PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Closet Organizer Ideas Needed

Claki
08-06-2009, 01:29 PM
We are getting ready for baby and next on our list... the closet in the baby's room. It's not a walk-in and it's not that big. It's about six feet wide but the doors aren't that wide and there is a couple feet on the sides that extend past the door frame. Currently it just has a shelf with a regular bar for clothes. We need to be able to store diapers, clothes, and other miscellaneous baby gear.

Can you recommend an organization system? We looked at Target and IKEA and didn't see anything that looked like it would work for us. I wish we could just put a dresser in on side, but it won't work because we can't pull the drawers all the way out because the doorway is narrow.

wellyes
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
For the first 6 months we just used hanging shoe holders (something like this (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-0463093-9587846?ASIN=B0018EGJFM&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0018EGJFM|Hanging_18Pocket_Closet_Organizer_B eige&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0018EGJFM&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001)) for outfits and hanging sweater holders (like this (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10746473&sourceid=1500000000000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10746473)) for onesies, blankets, etc. Not the most elegant solution but it worked great. Newborn clothes are too little for hangers. Now that DD is a toddler we have developed a more elaborate system -- wouldn't work with your limited space -- but I am glad I didn't invest much $$ before I had the baby and figured out exactly what I wanted.

Andi98989
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
We're planning on putting a California Closet type of system; Home Depot and Lowes carry all the different components. We've got something like that in our master bedroom closet and love it. There's lots of flexibility in being able to move the shelves and hanging rods around to different levels, which I think will be handy.

longstocking
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I found one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Baby-Closet-Organizer-Blue/dp/B000BUORPI
at Burlington Coat Factory for $10 or $15. I bought baby hangers at Target - $1.00 for 10. It has worked great for organizing the closet. The first 'shelf' is down far enough that I can hang clothes in between each panel above it (if that makes sense).

Claki
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! That Kolcraft organizer looks interesting!

Gene
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
My sister (who has now 4y twins) and I (expecting a girl in a few weeks) are using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-Model-Wire-Cubes-Black/dp/B000789RSQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1250170298&sr=8-3

I have them both inside my closet as well as in the nursery next to the changing table. Very modular. You can also buy "inserts" (canvas "drawers") that fit inside to hold toys, etc. I'm cloth diapering, so my drawers hold my prefolds, covers, inserts, wipes, etc. My sister used hers for all of her clothes and now uses them for shoes and toys (also in her main playroom). So that's another idea.

fedoragirl
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
We used the www.easyclosets.com system. I was able to design the closet myself (online tool) on their web site, send it to a real person for checks, and within a week, they had sent all the parts. It took us a while to install it, but I wouldn't change that for the world. The closet looks amazing, is extremely functional, and adds value to our home.

wendibird22
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
We have two old hand-me down chests of drawers in DDs closet. One is narrow enough that I was able to turn it sideways and put in the part extends back beyond the closet doors. The other is wider but shallow enough that it fits between the back wall and the closet doors and is narrow enough that when the closet door is slid to the side I can pull the drawers out. And since they are hidden in the closet I'm not worried about the color of them or nicks/dings, etc.

A friend did the same thing with drawers she picked up at a yard sale for $10. I figure that some day I could always paint them and move them out into DDs room when her clothes get big enough to hang down from the rod and the drawers are in the way.