PDA

View Full Version : Explain playsilks?

wellyes
08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
So I've heard people recommend playsilks over and over but... what do you do with them?

Sorry for the really dumb question but honestly I can't figure it out. I googled it and it shows kids using playsilks for dress-up. But I've heard of kids under 2 year olds (a bit too young for dress-up) loving them.

I've searched past threads but they're all how do I make them, where do you buy them, etc - not "what in the heck do you DO with them?" So I'm asking :)

stella
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
My 6 year old uses all her grandmother's (and mine!) scarves for dress-up. My 2 year old uses them as blankets for his stuffed animals, puts them on his head to play "where's Henry?", lays them across his lap when he's on the couch, puts them in a bag and carries them around...

We don't have playsilks, but since we have become inundated with the scarves, they are getting a lot of playtime, and I can really see the appeal of playsilks now.

DebbieJ
08-06-2009, 06:17 PM
additionally,
super hero capes
pirate hats

the list goes on and on.....

WatchingThemGrow
08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
We use them in our music class, so they're used a lot for dancing at our house

playing peekaboo
pulling stuffed animals like a sled

AngelaS
08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Mine lay them on the floor and use them as water in their Playmobil set ups or use them to make tents or drape them over the dog or lay them on the floor and drag each other around the room on them. :)

jent
08-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I was wondering this too; I bought them to pack with me for a family vacation & thought I'd have to show the kids how to play with them. But before I said anything, they were being used as blankets for dolls & for peekaboo with my baby niece. DD also uses them to make a pretend indoor playground (each one is a bounce house type thing) and today she used one to imitate the parachute her music class teacher used last week.

vludmilla
08-06-2009, 09:53 PM
All of the above and DD also threw them in the air and watched them float down. She swirled them around in the area like ribbons. She used them as blankets. Pretend water. Pretend grass. Piled them on top of mommy or daddy for hide and seek. We love them. I made them for DD's 2nd birthday last summer.

DrSally
08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
DS likes to dance with them, wave them around, bunch them up and throw them in the air, snuggle like a blankie. DD loves to play peek-a-boo with them. I started by just giving them some square silk scarves I never wore and then got a rainbow playsilk for DD's bday. Everyone at her bday party was perplexed.

Katigre
08-06-2009, 11:29 PM
My DD loooooves her playsilk and has since she was 3-4 months old. She sucks on it, holds it, plays with it in the car, we do peek-a-boo with it and flutter it up and down over her head as a game.

My DS is 3 and enjoys his as a cape mostly.

vonfirmath
10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
If you don't have any and want to get started, waht do you recommend? I know the 35x35 size seems to be the most popular. Is 1 35x35 enough or maybe 3 different colors? Is there a range of sizes we should be looking at?

Does someone sell a starter set for a reasonable price? :)

I have seen the sticks with silks attach -- I'm thinking of getting something like this for my 6 year old nephew. Is he too old?

Would an 8 year old boy be interested in these?

Is 35x35 too big for a young toddler (2 years old). I'm thinking of an activity where I make a box with a hole in the top to pull the silks through. (Like a kleenex box) Should I get the 11x11 for this or would it work with 35x35?

rlu
10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Mostly we use as tails when we pretend to be dogs. Flag tag (like flag football) so no pushing when you "tag".

nellonello
10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
We ended up going to the remnants section of a fabric store and got "silks" really cheap. My 18 mo old loves the ones that have sparkles on them.

DrSally
10-14-2009, 08:57 PM
We ended up going to the remnants section of a fabric store and got "silks" really cheap. My 18 mo old loves the ones that have sparkles on them.

So, did you have to sew them in any way to prevent fraying?

jent
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I have this set from an Etsy seller: http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=17364078

It works out to roughly $6 per silk and I thought that was reasonable; it was also sort of a gift. They are beautiful and really gift-worthy. I think the size (21x21) works pretty well. A 35x35 sounds pretty big; I could see having just 1 or 2 of those. I'm sure kids could manage to play with the 11x11 too.

Since my last post, DD continues to play with her silks frequently. They are nap mats & placemats for her dolls; also they're "booster chairs" for her dolls (fold it up and put it on a chair, thus boosting the doll that essential 1/16 of an inch). Lie one down, put a doll on it, and spin her around on it and it's a merry-go-round. She came up with all of this stuff on her own. Definitely a great purchase.

DrSally
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I have this set from an Etsy seller: http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=17364078

I've had my eye on this set. I'm glad you are happy with them and the seller.

jgenie
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM

They don't seem to have anything in their shop right now. Wonder if they're closing.

Seitvonzu
10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
i ordered a 12 piece set from
www.atoygarden.com

it's 12 silks for 60 dollars which works out to 5 dollars a silk. they are the larger size.

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1105

LOVE them. i actually bought them last christmas (my christmas baby was turning one) and i used them to wrap lucy's birthday gift.s :) it looked BEAUTIFUL and i plan on using them that way each year, maybe for multiple gift giving occasions through the year. we use them for all sorts of things, but even just for the gift wrapping option, they are worth it. we also have this:

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=116

i always wanted playsilks as a child, so i'm not sure if i bought these for me or lucy, but we both love them :)

vonfirmath
10-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm eyeing that set at a toy garden. (and using some for gifts). It's just so hard to "push the trigger" on the sale!

Melaine
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
What about the "grab bag" silks...
http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1448

The size 9 x 54 is $5....but what would that size work for?

vonfirmath
10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
What about the "grab bag" silks...
http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1448

The size 9 x 54 is $5....but what would that size work for?

Roads :) (And rivers I guess). I have the 9 x 54 marigold in my cart right now! (yes, because I don't have commit to $70 (with s&h) at once, the grab bags are actually appealing.

Melaine
10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Ahhh! Gotcha.