PDA

View Full Version : Moon Sand - Do you like it??

updacountry
08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok, Target had a great sale on Moon Sand. I picked up a couple of sets plus tubs of extra sand. I opened one this weekend for my DD 4 and I must say I wanted to throw it in the garbage. We started on the table on a plastic tablecloth and moved to the floor when I saw that is where it was ending up anyway. She had it all over her hands and clothes and I only let her use one color on either side of the set. I bought a set for a birthday present this week but really am thinking of returning it all.

Please someone tell me what we are doing wrong. How do you use it or should I just return it all. Maybe that is why it was on sale, huh????

Thanks
Jill

pb&j
08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Moon Sand is one of those things that people without kids buy as a gift for people with kids. It seems like a fun idea, but in reality it is a big mess and totally not worth it.

hobie
08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
It's also one of those things that is fun to do at pre-school, but not something I want in my house.

bubbaray
08-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I HATE it. HATE it. I only let my girls' play with it outside and even then, it sticks so badly to our aggregate patio that I basically have to pressure wash it off. It is a huge PITA.

WatchingThemGrow
08-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I bought some at the Kmart sale and thought I better do some research on here. It ALL went back before getting opened.

updacountry
08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
ok, looks like we will keep the one we opened and return the rest. I almost want to give it to the person I bought it for because I'd rather my daughter not be friends with them, maybe Moon Sand would seal the deal, lol! Now to drag those heavy tubs back to Target.

Thanks for making me feel ok with not getting the facsination!

elliput
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
DD has only played with it once and that was during an OT session. While it was kinda fun, the therapist wasn't that thrilled with it either.

belovedgandp
08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I hate it. We play with it on a limited basis and only outside. We've received twice as gifts once from a school friend for his b-day and once from MIL.

It scratched the heck out of my kitchen table and the cookie sheet I had my son use to contain it the first time. That's when it moved outside. It's not like play-dough that gets hard to vacuum up or can be mushed together with your finger to clean up. A vacuum attachment is about the only thing inside.

fortato
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I got a big classroom pack of it for $10 and I have yet to open it.
I KNOW better, and I still bought it.

inmypjs
08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I bought some at the Target sale too and wasn't sure what to do with it. I had searched for it here and saw some people hated it. So I mentioned I was going to return it on a thread in the Bargain Forum and had several people post that they love it! So I don't know! I guess I have 3 months to decide, since that is Target's return policy. I don't want to give it as gifts if I'd hate it though. I might just have to break down and try some.

inmypjs
08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Follow up question - would it work inside, in a water table with a big sheet or table cloth underneath?