside of his ear? like not in the ear canal? Maybe he just got stung by something. I would wait a bit and see if the swelling comes down soon on its own.

Edensmum
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Do you think it's an infection or like a bug bite? I think if it's just the outside I would watch and wait. Do you think he was bitten or hit it somehow?

Reyadawnbringer
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a bug bite to me- try calling the doc and asking if there is something like cortisone that you can rub on it to help.

Fairy
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM
It does sound like a bug bite. But I'd really call the doc. I'm a doc-caller.

DietCokeLover
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks everybody. I did call the doc and they've recommended me bring him in.

Oh well, it's an hour drive, but maybe I can swing by Target while I'm there. Ha... I'm always looking for an excuse.

Thanks again for your input.

neeter
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Exact same thing happened to us and we went to the doctor -- it was a mosquito bite!!

DietCokeLover
08-04-2009, 06:20 PM
BAck from the doctor... it's Hives. (found one more welt while dressing him to go to doc) He's had an allergic reaction to something. They gave me a steroid and an epi-pen for just in case scenario. Now to figure out what he's allergic to.

DrSally
08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a bug bite. Oh, I see your update. Darn! I hope you figure out what the allergy is and how he got it on his ear.

ThreeofUs
08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
BAck from the doctor... it's Hives. (found one more welt while dressing him to go to doc) He's had an allergic reaction to something. They gave me a steroid and an epi-pen for just in case scenario. Now to figure out what he's allergic to.

Oh, my! Good on you for getting him in!

Sending you good vibes for finding out what he's allergic to.

:hug:

khalloc
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow my son had crazy hives for a month and I we didnt get an epi pen! My sons doc said hives are usually caused by a virus.