PDA

View Full Version : 50th birthday gift ideas needed - how about Barbie?

alien_host
08-05-2009, 11:14 PM
SIL is turning 50 this year. It just occurred to me that Barbie turned 50 this year. I was thinking of getting a 50th anniversary barbie for her as a gag gift. Is this totally wierd? Would you hate that?

Any suggestions on where to get one cheap? I should have gone out and bought them when they were offered for $3 but I personally am not a big barbie fan and didn't think I'd "need" one. Is the swimsuit one the one? like this one? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3382103 I quickly looked on ebay and there were a lot of different dolls.

Since it's a gag gift, I don't want to spend a ton.

Also any ideas for a more serious gift to accompany a gag gift? I don't really have a price in mind, I guess $50.

Thanks!

sariana
08-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Well, my sister would love it. She is only 38, but she collects Barbies and would love something like this, especially if she shared a birthday.

I think those newspapers you can order from someone's actual birthday are kind of cute. There also are books that compile things that happened in a particular year, or things that were popular that year.

Catalogs such as Miles Kimball and Lillian Vernon sometimes have things like this. There are other catalogs that are more likely to have them, but I can't think of their names offhand.

You can Google "50th birthday gifts" or something like that, and you will get sites that specialize in these types of personalized gifts.

I think the Barbie idea is cute.

Happy 2B mommy
08-06-2009, 12:23 AM
I think the Barbie is a cute idea, -unless your sil despises Barbie.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-06-2009, 12:28 AM
I think it is a cute idea!

CiderLogan
08-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Cute idea. I also like giving itunes gift cards for special birthdays, in the amount of the birthday year (i.e., you could give her a $50 gift card so she could download 50 songs, 'a song for each year')...

alien_host
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I think the Barbie is a cute idea, -unless your sil despises Barbie.

I don't think she despises Barbie, I'm not a fan but would "get" the reason for getting one if I were turning 50 this year. I'm not so sure SIL will get it but it won't be the main gift.

I also have done gift cards in the amount of the birthday year for 30/40 etc. so that's probably a good idea, thanks for the reminder. I like the Itunes idea...maybe I could make a fake playlist and tuck the g/c in a CD jewel case. I could look for a lot of "Birthday" songs.

I've gotten I-tunes at Costco in the past at a discount, but I wonder if I can get one in a $50 denomination. Or if I went to an Apple store would they allow me to combine a bunch of $15s for $50? I have a few unused Itunes g/cs myself.

vonfirmath
08-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Note: lego is also turning 50 this year.