PDA

View Full Version : How do you get your DC to clean up?

kristac
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
DS is 4.5 and lately getting him to pick up his toys is like pulling teeth. He CAN NOT FOCUS. :bouncy: He will pick up one item and then go do a headstand on the couch. I then refocus him and he picks up another toy- but this time he has to pretend he is a crane complete with sound effects- no wait- now he must go get the toy crane (that was put away) and use that on every individual toy. More head standing. Then he finds a toy he wants to play with in one of the bins where he was putting things away. Refocus. Now he decided he wants to use a basket to pick up all the toys so he finds a full one and dumps it out.... ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've tried putting the toys he doesn't pick up in X time in time out. It doesn't seem to help motivate him. Yesterday I tried a smiley chart- for each room (3 total) he cleans he gets a smiley. When he gets 10 smileys he gets a reward. He blew raspberries at me when I explained the new system. I persisted. After much redirecting and me doing more then half the work he earned 3 smiley faces yesterday.

Today- not so much. I was upstairs gathering things to go to the pool and he dumped EVERY toy in the downstairs out into two piles to block the doorway to keep the dog in the room. EVERY TOY. I made him clean it up before we left for the pool (again I ended up doing most of it). It took over an hour.

This evening before dinner I asked him to pick up again- mind you it was not bad because we had only been home from the pool for 2 hours. It was a nightmare. He just would not focus or cooperate. Finally the only thing left out was a pile of blocks. I asked him to clean them up while I went into the kitchen to get ready for dinner. Instead of putting the blocks in the bin he scattered (threw) them all over the floor. I was so exasperated I (calmly)sent him to his room until daddy got home (10 minutes).

HELP!

ETA: last year his preschool teacher said that he was the "best cleaner upper" in the class- so he CAN do it, just not at home. :(

doberbrat
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I set the timer and anything that isnt put away gets taken for several weeks. I remind her If she has too many toys to pick up, then she has too many toys.

I also remind her to cleanup throughout the day. certainly before lunch and dinner. so at bedtime it isnt such a big deal.

rlu
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
The time out for items left out works for us most of the time.

We make a game to see who can pick up the toys the fastest.

I have him clean up toys he isn't playing with before he can play with others.

Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions.

tmarie
08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I set the timer and anything that isnt put away gets taken for several weeks. I remind her If she has too many toys to pick up, then she has too many toys.

I also remind her to cleanup throughout the day. certainly before lunch and dinner. so at bedtime it isnt such a big deal.

Ooooo...I might have to try this. To the OP, thanks so much for your post---we are dealing with the same situation here, headstands and all. :) This weekend I read an article about creating a "Pick Up" Fairy. Moms call her if toys are not picked up--the PU Fairy arrives during the night to pick up the toys and take them away to share with other children for a few weeks. I did not expect this to work with dd (also 4yo). However, she was very engaged and has been asking for more details. (She wanted elaboration on the fairy's wand, who exactly gets the toys, etc....) So far, it has worked for three days. I am amazed. When I get the least bit of resistance I walk over to the phone and pretend to start dialing. :)

tmarie
dd#1 '05
dd#2 '08