PDA

View Full Version : S/O: How often do you wash your bedding (mattress pad/duvet/etc.)

salsah
08-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't wash mine enough. The duvet and duvet cover (plus shams) need to be dry cleaned and since we don't sleep with them, i might only get around to taking them in once a year. The mattress pad needs to be done in professional washing machine so I only take that in on a as needed basis.

How often do you wash yours?

s7714
08-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Our summer weight king size cover fits in my washing machine, so it gets washed at least once a month. In the cooler months when our cats sleep on the bed, it gets washed weekly when I change the sheets and mattress cover. Our winter weight comforter (which is really only used about 3-4 months of the year) gets taken to the cleaners once each Spring when it warms up enough to put the lighter cover back on.

We don't use decorative pillow shams. They're folded up somewhere in the linen closet. :D If we did use them then I'd throw them in the wash about once a month or so too (provided of course they aren't slept on).

kijip
08-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Pillow shams get washed about once a week, with the sheets and pillow cases (which are washed once a week but changed 1-2 times a week- we have 3 sets per bed). The all cotton blankets (1 per bed) every month or so. Bedspreads and duvet covers as often as needed. We don't have anything on our beds that is taken off when we sleep. In the summer, the bed spreads get folded up and left at the foot of the bed so they get washed more often in winter. The zipped pillow covers and mattress protectors get washed every other sheet change so at minimum 2 times a month.

Luckily, we have a large FL machine and everything we need to wash can fit in there. Though since we just have a full bed, our bedding is smaller. We don't have down comforters because I don't like the feathers coming out of the ticking and they get too hot...it rarely gets all that cold here.

specialp
08-05-2009, 06:45 AM
The duvet and duvet cover (plus shams) need to be dry cleaned and since we don't sleep with them, i might only get around to taking them in once a year.

Same here w/ dry cleaning. Twice a year - when the time changes so I don't forget.

maestramommy
08-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Once every couple of months maybe? They take up a lot of room in the washer. Just the two of them together could be their own load, and I try to do only one load a day, even though I'm stuck with two loads once every other week (we have an aging septic tank).

doberbrat
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM
pretty much everytime I do my sheets which is not nearly as often as I'd like every couple of weeks. takes 3 loads to do all the bedding - 1 for sheets, 1 for blanket and 1 for the comforter. the dogs sleep in our bed so they need to be washed fairly often.

trales
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
duvet - um never
duvet cover - 1-2 times per year
shams - same
mattress pad cover - once per month

alien_host
08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
shams - you are supposed to wash those? ;) - FWIW we don't sleep on the sham pillows.
duvet cover - when we take the down comforter off in the late spring.
mattress pad - probably every other time I do the sheets. Since we only have one, I need to strip the bed and wash it immediately to get the sheets back on so sometimes I skip it b/c it's a PITA.