PDA

View Full Version : Debt consolidation - or any suggestions?

julymommy
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
It has been awhile since I've been around. I have been totally overwhelmed and struggling with what to do - I hate just popping back on the board for advice, but decided to because I am hoping people have suggestions. The last few months have been tough. My job got cut from full to half time and DH has had 4 unpaid weeks off thus far. We owned a condo which we were renting (and covering the mortgage), but one person bought up the rest of the building and basically forced us out (long story and after talking with several lawyers we took the cheapest way out) - and we lost $20K - our savings. My FIL just entered hospice and we have been having to make the trek from Massachusetts to Virginia - and will likely have more visits. To top it off, one of our cars just died. I keep trying to make a budget for us, but things keep coming up. I am considering a debt consolidation program - has anyone ever used one? I feel like we can't get ahead - or even tread water. I know some people have suggested Dave Ramsey. Any suggestions would be welcome.

let73
08-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry for your financial hardships. I'm also going to suggest Dave Ramsey. Here is some of his advice on debt consolidation:
http://www.daveramsey.com/the_truth_about/debt_consolidation_3035.html.cfm
Good luck and hang in there.:hug:

tiapam
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
It must be hard going through your DS's first year with this sort of stress. I don't have any debt consolidation advice. Has your DH lost his job or did he just have to take unpaid time due to budget cuts/lack of work? If he is unemployed, would you be better off relocating near FIL, even temporarily? Is there someone (most likely a relative) you can live with more cheaply for a period of time to get your head above water? Hugs to you, and prayers for your FIL. It is so hard to take care of young children and aging parents at the same time. Hopefully you have lots of help for FIL and can get the most out of the time you have with him.

DebbieJ
08-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Avoid debt consolidation. Most companies are scams or work out deals that you could have brokered yourself.

I am proof that Dave Ramsey's plan works. Definitely check him out and feel free to email me through the boards if you have more questions. I highly recommend taking his Financial Peace University course--it's the best $100 you'll ever spend.