PDA

View Full Version : If you have DC that are 2 yrs apart or less

jgenie
08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
and kept older DC in their crib instead of moving to a toddler bed,
- how did it work out?

- was it hard to get older DC in and out of their crib as your pregnancy progressed?

- did you do bedtime for older DC regularly while pregnant or did your DH or someone else help?

TIA

Piglet
08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Congrats on your Feb. surprise!

We kept DS2 in his crib for many months after DD was born. He was happy in his crib and all it cost us was a cheap crib from Ikea for DD to keep him happy.

I don't recall having any issues on the weight lifting front - you will be amazed at how much heavy lifting you will do with this pregnancy compared with the 1st. I was carrying DS2 around when very pregnant with DS1 (they are nearly 4 years apart).

DH has always been on equal bedtime duty. He likes it and I don't love it, so he does it quite often. By that age the routine was short and sweet and didn't involve any rocking or the like, so it didn't make much difference. By the time the baby comes, you will likely need DH to be on bedtime duty for the older one while you deal with the baby, so if you want to get him started early, go for it!

jgenie
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Congrats on your Feb. surprise!

DH has always been on equal bedtime duty. He likes it and I don't love it, so he does it quite often. By that age the routine was short and sweet and didn't involve any rocking or the like, so it didn't make much difference. By the time the baby comes, you will likely need DH to be on bedtime duty for the older one while you deal with the baby, so if you want to get him started early, go for it!

Thanks! - DH travels for work quite a bit so I pretty much handle all bedtimes. He's concerned about me getting hurt trying to get DS in and out of his crib and really wants to transition DS into a toddler bed. I'm hesitant because DS just started STTN at 15 months and I really don't want to mess with that. I also like knowing he's contained at night and in the morning so I can shower and dress without worrying about what he's getting into. Decisions...decisions......

alexsmommy
08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I would talk to your ob regarding the lifting, but unless you have some specific problem that makes lifting dangerous, I'd leave DS in his crib. Having the two year old in a crib may be a biiiiiig help with a newborn in the house.
I'm hoping DS2 will remain in his crib until he is three.

momtojack
08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
DS was 3 yrs, 35+ lbs, and still in the crib when DD was born. Our crib didn't have a drop side and he did not climb in/out by himself, so I lifted him right up until DD was born. DH did help w/ bedtime when he was around, but he often was working late or travelling, so I did bedtime by myself more than half the time. Check w/ your OB, but as long as you have a normal pregancy I don't think it should be an issue. Congratulations on your surprise!

gobadgers
08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I was also putting DD in and out of her crib right up until DS was born. DH does bedtime, but I do naps and get her up in the morning. It helped that DD was standing up to get out, but I put her in lying down. It wasn't a problem, even with a fixed-side crib. I did have trouble changing the Ultimate Crib Sheet though!

I had a vaginal delivery and my recovery was relatively smooth, so I was lifting her in and out again pretty quickly after the delivery. I was lucky to have DH home in the meantime. Others might have suggestions for what to do during recovery - this might be the most difficult time.

calv
08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
i had 2 cribs at one point. my kids stayed in their cribs what seemed late compared to some other kids/parents. i had no problems and thankfully I didn't have attempt escapes of the kids either ;)

we skipped the toddler beds all together even though both cribs turned into one. dumb to even of wasted the money on that type of crib but I'll shut up :P

Anyway, we went right to the mattress on the floor on a bunky board right around 3 years old. easy peasy!

maestramommy
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
We got Dora a crib with a higher rail, and gave the other crib to Arwyn a few months after she was born. Dora is just about to move to a twin bed (this weekend!). When I was pregnant with Arwyn Dh was still doing Dora's bedtime routine, he'd been doing it since the beginning. After ARwyn was big enough to bathe in the regular tub we started doing their routine together. Due to some transition pains, we now take turns bathing them, but the other stands by, holding Laurel, and helping out when needed. Then I read with Dora (she reads to me:p), and then we pray together and put them to bed. This routine has sorta modified itself according to need and circumstance. It'd be nice if Dh was able to keep doing it by himself, but it does take much longer, and now we also have Laurel in the mix.

ETA: I'm sorry I just reread your post. Agree with pp that you should ask your OB about any concerns regarding lifting. It usually is not a problem to keep lifting what you normally do. Even though Dh was putting Dora to bed I was lifting her, carrying her, wearing her, all the time during the day. Same with this last pregnancy. I mean, unless you have hired help, you have to do a certain amount of lifting. However, if you have some issues with your pregnancy, that's why you want to chat with your OB.

nrp
08-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I was also putting DD in and out of her crib right up until DS was born. DH does bedtime, but I do naps and get her up in the morning. It helped that DD was standing up to get out, but I put her in lying down. It wasn't a problem, even with a fixed-side crib. I did have trouble changing the Ultimate Crib Sheet though!

I had a vaginal delivery and my recovery was relatively smooth, so I was lifting her in and out again pretty quickly after the delivery. I was lucky to have DH home in the meantime. Others might have suggestions for what to do during recovery - this might be the most difficult time.

:yeahthat: Except for the vaginal delivery part. I had a cs with DS and couldn't lift DD (then 18 months) for at least three weeks. My mom was here to help or else I don't know what we would have done. So, unless a medical problem crops up during the pregnancy, I think the trickiest time is during your recovery.

DD is still in her crib and we are just now thinking about maybe moving her to a twin bed in a couple of months. If my older DC was just STTN, I wouldn't want to jinx anything!

infocrazy
08-07-2009, 10:01 PM
We bought a second crib since DS1 was happy in a crib, but we moved DS1 into the new crib which was the Levsik (or something) from IKEA which is basically the Crib box without the legs. Mostly because if he started climbing out, which he never did by the way, it was less of a drop, and it also converts to a toddler bed, which he is in now. I would think it would be a lot easier for someone to get him in/out but we are both tall so we never even drop the side on the one does.

scrooks
08-07-2009, 11:04 PM
and kept older DC in their crib instead of moving to a toddler bed,
- how did it work out?

- was it hard to get older DC in and out of their crib as your pregnancy progressed?

- did you do bedtime for older DC regularly while pregnant or did your DH or someone else help?

TIA

We're going through this right now. My DD is just over 2. I still lift her lots and I am 7.5 months along. DH helps when he is here but most times it's just me. Bedtime we almost alway do together but we alternate who reads/puts DD to bed. When I put her to bed I lift her.

We are keeping her in her crib and playing it by ear, I have not bought a new crib yet for DS since he will be in a bassinet for awhile but I'm not ruling a second crib out.

elektra
08-08-2009, 01:09 AM
My kids are just under 26 months apart and there was no way I was moving DD out of her crib. I need her contained!
It did get difficult at the end but the strain from the lifting was much better than the stress of chasing my 2-yo around the house or going in a zillion times to get her back in the toddler bed, which is what I would imagine happening.
I am planning on keeping DD in her crib as long as possible. Basically until she tries to climb out.

Happy Mommy
08-08-2009, 01:17 AM
We bought a second crib for DC #2. Soooooo happy we did that. Both cribs are stationary (no drop down side), and I did not have any trouble putting our DD in her crib even when I was 9 months pregnant--and she was almost 21 months at that time.

She stayed in her crib until almost age 4. She really loved her crib and slept well in it. I was just grateful to not have to transition her before she was ready.

Good luck! :)